Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

Can someone confirm the following answers are right? As they seem wrong to me but I don't see how?

Also, can someone please explain part C.

Thanks!

My answers:
    ΔH = -822
    ΔS = -1183.5
    ΔG = 351861
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Josh-H)

Can someone confirm the following answers are right? As they seem wrong to me but I don't see how?

Also, can someone please explain part C.

Thanks!
    err, you gonna have to provide the data that you were given...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    err, you gonna have to provide the data that you were given...
    Oops sorry :|

• Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper

2Fe + 3/2O2 --> Fe2O3

you don't have to calculate ΔH as you are given the enthalpy of formation of Fe2O3 = -822 kJ

ΔS = entropy products - entropy reactants = 90 - (3/2 x 205) - (2 x 27) = -271.5 J K-1

ΔG298k = ΔH - TΔS = -822 - (298 x -0.2715)

ΔG298k = -741.1 kJ

The last part of your problem is to find the temperature change at which the reaction is just not possible i.e. when ΔG = 0

if ΔG = 0, then ΔH = TΔS

You can take it from there...

ReputationRep:
    2Fe + 3/2O2 --> Fe2O3

you don't have to calculate ΔH as you are given the enthalpy of formation of Fe2O3 = -822 kJ

ΔS = entropy products - entropy reactants = 90 - (3/2 x 205) - (2 x 27) = -271.5 J K-1

ΔG298k = ΔH - TΔS = -822 - (298 x -0.2715)

ΔG298k = -741.1 kJ

The last part of your problem is to find the temperature change at which the reaction is just not possible i.e. when ΔG = 0

if ΔG = 0, then ΔH = TΔS

You can take it from there...
    Sorry, I don't understand how to work out the temperature range from that?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I don't understand how to work out the temperature range from that?
    Reaction is spontaneous when delta G is just greater than or equal to zero, so work out T with this inequality. Hence it is a range not just one particular temperature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shengoc)
    Reaction is spontaneous when delta G is just greater than or equal to zero, so work out T with this inequality. Hence it is a range not just one particular temperature.
    So the reaction is spontaneous when T is greater than or equal to 3028K ?

*fingers crossed*

ReputationRep:
    To work out the total enthalphy change, you have to do the sum of the enthalpy change of the products, minus that of the reactants.

ReputationRep:

so for 2Fe + 3/2O2 --> Fe2O3

-822 - ((2 x 27) + (3 x 205 /2))
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    So the reaction is spontaneous when T is greater than or equal to 3028K ?

*fingers crossed*
    ΔH = TΔS

T = ΔH/ΔS = 822/0.2715 = 3028 K

So when the temperature reaches above 3028 K it becomes unfeasible ( i.e. not spontaneous)

ReputationRep:
    ΔH = TΔS

So when the temperature reaches above 3028 K it becomes unfeasible ( i.e. not spontaneous)
    Ah yeh, silly mistake from me! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    ΔH = TΔS

\
    Would you mind helping me with question 7 please?

I've got an answer of -726 kj mol^-1 for ΔH but that doesn't seem correct as in part ii that means its spontaneous for both, and that's rare in this sort of question.

a) Calculate ΔH, ΔS and ΔG for the following reaction at 298K:

Fe2O3(s) + 3H2(g) -> 2Fe(s) + 3 H2O(g)

b) will this reaction be spontaneous at i) 20C ii) 500C
    c) Calculate the temperature range at which it's spontaneous.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    \
    Would you mind helping me with question 7 please?

a) Calculate ΔH, ΔS and ΔG for the following reaction at 298K:

b) will this reaction be spontaneous at i) 20C ii) 500C
    c) Calculate the temperature range at which it's spontaneous.

I've got an answer of -726 kj mol^-1 for ΔH but that doesn't seem correct as in part ii that means its spontaneous for both, and that's rare in this sort of question.

ΔH(rxn) = ΔH(products) - ΔH(reactants) = (3 x ΔHf(H2O)) - ΔHf(Fe2O3) = 3 x (-242) -(-822) = -726 + 822 = +96 kJ

ReputationRep:
    ΔH(rxn) = ΔH(products) - ΔH(reactants) = (3 x ΔHf(H2O)) - ΔHf(Fe2O3) = 3 x (-242) -(-822) = -726 + 822 = +96 kJ
    Right ok, I'll give that a try now. Thanks for the help.

ReputationRep:
    ΔG at 20C = 55.6 kjmol-1
    ΔG at 500C = -10.7 kjmol-1

Correct?

Spontaneous when T < 695.7K

Just one confusion, I would have thought that a higher temperature would have meant it would have happened spontaneously, not the other way around Can someone explain why its T < 695.7k?

ReputationRep:
    ΔG at 20C = 55.6 kjmol-1

Correct?

Just one confusion, I would have thought that a higher temperature would have meant it would have happened spontaneously, not the other way around Can someone explain why its T < 695.7k?
    You are thinking of two different situations here, one is thermodynamic and the other one is kinetic. It is true that reactions can and will in most cases occur faster at higher temperature as activation energy is achieved faster. this is kinetic effect!

thermodynamic effect however depends on whether the reaction has positive or negative gibbs energy(ie spontaneous or not). as entropy is small relative to enthalpy in most cases,
    negative enthalpy => negative gibbs => spontaneous, but doesn't necessarily means it will be fast, could be seconds, minutes, hours, months, years.

ie change from diamond to graphite at room temperature, the gibbs energy for this reaction is negative, suggesting it is is spontaneous, but actually takes a very long time to happen(thank god! those girls would be very upset if this isn't true).
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper

ΔG at 20C = 55.6 kjmol-1

Correct?

ΔH = +96 kJ
    ΔS = S(products) - S(reactants) = 621 - 483 = 138 JK<sup>-1</sup> = 0.138 kJ K<sup>-1</sup>

@20&#186;C: ΔG = ΔH -TΔS = 96 - 293 x (0.138) = 55.6 kJ

@500&#186;C: ΔG = ΔH -TΔS = 96 - 773 x (0.138) = -10.7 kJ

(Note that the units are not per mole as it refers to the stoichiometric quantities as expressed by the coefficients of the balanced equation)

The fact that it is an endothermic reaction means that it is LESS likely to occur as the temperature increases.

This is shown by Gibbs equation.

In terms of the entropy of the universe, this reaction (being endothermic) 'steals' entropy from the surroundings by absorbing energy. This is only compensated for by the increased entropy due to a greater number of particles being formed.

BUT as the temperature increases, the entropy 'stolen' from the surroundings is no longer compensated enough by the increased number of particles. The reaction becomes non-spontaneous.

As Shengoc says, increased heat increases RATE of reaction, but not necessarily the thermodynamic easibility. That depends on the overall (universal) entropy change, factored by the negative of Gibbs free energy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 15, 2010

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.