Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Curry Rice)
    For the solution of 4b, don't you have to reject -10/3 since its not valid when you put it back in?
    no it is valid

y = 15 + x will cross the modulus graph twice, hence two solutions.

(Original post by Arsey)
    yep, unless it specifically says a>0 in the question
    Don't think so so should be ok.

(Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    To get an A* do i need to average 67.5 marks on c3 and c4?
    not necessarily, it depends on the grade boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    How much do you think it is to full marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    you don't understand how the boundaries are calculated I am afraid.

even on the easiest of easy papers 75/75 is 100UMS

when it is 75/75 for 100UMS then the mark required for 90UMS is halfway between 75 and the boundary for an A.

By the way my professional opinion is that this was NOT an easy paper when compared to previous ones.
    Ok thanks for that. It's a relief you say that it wasn't "easy" i just found it easy in compariosn to the past papers i did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    yep, unless it specifically says a>0 in the question
    i thought it was +52, not 54? isn't that what it says in the mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    it said to the nearest min so you will probably lose a mark for not converting into hours and minutes but there is no need to add 12 as that is stated in the qu already.

Is there any risk of losing marks for converting into 14:.. and 18:.. and i added both my values onto 12.

Ta

ReputationRep:
    i personally found this a tough exam but ive never liked c3 much. i love c4 but c3 i cant get my head round all the trig i reckon i got 51/75 so if the grade boundaries are high what do you reckon this converts into ums as??

ReputationRep:
    In question two, I did everything right up until the point of making -18 into 1/18, which lead to me putting -18 into the equation instead

How many marks out of 7 will I get roughly?

ReputationRep:
    7d) Stated find the time t to the nearest minute.... It did not state give the times in hours, or give the value of t, It said find the times.... I hate their ambiguity. Surely when they say find something to the nearest second, you don't give your answer as Hours:Minuteseconds? Just Seconds...

Why should it be different here? I gave my answer to the nearest minute in minutes, as it didn't specify "Give t in hours".

(Original post by Arbitrage)
    For question 7 got both the values of t, but I put my answers down in minutes instead of Hours + Minutes......

Do you think I will be penalised?
    hmmm, tricky one.

It said give to the nearest minute so I would have thought you would be okay. You might have needed to add after 12:00 though.

(Original post by Roxalana)
    Arsey, for the very last question, i used a wuotient rule to simplify...i got the same answer as you in both parts if you make my answer witn a common denominator. Like for ex i got 2 +5/x-3 for a) so if you times my answer by x-3 it would be the same... So should i be worried?
    i don't understand why you would use the quotient rule, this had nothing to do with differentiation. I would be worried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    not necessarily, it depends on the grade boundaries.
    I made a careless mistake took tan = 1
    How much will I loose?

ReputationRep:
    There's me saying this was easy and i just see that i cocked 1b up - i just assumed that the second equation was the same as the one in part a. Oh dear i am an idiot. anyway i hope people found the paper alright and good luck for C4

ReputationRep:
    In one of the questions they asked for exact coodrinadtaes and i got they right x values x=1 and x=3.5 but for my values i didnt give exact values and give it to 2dp will i lose 1 or 2 marks for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    i don't understand why you would use the quotient rule, this had nothing to do with differentiation. I would be worried.
    no no... i mean i divided the fraction sorry..and then did the remainder theorem

(Original post by Pegasus92)
    How much do you think it is to full marks?
    it is hard to say. In 4 of the last 5 papers it has been 75/75 for 100UMS. Maybe 74 if people have done badly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    no it is valid

y = 15 + x will cross the modulus graph twice, hence two solutions.
    for this question I got an answer of -20/3 :s

ReputationRep:
    Eh maybe it's just me complaining because I lost the mark. But a mark shouldn't be rewarded for adding 126 minutes on to 12:00pm, at C4 standard? That's ridiculous, of course we all know how to do that ...

Edit: So you don't necessarily need 75 for 100 UMS? You can have 74?

(Original post by hahaohwell)
    Ok thanks for that. It's a relief you say that it wasn't "easy" i just found it easy in compariosn to the past papers i did.
    Just a sign you were well prepared. Don't forget the more papers you do the easier they become.

Regardless, it doesn't matter if I or anyone else thinks it is 'easy' or not. The boundaries are dependent on how everyone else did.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.