Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay I got a 2.2 in Philosophy from Leeds Uni and I'm thinking about maybe doing a masters. My first question is...is this even possible with a 2.2?
    My second question is how easy is it to apply to do your MA in a different country like the US?
    And my third question is do I have to do my MA in philosophy? Or can I choose another subject that is within the humanities section...(within my abilities of course)
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Generally from what i have seen any course worth taking will require a 2.1, although i appreciate the problems of me saying 'worth taking.'

From what i understand its relatively easy to apply abroad specifically in Europe, outside of that you will have to review the specifics of each university and country in respect to Visas. Funding of studying abroad is most peoples hurdle, specifically in the US where they tend to charge a fair whack to my understanding.

I'm fairly sure your not restricted to doing just philosophy - closely related disciplines and those that use the same kind of skills, such as theology or history etc will not tend to restrict their requirments.

In summary your biggest hurdles will be the 2.2 and the funding. My best advice would be to think of the kinds of unis you would like to apply for and look on their sites they will have all the information you require....I'm sure there is a course out there that will consider 2.2 students providing they show enough enthusiasm for the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melissamel)
    Okay I got a 2.2 in Philosophy from Leeds Uni and I'm thinking about maybe doing a masters. My first question is...is this even possible with a 2.2?
    My second question is how easy is it to apply to do your MA in a different country like the US?
    And my third question is do I have to do my MA in philosophy? Or can I choose another subject that is within the humanities section...(within my abilities of course)
    Thanks!
    ohh and quote...just cus people like people doing that on this site and i didnt in my original post!

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.