Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    60 raw marks ~80 UMS, what do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    For the "Say why the inverse is not a function"

I said it's because it's SQRT(x + something) + something

Thus ONE x value gets mapped on to TWO y values, thus it's not a function.

Would that get the mark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deno_7951)
    I'm pretty sure there were two values for the time. Even if you think about it with common sense, if its a tidal pattern, and we arent discussing max/min values, then the tide must pass through a given point twice in any period. Anyone got any input on my post regarding question 8? As I said, i'm fairly sure my maths was correct, but the form wasn't probabl what they were looking for, and naturally then my value for x, although correct, isnt in the form that would appear in the markscheme.

I did the same !

I think its right as it is the first thing we are told in C3 new book
    i mean it says that when the numerator and denominator have the same or higher powers we should divide and then do the remainder theorem

i got the exact answers as you

ReputationRep:
    I think if you wrote, 'for this function two x values get mapped to one y value therefore not function' you would be fine. The terminology I guess they were looking for was 'many-to-one, therefore no inverse'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    Q7 is fine, better answer if anything

Q6 I think the fact you put x^2 will mean 0/2

Q5 is fine, you didn't need to factorise at that stage

5d is going to be costly maybe 1/5
    will 71/75 raw marks guareente me a 90+?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxalana)
    I did the same !

I think its right as it is the first thing we are told in C3 new book
    i mean it says that when the numerator and denominator have the same or higher powers we should divide and then do the remainder theorem

i got the exact answers as you
    Yeh, it's been so long since i've actually picked up a C3 textbook I barely remember the techniques specific to each module. Is it a C4 technique maybe? I'm fairly certain our maths is correct, but they may get real pedantic and not credit us. I take it you then got a value for x using your simplified fraction that was different in form to the one given in the markscheme here? I quickly worked through the question using my method and from a quick glance it would appear the value for x I would have got is equivalent to the 'correct' response.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon I got 69/75
    Will this deffo be 80UMS+ ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    Q7 is fine, better answer if anything

Q6 I think the fact you put x^2 will mean 0/2

Q5 is fine, you didn't need to factorise at that stage

5d is going to be costly maybe 1/5
    cheers, pretty much what i was expecting, I probably should have done better with 5d, but this went a lot better than jan 2010. I think ~64-66 from this MS available.
    :woo:

ReputationRep:
    How may marks would you lose for not stating both solutions to question 7 part (d) and only finding one time? One or two?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sss10)
    I reckon I got 69/75
    Will this deffo be 80UMS+ ?
    I think it definetly be an A, might be a 90+ too.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, it's been so long since i've actually picked up a C3 textbook I barely remember the techniques specific to each module. Is it a C4 technique maybe? I'm fairly certain our maths is correct, but they may get real pedantic and not credit us. I take it you then got a value for x using your simplified fraction that was different in form to the one given in the markscheme here? I quickly worked through the question using my method and from a quick glance it would appear the value for x I would have got is equivalent to the 'correct' response.
    Yes thats what i did as well, exactly the same... To be honest i think we are exaggerating the problem)) I mean if the answers are equal, there should be no problem

ReputationRep:
    Hi Arsey,
    nice one on uploading the markscheme mate!
    Just wondering...made a stupid decision
    for the very last question 8(e), I misread the question, and expressed e in terms of x, rather than the other way round. So, my first steps were correct, but i left the answer as e = the fraction involving x terms. So, I never rearranged it, to give "x = ......"
    How many marks out of 4, do u think I will get:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus92)
    I think it definetly be an A, might be a 90+ too.
    I really, really, really hope thats 90+. I absolutely MUST get above 90% otherwise I am ******.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thanks arsey for the marking scheme.

ReputationRep:
    Yes thats what i did as well, exactly the same... To be honest i think we are exaggerating the problem)) I mean if the answers are equal, there should be no problem
    I read the question again a min ago, it says 'simplify fully' not 'express as a single fraction in its simplest form' or whatever, so i'd say our method should be fine. Hopefully if it isn't in the markscheme, our marker will have the sense to see what we did. I'm prolly gonna have to fking revise C4 now just to be on the safe side. If I miss my offer for imperial over one goddamn UMS point i'm gonna freak out. Anyone else care to give their input on this method we used?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dim0nIX)
    I really, really, really hope thats 90+. I absolutely MUST get above 90% otherwise I am ******.
    Where did you loose your marks?

ReputationRep:
    as long as the answers are the same they will have to give you the marks as valid mathematical methods have been used to get the right answer, it might be a problem if your answer is considered to be insufficiently simplified though

ReputationRep:
    I read the question again a min ago, it says 'simplify fully' not 'express as a single fraction in its simplest form' or whatever, so i'd say our method should be fine. Hopefully if it isn't in the markscheme, our marker will have the sense to see what we did. I'm prolly gonna have to fking revise C4 now just to be on the safe side. If I miss my offer for imperial over one goddamn UMS point i'm gonna freak out. Anyone else care to give their input on this method we used?
    I am planning to apply for the same course at Imperial as you. So may I ask you a question, please? What percentage did you get for your AS maths? (In UMS ofcourse).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    R is definitely 2.5
    I reckon I got 49-51 marks, is that enough for a B do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, can someone tell me how many marks I'd lose here:
    Q7) a) I accidentally did cosAcosB-sinAsinB instead of sinAcosB-cosAsinB.. I got the rest of the method right though.. Will this get one, possibly two, marks out of three? I got the correct value for R, as well.

And will I get marks in the other parts of the question if I've used my incorrect value of alpha? Method marks or something?
    An estimate would be really, reeeally appreciated!

Humm, it's so annoying when you lose marks just because you copy something down wrong or make a silly mistake like that..! :P

Thank youuu for help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.