Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    ah, it is a strange method and I don't think it really helps too much.
    yeah but my answer is the same as yours if you make my with a common denominator, i dont think its wrong? no?

(Original post by malteser12345)
    i have a few questions,

for the range question, firstly, i completed the square and got the same as you did in the mark scheme, i then drew a graph of the curve and i got a range of -3<=g(x)<=0. which is wrong. How many marks would i get for this?

for 7(d), would u only lose one mark for just putting down the values of t and not converting them to minutes, hours etc.?

Also, for the very last question i got 3e-1/e-2. this is equivalent to the answer in the mark scheme, but would i still get the marks?

Thanks.
    if you completed the square correctly and put g>=-3 i would say 2/3

yes I think you will lose just 1 mark on Q7

the last one is fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    you will get just 1 mark and only if you -180 from 45 to get the second answer.
    i would disagree if enough people misread the extra 2 then the examiners may be more leniant(or correct spelling) in the markscheme you cant really be sure so just dont worry about it

(Original post by Roxalana)
    yeah but my answer is the same as yours if you make my with a common denominator, i dont think its wrong? no?
    i will write it out tomorrow and have a look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    I would say 2/3
    How many do you think i'd lose for not seeing in 7d that they wanted 2 answers, but got the first one right?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    hey, just noticing, thinking ive done somthing retarded on the last question; I divided the fraction giving me 2 + 5/(x-3), this is 'equivalent' to the answer given in the markscheme, but im not sure if it would be credited. I then applied that in part C, and from what I can see it gave me the correct value of x in terms of e, but rearranged differently. How will they view this? The rest of the paper seemed fine (hopefully full/near full marks there) If this last question could cause problems i'm gonna have to ******* turn up for C4 on friday... (got 88 in c3 in 2009, and 91 in c4 in jan.. fml)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dgb93)
    i would disagree if enough people misread the extra 2 then the examiners may be more leniant(or correct spelling) in the markscheme you cant really be sure so just dont worry about it
    Ahh cool, Im not too worried, was just curious, the exam went pretty well for me thank god. Now I've got C4 to look forward to on Friday :/

(Original post by dgb93)
    The mark scheme has nothing to do with how people have done, it is written well in advance. The 2 was quite deliberate. There is no chance you will get 2 marks for 45 and -135. There was also a massive clue when it said give answers to 1dp.

ReputationRep:
    Arsey
    for 7 d)
    I got the solutions, but I wrote it in the form such as
    14:06
    and 18:43
    obviously its equivalent, but would you expect it to be allowed.

Also for the 6c)
    I stupidly wrote f(x) as f(x^2 -3) -4 instead of the squared outside, 1 mark possibly?

5 c) I left it as the two seperate without factorising the e^-x out. but did this bit in the part d) instead, is that a bad mistake on my half or will they accept that?

Finally
    5 d) I made dy/dx = 0
    showed e-x is not a solution
    had a neg x^2 (did dy/dx the otehr way) and could not solve it, attempted factorise and quadratic, but did not get the same as these, i ended with -9+(root 54) / 4 and the same with a - root 54.
    ecf? or a method mark right?

Anyway, thanks a lot for the mark scheme as usual, it takes alot of pressure of C4 for me!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1308126

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else find it worryingly easy?
    Just been reading through everyone's posts and it doesn't seeeeem like that.. But I did! O_O Oh God, I bet I've done it all wrong!! D: Okay, markscheme time! Let's see how I diiiiid!

(Original post by munaaf)
    Arsey
    for 7 d)
    I got the solutions, but I wrote it in the form such as
    14:06
    and 18:43
    obviously its equivalent, but would you expect it to be allowed.

Also for the 6c)
    I stupidly wrote f(x) as f(x^2 -3) -4 instead of the squared outside, 1 mark possibly?

5 c) I left it as the two seperate without factorising the e^-x out. but did this bit in the part d) instead, is that a bad mistake on my half or will they accept that?

Finally
    5 d) I made dy/dx = 0
    showed e-x is not a solution
    had a neg x^2 (did dy/dx the otehr way) and could not solve it, attempted factorise and quadratic, but did not get the same as these, i ended with -9+(root 54) / 4 and the same with a - root 54.
    ecf? or a method mark right?

Anyway, thanks a lot for the mark scheme as usual, it takes alot of pressure of C4 for me!
    Q7 is fine, better answer if anything

Q6 I think the fact you put x^2 will mean 0/2

Q5 is fine, you didn't need to factorise at that stage

5d is going to be costly maybe 1/5

ReputationRep:
    also, munaaf, I gave the times for part D as 24h times. It seemed ever so slightly ambiguous in the question so I put in that form to be on the safe side (I also have the actual hour values before, so just added twelve onto my answers) Hopefully they wont mind.

ReputationRep:
    i failed miserably, how many ums do you think 40 marks will earn me?

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I cannot quiet understand is how are people getting two times for question 7 part d? Surely according to the sketch of the sine in the interval 0 to pi. You get a minimum and a maximum (each one only once) so therefore by definition (as they asked you for a maximum value) you would only take the sin=pi/2 one and get the time as 2h06min? Or am I talking nonesense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dim0nIX)
    The only thing I cannot quiet understand is how are people getting two times for question 7 part d? Surely according to the sketch of the sine in the interval 0 to pi. You get a minimum and a maximum (each one only once) so therefore by definition (as they asked you for a maximum value) you would only take the sin=pi/2 one and get the time as 2h06min? Or am I talking nonesense?
    The question said times anyway so you definitely had to get more than one.

ReputationRep:
    For giving g>=3 only how much do I score Arsey?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smeh)
    The question said times anyway so you definitely had to get more than one.
    True - I am a retard. Forgive me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure there were two values for the time. Even if you think about it with common sense, if its a tidal pattern, and we arent discussing max/min values, then the tide must pass through a given point twice in any period. Anyone got any input on my post regarding question 8? As I said, i'm fairly sure my maths was correct, but the form wasn't probabl what they were looking for, and naturally then my value for x, although correct, isnt in the form that would appear in the markscheme.

EDIT: Part C of q7 asked for the time its at a max or somthing (therefore one value) part D looked for time at which tide is a given level (therefore two answers). Forgive me if i'm wrong but that appeared to be what the question was looking for.

ReputationRep:
    How many marks would I lose on 7d for only calculating one time? and not two?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 27, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.