Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by definite_maybe)
    Woah, :eek: no way I'm gonna be able to get through them in a week, as well as doing my Chem 5.
    You dont have to do all of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OL1V3R)
    Yep, sure. The mass of one proton is 1.66 x 10^-27 kg, so to find the number of protons in the Sun, simply divide the mass of the Sun by the mass of a single proton.

Then for the next question, just convert years into seconds first.

Then, multiply this number by 9 billion, and this will give 2.83824 x 10^17 seconds.

So just divide the number of protons the Sun has by this time.

Hope that helps, although to be honest that is a quite basic calculation, just converting from years to seconds, etc.
    Ohhh yes it is!! But i thought there was a specific formula for nuclear fusion i got confused for the second part

Thank youuuu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joann79)
    Ohhh yes it is!! But i thought there was a specific formula for nuclear fusion i got confused for the second part

Thank youuuu
    No problem!

If anyone's interested, I'm going to be doing an online revision session on Elluminate today or tomorrow, and maybe another later in the week. Any specific topics we could cover or could we just go through all of them?

ReputationRep:
    No problem!

If anyone's interested, I'm going to be doing an online revision session on Elluminate today or tomorrow, and maybe another later in the week. Any specific topics we could cover or could we just go through all of them?
    Count me in
    At about what time are you hoping to it.I find Astro physics difficult what about you guyz.
    May be we should start off with an easy one like nuclear physics or Thermal.

How does it really work?? I have no idea about Elluminate
    Can you post the time and a link once you set it up.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if there area any experiments to that specific equation but I think I remember the experiments for the different ideal gas laws.

Boyle's law - for a gas of constant mass and constant temperature, the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume.

To illustrate this, just set up a gas supply to a barometer and a measuring tube full of a liquid. If you add small amounts of the gas to the measuring tube, and plot a graph of pressure (read from the barometer) against volume (read from the tube), then it should be a reciprocal graph (i.e. like that of y = 1/x).

Charles' law - for a gas of constant mass and constant pressure, the volume it occupies is directly proportional to its absolute temperature.

To illustrate this, just connect a gas supply to an upturned measuring cylinder which is suspended in a beaker of water, on top of a gauze and just above a Bunsen burner. Add a barometer as well and a thermometer inside the beaker. If you change the flame on the Bunsen burner, and plot a graph of absolute temperature (read off the thermometer, and then added 273 to it to make it in Kelvins) against the volume occupied (read from the amount of gas in the cylinder) and it should be a straight line passing through the origin (with a positive gradient).

Guy-Lussac law - for a gas of constant mass and constant volume, the pressure of the gas is directly proportional to its absolute temperature.

To illustrate this, just use the same apparatus as in demonstrating Charles' law, but replace the upturned measuring cylinder with a spherical flask directly connected to a barometer, and plot a graph of pressure against absolute temperature, it will be a straight line passing through the origin (with a positive gradient).
    Not sure if someone's already said this but we don't need to know Charles' Law - the syllabus just says "use temperature and pressure sensors to investigate relationship between p and T" and "experimental investigation of relationship between p and V". It's worth just knowing that volume is proportional to absolute temperature but no experiment needed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishta)
    Count me in
    At about what time are you hoping to it.I find Astro physics difficult what about you guyz.
    May be we should start off with an easy one like nuclear physics or Thermal.

How does it really work?? I have no idea about Elluminate
    Can you post the time and a link once you set it up.
    I'll put the link up once I have the session ready, all you need to do is click on it and download the Java app, and you're in! It's very simple

I remember doing the Oxford Maths Admissions Test preparation sessions over Elluminate (I didn't host them, but went on a course of 5/6 sessions).

I will cover Nuclear Decay this session, and I could explain an extra little bit of maths that might be useful. Maybe if you want we can go through some astrophysics as well.

So this evening, I'm going to have a go at hosting one of these sessions and going through the Oscillations topic, not sure yet about going through any exam questions. If you have any questions though, feel free to let me know and maybe we can discuss them

The revision session will start at 5:00pm and here is the link. I'm not sure how long the session is going to last, since I've never hosted one before. Also bear in mind that content-wise my knowledge won't be perfect, so I'm in an equally modest position as you lot! I'll have a good stab at it though.

I'll do another one each evening. I'm also considering doing a few revision sessions for OCR Salters Chemistry (Unit F334).

Spread the word!

ReputationRep:
    I'll put the link up once I have the session ready, all you need to do is click on it and download the Java app, and you're in! It's very simple

I remember doing the Oxford Maths Admissions Test preparation sessions over Elluminate (I didn't host them, but went on a course of 5/6 sessions).

I will cover Nuclear Decay this session, and I could explain an extra little bit of maths that might be useful. Maybe if you want we can go through some astrophysics as well.

So this evening, I'm going to have a go at hosting one of these sessions and going through the Oscillations topic, not sure yet about going through any exam questions. If you have any questions though, feel free to let me know and maybe we can discuss them

The revision session will start at 5:00pm and here is the link. I'm not sure how long the session is going to last, since I've never hosted one before. Also bear in mind that content-wise my knowledge won't be perfect, so I'm in an equally modest position as you lot! I'll have a good stab at it though.

I'll do another one each evening. I'm also considering doing a few revision sessions for OCR Salters Chemistry (Unit F334).

Spread the word!
    Thanks man thats a great time where most people are online.I did send PMs to almost everyone who had replies to this thread.Hope all of you GUyz turn up.Unfortunately I didnt post the link saw it only now.

And is there a way to type in because my mike is not working properly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sasukekun)
    Someone linked on the Unit 4 thread a collection of 190 past paper questions, is there one of one those for Unit 5?

Also I'm a little confused when it mentioned the potential energy as being part of the internal energy. What does it mean by the potential?
    Potential energy is the energy stored in the bonds between atoms in molecules (eg. an O-O bond in an oxygen molecule). These are continuously stretched and compressed like springs - I believe it's specifically elastic potential energy.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I don't have a mike either Oliver. We can type though right?

Thanks for doing this though, much appreciated. Good luck hosting it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Magnificent KoloToure)
    Yeah, I don't have a mike either Oliver. We can type though right?

Thanks for doing this though, much appreciated. Good luck hosting it!
    You don't need a microphone, you can just type any messages into the chat box if you need to. You just need some speakers so you can hear me okay.

ReputationRep:
    I heard that there''s a unit 5 revision thing :sexface:

Too bad I can't make it. Eco revision

ReputationRep:
    Guyz will see you all over there at 5.00 PM

ReputationRep:
    Isn't that in 6 minutes?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it'll be about to start now.

ReputationRep:
    Started now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughboy)
    Unit 5 is N.O.T. synoptic.
    EXACTLY..PEOPLE ON HERE AR GETTING IT TWISTED
    ITS NOT!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishta)
    Started now
    what has started?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nnamdi)
    what has started?
    The revision session by oliver check the post above for the link

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know which book is the best to do for this unit?? Im studying from the Miles Hudson red one but apparently it has soo much stuff and some of it is completely useless =S :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    I am using the hodder book

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 27, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.