Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil_D)
    I think History at Bristol is amoungst THE most competitive courses in the country... (Isn't that right Siany and Haz!! )

The 2003 stats read, 72 places..... 1844 APPLICANTS!! 422 offers...

How the hell they can end up with 72 people from 422 offers i don't know.
    Yes History must be enormously competitive!

Worship at our feet cos we got offers :adore:

ReputationRep:
    with medicine they made a mistake last year and took on too many people so they asked a load to take a gap year, so there were reduced amount of places for new bristol medics this year! so well done all of us who got an offer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    wahoo i no i was scared when i read that!

ReputationRep:
    Susie... in reply...

The tutor showed us many examples (We were suppose to be discussing Milton, but got bored and so stopped), and here are the points I remember him making.

He hated with a passion people who tried to be clever and ended up sounding stupid; for example, making jokes, telling irrelevant stories and jokey lies and boasts.

He hated the word 'passion', and liked to avoid it like the plague. You know the thing... "I have a passion for literature..." His reply was that if you're so passionate about writing, why can't you think of a better word, as opposed to using the same word as all the other 2000 people...?

He also hated peple who said things like "I first became interested in reading when I was 2 and read the hungry caterpiller...". See the point above about boasts and jokes.

He liked people who got to the point above what authors they liked, but also what they have never understood and hope to cover at Uni. Mentioning specific periods which interested you was good, but then mentioning examples of why and how you've tackled them was better.

Uni tutors have much less tolerance for pretension and fancy writing; everything in a Uni essay has to be there for a reason and make a point. So basically, he wanted clear, concise and to the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by symun)
    Susie... in reply...

The tutor showed us many examples (We were suppose to be discussing Milton, but got bored and so stopped), and here are the points I remember him making.

He hated with a passion people who tried to be clever and ended up sounding stupid; for example, making jokes, telling irrelevant stories and jokey lies and boasts.

He hated the word 'passion', and liked to avoid it like the plague. You know the thing... "I have a passion for literature..." His reply was that if you're so passionate about writing, why can't you think of a better word, as opposed to using the same word as all the other 2000 people...?

He also hated peple who said things like "I first became interested in reading when I was 2 and read the hungry caterpiller...". See the point above about boasts and jokes.

He liked people who got to the point above what authors they liked, but also what they have never understood and hope to cover at Uni. Mentioning specific periods which interested you was good, but then mentioning examples of why and how you've tackled them was better.

Uni tutors have much less tolerance for pretension and fancy writing; everything in a Uni essay has to be there for a reason and make a point. So basically, he wanted clear, concise and to the point.
    Ooooh....

Just read my personal statement through again. I used the word "passionate", but it was at the end when I was talking about extra-curricular stuff. Do you think they stop reading at that point? Hehe.

Oh well, I got an offer!

Don't think I would have got one with last year's personal statement though. Urgh. It makes me cringe. Began with one of those "when I was 2" stories!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    Ooooh....

Just read my personal statement through again. I used the word "passionate", but it was at the end when I was talking about extra-curricular stuff. Do you think they stop reading at that point? Hehe.

Oh well, I got an offer!

Don't think I would have got one with last year's personal statement though. Urgh. It makes me cringe. Began with one of those "when I was 2" stories!
    I can't even remember what I wrote in my personal statement now :confused: It feels like I wrote it years ago.. I just tried to be genuine, I guess. This included not lying about anything on there - I'm amazed I managed to get an offer for English without adding classic books that I haven't actually read (my level of wide reading is pretty bad considering I like English so much... I've been far better this year, but that's been mostly war literature due to my synoptic paper). Personally, if it is mostly based on statement rather than grades, I'll be really happy... like Bristol thought I could do the course based on the way I actually think and write, rather than how many exams I can pass.

It must be pretty hard to get an offer for English, because so many people I've spoken to have been rejected. I applied to Oxford (got rejected), and of the five people I've stayed in touch with from the interview days, only 2 got in to Bristol.. and they were all so-called "Oxford material". And, if I'm honest... they all seemed a lot brighter than me, and had better results (although none of us got into Oxford).

62 places is so so so small! It's like two classes at school. I'm going to have to work so hard there... this thought excites and terrifies me in equal measure.

ReputationRep:
    Small is one thing it is. Compared to science courses we're titchy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by symun)
    Small is one thing it is. Compared to science courses we're titchy!
    what sort of size are science courses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelbycakes)
    with medicine they made a mistake last year and took on too many people so they asked a load to take a gap year, so there were reduced amount of places for new bristol medics this year! so well done all of us who got an offer!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I feel even more lucky now

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember off hand - though my maths friend has lectures of 200+ for just one of his units. my whole year is 65.

The 2006/07 prospectus has these figures in, with acceptence rate for previous year. If any of you don't have this one (I presume you all have 05/06) then I'll type some of the stats for different courses up if you really want me to...

ReputationRep:
    go on then ...if you're offering...it might scare some new applicants though, its almost better not to know when you are applying.I worked on the principle of 2 with v high offers, 3 with gettable offers and 1 easy option....what do they say about law?

ReputationRep:
    Any clues as to what the acceptance rate is like for computer science, and similar subjects.

My understanding is that Bristol were handing out a lot of lowered offers for Computer science this year, any ideas why?

ReputationRep:
    perhaps no one wanted to do the course?

ReputationRep:
    My understanding is that CS is quite a popular course, although giving out high numbers of lowered offers could be explained by the fact that it wasnt as popular as normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sequence123)

My understanding is that Bristol were handing out a lot of lowered offers for Computer science this year, any ideas why?
    It seems that sometimes a uni will give out a lower offer to someone they like, to a. make sure they don't stress about getting grades too much, and b. convince them to accept that uni as their firm in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    It seems that sometimes a uni will give out a lower offer to someone they like, to a. make sure they don't stress about getting grades too much, and b. convince them to accept that uni as their firm in the first place.
    Yeah, this seems quite commonn now especially at Bristol. I have a mate who's definately going to get straight As yet his offer from Bristol is CCC. Even my offer is slightly reduced. Most for History have AAB or AAA offers whereas i'm lucky and "only" have to get ABB.

ReputationRep:
    I have a freind that was offered CCC for mech eng. Which neither he or me really understood. Seeing as he was expecting to be offered AAB or ABB.

He ended up decling the offer actually! Ohwell.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, you sometimes hear of ppl getting offers of 3 D's for Oxbridge.... losers lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for the Msci in Maths and Philosophy, and according to the prospectus they take 10 of us! :-s

ReputationRep:
    ouch thats nasty! my insurace is neuroscience in cardiff and there's 10 people on the course this year!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.