The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Think i lost about 6 marks, don't know how this will translate and you never know how nice the MS is going to be in terms of follow through marks; since it was the tricky long questions where i've slipped up slightly, never the simple ones.

Also, Thoughts on this......?
Question 6c) find f(x)
It's an x squared graph 3 right 4 down
so i did get (x^2 -3) - 4 = y

but then if you take the values they've given you and test them out it doesn't work.... See more

A set of coordinated is, A(3, -4 )

3 squared - 3 = 6 take 4 = 2

So that doesn't give you the right values......
Reply 661
Hey arsey, for question 1 i did tan theta= 1 instead of 1/2 is that all the marks lost?
This is mad! I did no revision, felt the paper went crap because I was just guessing everything but my answers don't differ from the mark scheme :smile:
Reply 663
Arsey
if you completed the square correctly and put g>=-3 i would say 2/3

yes I think you will lose just 1 mark on Q7

the last one is fine.

I was wondering, if i worked out the upper limit of the range by putting the maximum value x could be (5) into f(x), but did not complete the square to find the lower limit, how many marks would i get out of 3?

I was hoping i would get 2/3, but im guessing it could be 1 for not completing the square even though i did a correct method to find the upper limit?
Reply 664
Stephen John
Think i lost about 6 marks, don't know how this will translate and you never know how nice the MS is going to be in terms of follow through marks; since it was the tricky long questions where i've slipped up slightly, never the simple ones.

Also, Thoughts on this......?
Question 6c) find f(x)
It's an x squared graph 3 right 4 down
so i did get (x^2 -3) - 4 = y

but then if you take the values they've given you and test them out it doesn't work.... See more

A set of coordinated is, A(3, -4 )

3 squared - 3 = 6 take 4 = 2

So that doesn't give you the right values......

u must do (x - 3) ^2. otherwise its wrong as that isnt how you work out composite functions.
Reply 665
Arsey
I would say you will lose a method and accuracy mark.

For 7(d) I put the 2 answers you gave, but didnt see the limit and put 2 more answers as well as I did another rotation on the CAST diagram :o: How many marks would this normally lose? this and solving fg(2) were my only mistakes I dont know how i got fg(2) wrong
I put g(x) into f(x) then and simplified the x values before putting the 2 in
Reply 666
i used the quotient rule to differentiate q2, will i lose all the marks?
Trickey paper I would say. Two mistakes -

1. 2nd question, forgot to add the -3 times bit due to chain rule. Assuming ECF... how many marks would I loose there?

2. Got 0<y<6 for the range instead of -3<y<6.
Reply 668
well this could be as high grade boundary as last year.!
Reply 669
mainir72
Hey arsey, for question 1 i did tan theta= 1 instead of 1/2 is that all the marks lost?

you will get a method mark if you did 45 - 180 = -135 to get a second angle.
Reply 670
conorf199
For 7(d) I put the 2 answers you gave, but didnt see the limit and put 2 more answers as well as I did another rotation on the CAST diagram :o: How many marks would this normally lose? this and solving fg(2) were my only mistakes I dont know how i got fg(2) wrong
I put g(x) into f(x) then and simplified the x values before putting the 2 in

depends on the mark scheme sometimes it says to ignore subsequent angles, sometimes this is penalised.
Reply 671
shottysb
i used the quotient rule to differentiate q2, will i lose all the marks?

No! of course not :smile: that's what i did
Reply 672
asdabread
No! of course not :smile: that's what i did

so are we correct?
Reply 673
shottysb
so are we correct?

did you get the right answer? if so, then of course you will be credited with all the marks. if not, you still won't lose all the marks just because you used quotient rule. they are both acceptable.
Reply 674
Smeh
:sadnod:
Wonder how lenient they'll be with this whole A* business :moon:

i dont think theyl be too lenient as we're talking imperial :frown:, i do further maths as well and if i come out with two A's rather than an A* does that necessarily make me a weaker mathematician than the ones who gain only the A* in maths, its tricky and i can see c4 being quite hard too.
I know this was an average standard paper but I found it difficult for some weird reason :s-smilie:

I messed up on question 2, couldn't do the 5 marker turning point question on question 5, and couldn't do the 'find t' question with the massive equation. I think I got about 45/70, what grade boundary would this be in??
Reply 676
asdabread
did you get the right answer? if so, then of course you will be credited with all the marks. if not, you still won't lose all the marks just because you used quotient rule. they are both acceptable.

i got a different answer as i got the gradient as a 1/2.
you did the quotient rule did u get the answer on the mark scheme?
Reply 677
Varciani
I know this was an average standard paper but I found it difficult for some weird reason :s-smilie:

I messed up on question 2, couldn't do the 5 marker turning point question on question 5, and couldn't do the 'find t' question with the massive equation. I think I got about 45/70, what grade boundary would this be in??

In june 09, 45 was the lowest boundary for a D. In Jan 09, 45 was the lowest C boundary. I feel this paper was in the middle, so i would estimate a D.
Reply 678
shottysb
i got a different answer as i got the gradient as a 1/2.
you did the quotient rule did u get the answer on the mark scheme?

Yes. i got the right answer by using the qoutient rule. you'll just as many marks and people who used the chain rule and got it wrong
Reply 679
having just looked through the June 09 paper (67 for an A) I would say June 10 was definitely harder.

Latest

Trending

Trending