Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    arrrrrrgh 5d) forgot to find the y co-ordinates

and 7d) are you sure the second solution is not 6.72 as i have that saved to my calculator, hopefully it can be left in decimal form...

What do you reckon I've lost for these mistakes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dim0nIX)
    I am planning to apply for the same course at Imperial as you. So may I ask you a question, please? What percentage did you get for your AS maths? (In UMS ofcourse).
    Erm I can't remember specific module scores off the top of my head, but my current average is low to mid 90's across maths and further maths.

Imperial don't look at your module scores for physics. They do a fairly academic interview though (pen and paper questions), so I guess that's how they sort the 'wheat from the chaff'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbii)
    as long as the answers are the same they will have to give you the marks as valid mathematical methods have been used to get the right answer, it might be a problem if your answer is considered to be insufficiently simplified though
    Its not insufficiently simplified as the answer i got is the same if you make mine with a common denominator...so yeah i guess its fine

ReputationRep:
    72-73/75 i reckon what i got.. not sure with my explanation with the function i put: range has many domain... and for question 7: i put an extra number in 7bii) 2.2143 as opposed to the answer (but the question did not ask me to put it into 4 significant figures) and i also put 7d into 126min and 403 min, not 2hr6min and 6hr43min format. What yah think guys? will the examiner accept these answers to get me my first ever full mark? i am really happy.. best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Q 3)C) x3 = 1.2918 not 1.2917
    b/c you should take x2 = 1.2867, and when you put it into the formula u get 8 not 7 at the end, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    Here are my solutions.

On the face of it quite a tricky one I thought.
    FOr numer 7 they asked for a time so didn't you have to add the time onto 12:00 ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wayi)
    72-73/75 i reckon what i got.. not sure with my explanation with the function i put: range has many domain... and for question 7: i put an extra number in 7bii) 2.2143 as opposed to the answer (but the question did not ask me to put it into 4 significant figures) and i also put 7d into 126min and 403 min, not 2hr6min and 6hr43min format. What yah think guys? will the examiner accept these answers to get me my first ever full mark? i am really happy.. best of luck!
    I think giving the time in mins deserves full marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NorthPark)
    FOr numer 7 they asked for a time so didn't you have to add the time onto 12:00 ?
    They did yeah, but I'd think (or at least hope!) that if you'd done well enough to get the answers and at least changed them from hours to minutes they would be kind enough to give you full marks
    Regardless, I did write them as hh:mm

ReputationRep:
    oh.. as in 75/75? id be so happy less pressure to get a A or even A*..

ReputationRep:
    Okayy, not including question 7 I got 59/60 (I wrote some nonsense like 'because it's an x^2 function' for why f doesn't have an inverse xD)
    But I'm not sureee how many marks to give myself for Q7 (see my post before last..!)
    I guess I'll go check out an previous year's markscheme, see how they deal with a similar thing..
    Unless anyone happens to know..? :P

ReputationRep:
    I feel like crying, it was quite an easy paper and I messed it up.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I got an incorrect value for alpha in 7a, but according to past mark schemes for similar questions, you get full marks for the subsequent parts if you correctly follow through with your value?

Soooooooo... That's pretty sweeeet

Around 70/75, I'd say!! Woooo
    What UMS would that be, does anyone know?
    Or is there anywhere I can see previous years' raw to UMS ratio?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus92)
    I feel like crying, it was quite an easy paper and I messed it up.
    Ohh, sorry to hear that You probably didn't do as badly as you think though And lots of people found it reeeeally tricky! So don't worry too much!

Although I have this naaasty fear that they will give us a HORRENDOUS C4 paper to make up for this..
    Ohhh, I don't know what to do! My two hardest exams are on Friday, C4 and Socrates (ClasCiv).. Hummmm, I guess I should PROBABLY go to bed and then get up bright and early for some non-stop revish xD

Good night all, nothing we can do about C3 now, anyway! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxxeh)
    Ohh, sorry to hear that You probably didn't do as badly as you think though And lots of people found it reeeeally tricky! So don't worry too much!

Although I have this naaasty fear that they will give us a HORRENDOUS C4 paper to make up for this..
    Ohhh, I don't know what to do! My two hardest exams are on Friday, C4 and Socrates (ClasCiv).. Hummmm, I guess I should PROBABLY go to bed and then get up bright and early for some non-stop revish xD

Good night all, nothing we can do about C3 now, anyway! :p:
    Thank god, I'm not doing C4 this year, so I don't need to worry much about it.
    Good luck for your 2 exams.

ReputationRep:
    FOR 7(d) ... i didn't use the RSIN (THETA -ALPHA) IDENTITY THING... FOR SEVEN (d) 6 + 2 sin (angle given) - 1.5 cos (angle given) = 7

instead

first carry across six
    then divide through out by cos (angle given)
    NB - LET ANGLE GIVEN = X , just for simplicity for now okk

2 tan x - 1.5 = sec x
    4 tan squared x - (1.5) squared = sec squared x = tan squared x +1
    then kept on working from there
    and then work it out >>> could i do that????
    some one quote me and reply !!!

ReputationRep:
    do you reckon they will accept
    t = 2 hours 6 minutes
    t = 6 hours 43 minutes.

if they dont, it would be a stupid reason to lose a mark. -.-
    im a bit worried about the grade boundaries because june 2009 was really riduculous!

75/75 = 100 UMS
    74/75 = 95 UMS
    73/75 = 93 UMS

do u think they will put it the same as that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by killfestab)
    do you reckon they will accept
    t = 2 hours 6 minutes
    t = 6 hours 43 minutes.

if they dont, it would be a stupid reason to lose a mark. -.-
    im a bit worried about the grade boundaries because june 2009 was really riduculous!

75/75 = 100 UMS
    74/75 = 95 UMS
    73/75 = 93 UMS

do u think they will put it the same as that?
    Hope it goes low, I'm getting around 71/75 if the grade boundries are so high I won't be able to get my 90+.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vidur)
    FOR 7(d) ... i didn't use the RSIN (THETA -ALPHA) IDENTITY THING... FOR SEVEN (d) 6 + 2 sin (angle given) - 1.5 cos (angle given) = 7

instead

first carry across six
    then divide through out by cos (angle given)
    NB - LET ANGLE GIVEN = X , just for simplicity for now okk

2 tan x - 1.5 = sec x
    4 tan squared x - (1.5) squared = sec squared x = tan squared x +1
    then kept on working from there
    and then work it out >>> could i do that????
    some one quote me and reply !!!
    Did you get the correct times?

ReputationRep:
    Fudge. Think I buggered up 7d - I timesed the 0.6 something by something less than 25 apparently, because I got it to 1.6 in the exam :/

I got everything else right, and my working was right, so hoping for 3/4 for method there. Also, I forgot to put the time down for the previous question -_-. One mark there.

Everything else right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwilightKnight)
    Fudge. Think I buggered up 7d - I timesed the 0.6 something by something less than 25 apparently, because I got it to 1.6 in the exam :/

I got everything else right, and my working was right, so hoping for 3/4 for method there. Also, I forgot to put the time down for the previous question -_-. One mark there.

Everything else right.
    What do you think the grade boundries would be?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 27, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.