Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahp12)
    Hi! I've just joined TSR and your mark scheme is really useful! I was just wondering whether you thought I'd lose marks because, on question 8, instead of factorising I did it like long division and ended up with 2 + (5x + 25)/(x^2 +2x-15) and then factorised so I ended up with 2 + 5/(x-3)...I wasn't sure if that was a wrong method or if we were allowed to use that? Thank you!

i did a different method by forming the numerator as x-1+x-4 or something like then splitting it up and cancelling to get 1 + a fraction. I then repeated this and i got your answer, i think thats the answer they will want because it said simplify fully.

ReputationRep:
    Oh good! I'm glad to hear someone else got that answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dexter4793)
    i did a different method by forming the numerator as x-1+x-4 or something like then splitting it up and cancelling to get 1 + a fraction. I then repeated this and i got your answer, i think thats the answer they will want because it said simplify fully.
    I spoke to three maths teachers at my school today and they all seemed fairly certain that this method is acceptable. In fact one said that in the answer in the unofficial markscheme, you could technically simplify it by dividing the two factors, giving you the 2 + a/x+b or whatever, which we have. So I presume we should be fine. Hopefully this means full/near full marks now for C3 DD

ReputationRep:
    Hey Arsey,

Just wanted to say thank you for all the mark schemes. You've helped guide the nerves of many students out of the summer long contemplation of results day.

I wanted your opinion on my answer for 1a on C3.

I expanded to get 2sinxcosx on the top. But rather than convert the cos2x to 2cos2x to cos^2(x) I converted into cos^2(x)+sin^2(x) and then turned into 1. Thus arriving at 2sinxcosx divided by 2. I then, for no rational reason decided an appropriate solution to deal with this term would be to then divide sinxcosx by cos^2(x) from nowhere arriving at tanx.

Would I lose both marks?

For 4c. I assume I if put (-11) I would have lost only one mark?
    For 6c. I put f(x-3)-4 would I lose any marks?
    For 7d. I misread the question and put the answer in hours. Would I lose the final one mark?

Many thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    I seem to remember in this question turning a 1 in the denominator into a sin^2(x) + cos^2(x), which is totally fine. As for dividing by tanx randomly thats called fudging a proof The examiner won't like that. I can't remember how many marks there were for this identity, but I iirc 3. You will probably lose 2 out of 3 marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deno_7951)
    I spoke to three maths teachers at my school today and they all seemed fairly certain that this method is acceptable. In fact one said that in the answer in the unofficial markscheme, you could technically simplify it by dividing the two factors, giving you the 2 + a/x+b or whatever, which we have. So I presume we should be fine. Hopefully this means full/near full marks now for C3 DD
    thank goooooddd ))))) thats exacty what i needed to hear right now

(Original post by Deno_7951)
    yes I have said this previously - it is the same answer and as the question didn't say express as a single fraction (which it normally does) your answer will be fine. However, I do think you're lucky it didn't say (single fraction).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylerTurden32)
    I dropped about 17 marks in this exam, really silly errors, soo 58/75, how many ums do you reckon this would be?
    Quoting myself here, anyone give me an idea? im really hoping it would be at least 75ums

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    yes I have said this previously - it is the same answer and as the question didn't say express as a single fraction (which it normally does) your answer will be fine. However, I do think you're lucky it didn't say (single fraction).
    It said 'simplify fully' so is the single fraction not fully simplified just the first step. It seemed to be very little work for 3 marks if you leave it as a single fraction, like the vector question in c4, working out the area, worth 5 marks with one or two lines of working.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know what 50 outta 75 would be?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by mahf92)
    does anyone know what 50 outta 75 would be?
    My guess it would be a high C/low B, certainly not an A though....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    My guess it would be a high C/low B, certainly not an A though....
    my badd

i meant 60 out of 75

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've worked out that I got about 55/75. What will the UMS be roughly? Last year I got 63 UMS and I only need to get 2 more UMS altogether to get an A overall in maths.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylerTurden32)
    Quoting myself here, anyone give me an idea? im really hoping it would be at least 75ums
    58 last year would have been one mark of a B. so that would be a UMS of about 70

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnabelPaget)
    Hi, I've worked out that I got about 55/75. What will the UMS be roughly? Last year I got 63 UMS and I only need to get 2 more UMS altogether to get an A overall in maths.

Thanks
    you'll be there abouts. good luck with life
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by mahf92)
    my badd

i meant 60 out of 75

In that case, I'll assume it could be a mid-high B or low A, seeing as how this paper was quite easy .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    In that case, I'll assume it could be a mid-high B or low A, seeing as how this paper was quite easy .
    you thought it was easy :eek:

i would have thought it was one of the harder c3 papers.

having said that, i didn't lose many marks on the "hard" questions.

more the easy ones ( made silly mistakes everywhere) LOL

im hoping its 60 for an A

(Original post by AnnabelPaget)

Thanks
    almost 70 UMS I would say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    almost 70 UMS I would say.
    how much would 71/75 get me.

ReputationRep:
    prediction for my grade in C3 and C4 = 74/75 and 58/75 respectively. satisfied with an A but A* would have been WOW!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 27, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.