Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Arsey I downloaded your mark scheme (thanks for that). For q6c i remember i put down f(x-3)-4 in the exam, is that enough to get full marks for that part of the question?

(Original post by Sasukekun)
    Eh maybe it's just me complaining because I lost the mark. But a mark shouldn't be rewarded for adding 126 minutes on to 12:00pm, at C4 standard? That's ridiculous, of course we all know how to do that ...

Edit: So you don't necessarily need 75 for 100 UMS? You can have 74?
    it has been MUCH lower in the past. M1 Jan 2009 springs to mind, that was a nasty paper.

Anyone here release an unofficial marking scheme of C3? I think I saw a thread, not sure.

(Original post by masternutter)
    Arsey I downloaded your mark scheme (thanks for that). For q6c i remember i put down f(x-3)-4 in the exam, is that enough to get full marks for that part of the question?
    I doubt it, I think you will lose a mark.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks alot for posting the questions.. I've been waiting the whole day. It's highly appreciated.

& btw. I was wondering what total do you think you should get out of 75 to get a full 100 mark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sasukekun)
    Eh maybe it's just me complaining because I lost the mark. But a mark shouldn't be rewarded for adding 126 minutes on to 12:00pm, at C4 standard? That's ridiculous, of course we all know how to do that ...

Edit: So you don't necessarily need 75 for 100 UMS? You can have 74?
    correct, in fact if you did c2 in january 2010 and got 68/75, you would have gotten 100 UMS (i think), if getting an A is something like 55/75, then if you get 67-70 marks, youll get 100 UMS, thats why setting harder maths papers is what edexcel should do (and what they are starting to do, with more stretch and challenge questions in every exam), as they allow the best candidates to make mistakes yet still achieve a very high grade

(Original post by S-man10)
    Anyone here release an unofficial marking scheme of C3? I think I saw a thread, not sure.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...&postcount=369

ReputationRep:
    What do you think the UMS scaling will be like???? i think i got 63 or 64 out of 75 at best :/ :/ :/

(Original post by FZka)
    Thanks alot for posting the questions.. I've been waiting the whole day. It's highly appreciated.

& btw. I was wondering what total do you think you should get out of 75 to get a full 100 mark?
    it is rarely much below 75 on C3. It has been 75/75 for 100UMS on 4 of the last 5 papers - my guess would be 74

ReputationRep:
    what do you rate the chances of a good raw mark to UMS conversion for this exam? what have the rates been like on past C3 exams?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got an idea of how many marks I will lose on Q1b, I didn't see a 2 had been added in front of the identity so took arctan = 1 and worked out two solutions from that.
    Also Q2 i made a really stupid mistake when differentiating using quotient rule and got gradient as 30. But my method was correct to obtain x and y co-ordinates and working out the normal equation of a line. How many marks out of 7 do you reckon??

(Original post by Muliqueen)
    what do you rate the chances of a good raw mark to UMS conversion for this exam? what have the rates been like on past C3 exams?
    June 2005 61 53
    January 2006 61 53
    June 2006 56 49
    January 2007 58 50
    June 2007 59 52
    January 2008 64 56
    June 2008 64 57
    January 2009 60 52
    June 2009 67 59
    January 2010 59 52

I don't think it will be too far away from 60 for an A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    i don't understand why you would use the quotient rule, this had nothing to do with differentiation. I would be worried.
    no no... i mean i divided the fraction sorry..and then did the remainder theorem

Thank you.

(Original post by Watmo_92)
    Anyone got an idea of how many marks I will lose on Q1b, I didn't see a 2 had been added in front of the identity so took arctan = 1 and worked out two solutions from that.
    Also Q2 i made a really stupid mistake when differentiating using quotient rule and got gradient as 30. But my method was correct to obtain x and y co-ordinates and working out the normal equation of a line. How many marks out of 7 do you reckon??
    you will get just 1 mark and only if you -180 from 45 to get the second answer.

ReputationRep:
    this may seem a little picky, but for the range question i didnt fully read the boundaris of gx and put the range as >=-3 only would i get one or two marks or is it difficult to say cos i solved the square and got one of the boundaries so i was optimistically thinking 2 but wasnt sure

(Original post by Roxalana)
    no no... i mean i divided the fraction sorry..and then did the remainder theorem
    ah, it is a strange method and I don't think it really helps too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    it is rarely much below 75 on C3. It has been 75/75 for 100UMS on 4 of the last 5 papers - my guess would be 74
    i have a few questions,

for the range question, firstly, i completed the square and got the same as you did in the mark scheme, i then drew a graph of the curve and i got a range of -3<=g(x)<=0. which is wrong. How many marks would i get for this?

for 7(d), would u only lose one mark for just putting down the values of t and not converting them to minutes, hours etc.?

Also, for the very last question i got 3e-1/e-2. this is equivalent to the answer in the mark scheme, but would i still get the marks?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    In question two, I did everything right up until the point of making -18 into 1/18, which lead to me putting -18 into the equation instead

How many marks out of 7 will I get roughly?

(Original post by dgb93)
    this may seem a little picky, but for the range question i didnt fully read the boundaris of gx and put the range as >=-3 only would i get one or two marks or is it difficult to say cos i solved the square and got one of the boundaries so i was optimistically thinking 2 but wasnt sure
    I would say 2/3

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.