Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whisperings)
    Thank you, you're a star
    According to this I lost about 4-5 marks max as well in the same places as you, but I'm gonna say 10 just to avoid disappointment :p:
    I really hope the paper will have same grade boundaries as in January 2009, very simmilar paper format to that one (and a big question on trig as well)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anradu)
    @ tomcoe123

Would 69/75 not be 90 UMS?
    Well C3 is generally quite easy, and most students do well in C3 compared to C4 and other modules. So the UMS always gets moderated so although 69/75 is over 90% marks it wont necessarily be 90 UMS. All the people i have spoken to appear to have done better than me so I dont know.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmalive)
    Ditto! I also lost 9-11 marks, and worked out the last Q that way! Im hoping we still get 2/4, as method still makes sense...i think.
    yeh exactly! last question did you get something like root-e+2.25 and then outside +3.5 ??? i dont understand how my method is wrong! it all makes mathematical sense! yeh ill be really happy if we get like 2/4 at least!

ReputationRep:
    How many marks would be dropped for answering 7d with 126mins and 403mins, as opposed to 2:06pm etc?
    Any predictions on grade boundaries? Is it likely for 90% raw marks to be higher or lower than 90% UMS given the difficulty?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blergh22)
    How many marks would be dropped for answering 7d with 126mins and 403mins, as opposed to 2:06pm etc?
    Any predictions on grade boundaries? Is it likely for 90% raw marks to be higher or lower than 90% UMS given the difficulty?
    Probably 1 or 2, I forget how many marks that question was out of. Possibly only one.

That paper was relatively fiddly compared to most (not necessarily extraordinarily hard), but had lots of places where people could trip up and lose a couple of marks without noticing. But having said that, it was a reasonably hard paper too, similar to Jan '10 but probably with boundaries 2 or so raw marks higher.

ReputationRep:
    For 5d i left my y values as e^-x instead of subbing in the values i'd worked out for x. how many marks do you reckon i'd lose for this? i'm optimistically hoping 1, but as i did it for both of them is it more likely to be 2? really annoyed at that silly mistake, i really wanted 100ums to take the pressure off c4 on friday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus92)
    see question again there is 2 in front of b, I too made the same mistake.:mad:
    I MADE THE SAME MISTAKE! ARGHHHH FML

ReputationRep:
    C4 to go now :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blergh22)
    I did the same thing, well, I put 2hours 6 mins. I think It'll only be one mark.

I went through with my teacher right afterwards, and I think I got 62/75 . Just barely scraping an A if I'm lucky .
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Here are the solutions to the paper so you do not have to search the posts for it

http://www.milanmehta.net/maths/c3/
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anyway, I think that this paper was a good paper, I found it quite easy and so did my classmates, nobody found it hard. The only hard part for me was 7, and really that I think was the hardest part.

Using the answers above here is what I think of my answers:

1. Luckily, I did not fall in a trap unlike some of us here and some of my classmates on question 1b). I read the whole of the question before I started and noticed the change and I had to multiply tan [theta] by 2. I got both the questions right on number 1 also.

2. Another full marks hopefully for me, although at first I was being stupid and trying to simplify my answer (and I was struggling).
    Guys, if you going to work out an equation of tangent, work out Dy/Dx like you do, and then Sub your X [and Y if applicable] immediately afterwards. This way is much easier and faster and you have less chance of making a mistake than if you were to simplify it - my teacher said this. I think if you have to find the turning points, then you simplify. But in this question, I just worked out DY/dx and subbed my X value and got the right answer! (after crossing the part of me trying to simplify)

3. Another easy question, hopefully got full marks here.

4. Here is my first mistake - for some reason, I do NOT remember doing the last part in this question, I think I must have missed it - darn, oh never mind, its just 3 marks lost, hopefully I will still be happy with this and my other mistakes.
    As for my graphs, I think although it is not neat, I think the examiner should understand it.
    As for Part B, I think I got that wrong, maybe for Part C as well. I think this is one of these fail questions for me!

