Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just did a C3 paper after about 2 weeks or so and got 72/75, so I haven't forgotten it all yet. :grin:

I need to seriously work on C4 though... :getmecoat: - just one more chapter on integration.

Did a mock today. C3 and C4 were ok, I knew the methods. M1 was a completely different story though...

ReputationRep:
    I averaged about 93.5% overall in the C3 Solomon papers which is good! :grin: I started off with crappy scores initially but then worked my way towards 100s. Seriously though, Solomon papers are the key IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narik)
    I averaged about 93.5% overall in the C3 Solomon papers which is good! :grin: I started off with crappy scores initially but then worked my way towards 100s. Seriously though, Solomon papers are the key IMO.
    Weird. I find Soloman papers to be largely useless. The questions are either at the 'middle' paper difficulty, or outer space difficulty.

I can generally get a good score in them, but they don't really prepare you very well for the exams. At least not in my experience.

There was another 'faux' exam board that did papers like the Soloman papers, ... Wood something? They're much better from what I've seen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwilightKnight)
    Weird. I find Soloman papers to be largely useless. The questions are either at the 'middle' paper difficulty, or outer space difficulty.

I can generally get a good score in them, but they don't really prepare you very well for the exams. At least not in my experience.

There was another 'faux' exam board that did papers like the Soloman papers, ... Wood something? They're much better from what I've seen.
    Well they've helped me to improve massively and they've been working great so far! And I'll also be using the Elmwood papers you recommendfor C3 soon too.

ReputationRep:
    Struggling with trigonometry, does anyone know what should I do to improve,
    hoping to start papers before the end of this week!!!

Do as many trig questions as poss.

Also tip for indentities, see what you have to start and what you are trying to get i.e. if you start with a double angle and trying to get a single angle you know what you need to use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    Do as many trig questions as poss.

Also tip for indentities, see what you have to start and what you are trying to get i.e. if you start with a double angle and trying to get a single angle you know what you need to use.
    thanks, Ill try and do some questions and see

ReputationRep:
    This is going to sound ridiculously stupid since I've made everything from C1-C4 my ***** apart from this, but:

How the **** do you determine the range and domain of a function? I've never understood it, and I don't remember ever being taught it.

The only ones I generally get right are the the e^x ones, but that's just because they can't = 0, so you just put the range equal to whatever comes before or after.

Halp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwilightKnight)
    This is going to sound ridiculously stupid since I've made everything from C1-C4 my ***** apart from this, but:

How the **** do you determine the range and domain of a function? I've never understood it, and I don't remember ever being taught it.

The only ones I generally get right are the the e^x ones, but that's just because they can't = 0, so you just put the range equal to whatever comes before or after.

Halp
    aww, I used to be stuck on this too but then I found an easy way to do it. Basically, substitute a ridiculously large negative number into the function and see what you get and then substitute a ridiculously large positive number and see what you get. If you get something like 99.9999999999999999 then you know the range is f(x)<100. I hope that made sense, and this is what I do and it works great for me lol.

And incase you didn't know, the domain of f(x) is equal to the range of its inverse function f-1(x) and the range of f(x) is equal to the domain of f-1(x). That's ALWAYS the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narik)
    aww, I used to be stuck on this too but then I found an easy way to do it. Basically, substitute a ridiculously large negative number into the function and see what you get and then substitute a ridiculously large positive number and see what you get. If you get something like 99.9999999999999999 then you know the range is f(x)<100. I hope that made sense, and this is what I do and it works great for me lol.

And incase you didn't know, the domain of f(x) is equal to the range of its inverse function f-1(x) and the range of f(x) is equal to the domain of f-1(x). That's ALWAYS the case.
    Thanks.

I knew the second part, but I just never knew how to do the range and domain. Silly how the simple bits confuse the most sometimes/

ReputationRep:
    Have to practice trignometry more!!!

ReputationRep:
    C3 is a lot harder than I thought!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Black Knight)
    C3 is a lot harder than I thought!!!
    That's how I felt but after lots of practise, I love it! I think I'll be able to get above 90 - as long as I don't make silly mistakes!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narik)
    That's how I felt but after lots of practise, I love it! I think I'll be able to get above 90 - as long as I don't make silly mistakes!!!
    I hope I too feel like that after doing some practice papers!!

ReputationRep:
    I am doing it!!!

ReputationRep:
    C3 is going good so far...although I seem to love making silly mistakes. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    I hope to finish C3 today and start papers tommorrow! I have to!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Black Knight)
    I hope to finish C3 today and start papers tommorrow! I have to!!
    What other modules do you still have to learn for June?
    I've pretty much finished C4 but I really need to do lots of practise to get above 90 in it. And I still have M1 and D2. :cry2:

I might use this thread to make a list of gaps in my revision for me to work at. I'm not too bad with C3, much better than I was last year with it so I'm hoping with lots of practise and guidance I can get a relatively good grade

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.