Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Sasukekun)
    The answer given for question 8b in that mark scheme is wrong (I think, can anyone confirm)

It says;

2x - 1 = ex - 3e

Then goes to

2x - ex = 3e + 1

But shouldn't it be;

2x - ex = 1 - 3e
    ????

I have it as 1 - 3e

ReputationRep:
    I'm not being arrogant or anything but they made this paper a bit too easy, it's probably going to almost be full raw marks to get 90 ums i doubt it will evn be possible to get 100 ums... I know the last paper was hard but this had no hard questions, in fact some questions just required gcse standard solve the quadratic equation. I think the paper needed a hard trig question or something. No way were any of the question A* standard anyway..
    anyway if you did find it hard, don't take this post the wrong way - just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    I thought the 2 would cause problems in Q1

Also the 4pi in question 7 is going to cause major problems, because if you press (divide) (four) (pi) on your calc what it will do is to divide by 4 and then multiple by pi. Very annoying it is too.

Ha yeah, took me a while to realise that, *damn Calculator* forced me to divide by 4 then by pi, what a hassle :/

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering: For question 7d) i put the times in hours and didnt actually give the two times as a 24hr clock. Would i still get the marks for that? thanks x

OK, for question 2, I got the gradient right, the coordinates right, and used the equation right, but at the end I took the values to different sides so I got 18y-x-54=0 instead of x-18y+54=0. Full marks yes?

ReputationRep:
    For the solution of 4b, don't you have to reject -10/3 since its not valid when you put it back in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hahaohwell)
    I'm not being arrogant or anything but they made this paper a bit too easy, it's probably going to almost be full raw marks to get 90 ums i doubt it will evn be possible to get 100 ums... I know the last paper was hard but this had no hard questions, in fact some questions just required gcse standard solve the quadratic equation. I think the paper needed a hard trig question or something. No way were any of the question A* standard anyway..
    anyway if you did find it hard, don't take this post the wrong way - just my opinion.
    Surely, if you got full marks on the paper, that'd be 100UMS? that's what it was for the last few. .

ReputationRep:
    Think I got ~85ish according to the mark scheme.

For the last question 8b I multiplied everything through by e (to get rid of ln) and solved the quadratic, didn't get the answer on the mark scheme but could I get method marks or was my approach completely wrong?

(Original post by kateibbo)
    I meant 65, but compared to last time, I thought it was a lot easier so I'm worried they will raise the boundaries
    Or is it meant to be around 55 for an A?
    average across all modules is between 58 and 59

Here are the previous A/B boundaries for for C3

June 2005 61 53
    January 2006 61 53
    June 2006 56 49
    January 2007 58 50
    June 2007 59 52
    January 2008 64 56
    June 2008 64 57
    January 2009 60 52
    June 2009 67 59
    January 2010 59 52

In theory if all papers were of the same difficulty Jan boundaries would be higher as there are a higher proportion of more able candidates taking C3 in Jan.

ReputationRep:
    To get an A* do i need to average 67.5 marks on c3 and c4?

ReputationRep:
    For question 7 got both the values of t, but I put my answers down in minutes instead of Hours + Minutes......

Do you think I will be penalised?

ReputationRep:
    I dont really understand the grade boundery thing

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Arsey =) You have just made me one happy girl, by the looks of it, I got what I needed. Revision paid off *dances*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    To get an A* do i need to average 67.5 marks on c3 and c4?
    Besides averaging an A over both As and A2, you need an average of 90UMS+ for the A*, so what mark you need depends on the grade boundaries. .

(Original post by hahaohwell)
    you don't understand how the boundaries are calculated I am afraid.

even on the easiest of easy papers 75/75 is 100UMS

when it is 75/75 for 100UMS then the mark required for 90UMS is halfway between 75 and the boundary for an A.

By the way my professional opinion is that this was NOT an easy paper when compared to previous ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)

when it is 75/75 for 100UMS then the mark required for 90UMS is halfway between 75 and the boundary for an A.

By the way my professional opinion is that this was NOT an easy paper when compared to previous ones.

Arsey, for the very last question, i used a wuotient rule to simplify...i got the same answer as you in both parts if you make my answer witn a common denominator. Like for ex i got 2 +5/x-3 for a) so if you times my answer by x-3 it would be the same... So should i be worried?

(Original post by Pete10)
    Just wondering: For question 7d) i put the times in hours and didnt actually give the two times as a 24hr clock. Would i still get the marks for that? thanks x
    it said to the nearest min so you will probably lose a mark for not converting into hours and minutes but there is no need to add 12 as that is stated in the qu already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)

shout and thanks Arsey, you've taken the pressure off c4 a bit

(Original post by Loz17)
    OK, for question 2, I got the gradient right, the coordinates right, and used the equation right, but at the end I took the values to different sides so I got 18y-x-54=0 instead of x-18y+54=0. Full marks yes?
    yep, unless it specifically says a>0 in the question

ReputationRep:
    that went such a lot better than expected, in question 7 d when they asked for timings do you think they wanted the time as in i think it was 2:06 and 6:43 or is 126minutes and 403minutes enough, cant remember if these are the exact amounts that i got

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.