5. Better question for me than 4. - But in the end, It is ok if I wrote (1, -e^-1) as one of my answers right? It is equivalent so it should be right, but I forgot to do it in a better form, should not matter I hope. Got the rest right though for sure!

6. All right - however, I wrote down "Many-to-one" function as part D - will that score me the mark?

7. Another fail question for me and most of us, including my classmates.
    Part a) nice 3 marks in the kitty
    b) i) again 3 marks in the kitty, I hope
    ii) Hopefully I got this right, not sure though
    c) yep, 3 marks
    d) fail - not 6 marks, but I predict about 2 or 3! I completly went wrong there

8. Lovely 7 mark question, and that is a grade! Good question after that fail question 7 I think. Easy 7 mark in the kitty for me there. Luckily, I realised that after I could not cancel out the fraction, I mis-copied the question, so that gave me some more marks!

Overall, I think I should get around low-mid A hopefully on this exam!

ReputationRep:
    Right after the exam, I knew i'd messed up big time (Q7).

I was reading the formula book to find sin (x-a) and accidentally used cos(x-a). As a result, my alpha value was arctan (4/3) instead of arctan (3/4).

I had to use this answer for part bii and part d. For part bii, I got the right method but the wrong answer (because of my value for alpha), and part d, i got wrong as well, but had the right method.

I'm guessing i'd lose accuracy marks for both questions and all the marks for part a?

So that means I'd lose 5 marks on that page alone and another mark for the question 6d, as I said the inverse would need a square root and so something that's one to many cannot be an inverse function.

So, 69/75, i'm hoping that'll be around 94 UMS if i'm lucky.

What do you guys think the cap will be or if there'll be one?

ReputationRep:
    Im suprised everyones saying they thought it was easier than normal, I thought it was harder than most I'd say 61-62 is likely for an A I would have said 59-60 but seens as people are saying it was easy I think lower for an A* 68 and for 100 73-74 I reckon, I didnt get two values of t either to everyone whos worryin and transformation I just said 3 to the right and 4 down

ReputationRep:
    Judging on the difficulty (or rather the extent of easiness...?) of this paper, how much UMS would a raw mark of 67/75 account? I believe this what I have got. I'm quite worried that I might not be able to get the A (80UMS), seeing how everyone is saying how the paper was ridiculously easy.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shottysb)
    im sure i used the quotient rule correctly, how didnt i get the right answer??
    don't know "/ miss type on calculator?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moa)
    Well How did everyone find it?

I attach a paper together with full answers, It took some effort to get them all written down neatly and 100% correct, so thanks would be nice

Here are the scans, they are high quality so sorry about 20MB filesize

http://rapidshare.com/files/39939545..._2010.rar.html

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lowzo0

As for me:
    I think I lost some marks on the range question, it was supposed to be g(x)>= 3 and g(x)<=6

Also, for the question with time, I have put too many answers - completely forgot about the range limits

Same thing with the supid "why there is no inverse" question, I forgot about many-one rule

But rest was okay, I think I lost at most 4-5 marks, hope that boundaries will be low, I was repeating 88UMS from last June.
    The range question was worth 3 marks, so how many marks do you think you'll get if you only put g(x)>= 3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecityscape)
    The range question was worth 3 marks, so how many marks do you think you'll get if you only put g(x)>= 3?
    Edexcel Examiner I talked to thinks I will lose 2 marks. One for lack of method showing for the upper limit, and one for lack of upper limit in the answer

ReputationRep:
    yes....i think i got 75
    c4 = fail

ReputationRep:
    Judging on the difficulty (or rather the extent of easiness...?) of this paper, how much UMS would a raw mark of 67/75 account? I believe this what I have got. I'm quite worried that I might not be able to get the A (80UMS), seeing how everyone is saying how the paper was ridiculously easy.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Moa,

I cant open those files, it says something about the max amount of times that it an be downloaded has met its limit. Can you maybe repost it, or even pm me it so i can have a look at it?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    for the explanation of why the graph couldnt have an inverse. i worked out the inverse and stated that since the domian was x is any real number that that subbing x values more than 3 or less (i cant remember) would result in imaginary y values. is this a valid explanation? other wise full marks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 27, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.