Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel A2 Physics Unit 5 'Physics from Creation to Collapse' watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ziarkaen)
    Can someone confirm what the hubbles constant one was? I did 1/([Age of Universe in years] * [seconds per year]) to get answer with units s^-1.

Also, what did everyone put for the last one (about tuned mass dampers)? I couldn't seem to see exactly what they wanted me to write. I said that the mass would change resonant frequency and the spring would damper oscillations.

Lastly, what did people do for the parallax one? The first part [3 marks] and the diagram bit. Didn't know whether a diagram was enough or I needed annotation.
    and you have to divide by 12 since 12 billion years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus92)
    Why is it critical?
    it's not, it's closed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus92)
    somewhere around 2.32 x 10power 18 per s
    I put the exponent as -18.

This http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=hubbles%20constant agrees.

ReputationRep:
    It's not. I think he was saying 'nice one' sarcastically.
    thank god, my heart stopped beating for a secound.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrcarrot)
    it's not, it's closed
    yeah, its closed:yep:

ReputationRep:

I agree :yep:

ReputationRep:

sorry forgot to put the minus sign on that post

ReputationRep:
    Can someone confirm what the hubbles constant one was? I did 1/([Age of Universe in years] * [seconds per year]) to get answer with units s^-1.

Also, what did everyone put for the last one (about tuned mass dampers)? I couldn't seem to see exactly what they wanted me to write. I said that the mass would change resonant frequency and the spring would damper oscillations.

Lastly, what did people do for the parallax one? The first part [3 marks] and the diagram bit. Didn't know whether a diagram was enough or I needed annotation.
    for the last, i put that mass dampers work by oscillating in antiphase to the resonant oscillation of the bridge, so they work as damping, and that is the reason they have to be tuned. they themselves need to be damped to prevent their own oscillation damaging the bridge, and they therefore function as heavy damping overall.

you got the right working for the hubble's constant, assuming you used the UK billion as the paper stated when it quoted the length of 1 billion light years in seconds.

the parallax one did say 'a labelled diagram', so that's maybe 1 or 2 marks down there, but otherwise it's just the standard earth orbiting sun/2AU/trig diagram. the first bit was a little weird, but it's just due to our parallax and potentially viewing faraway objects through the distorting gravitational field of our sun, i believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredbraty)
    I agree!
    Where are you going for university havinghoops?
    Bath hopefully. I need an A in both Maths and Physics though, and I go to a school where hardly anyone passes maths/physics, nevermind gets an A in them. So I am very nervous :P!

If not, Surrey.

What about you fredbraty?

ReputationRep:
    surely someone must have the paper and answers by now............................. ????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zak979)
    surely someone must have the paper and answers by now............................. ????
    No one ever has the answers or papers for Physics.. really it's only maths people have the paper and unofficial answers for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkGothicLady)
    No one ever has the answers or papers for Physics.. really it's only maths people have the paper and unofficial answers for.
    Why is it that only maths people can get the papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CptManilow)
    Why is it that only maths people can get the papers?
    I don't really know but I think people just memorise the questions... and it's easier to give answers as it's less variable than Physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yadas)
    Did everybody get an extra formulae list, as there was a mistake in the paper?
    I guess yes, as the papers are supposed to be the same around the globe..
    Did you spot the mistake in the formuale? :p:
    it was the stupidest mistake in the world. When I finished, I looked for it, cursed edexcel and then checked my work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unamed)
    it was the stupidest mistake in the world. When I finished, I looked for it, cursed edexcel and then checked my work.
    Good priorities right there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unamed)
    Interestingly my Physics teacher pointed out this mistake to us a couple weeks ago.. and sent an e-mail to Edexcel pointing it out. He never got a reply but perhaps they did read his e-mail after all and that's why they changed it. It would have panicked me a bit if it wasn't for the fact I recognised what they'd changed as our teacher had had us all check it a couple weeks back..
    It really wasn't necessary for them to change that for this exam as I imagine it only panicked people. It always makes me uneasy when you get an exam paper with amendments in it. It puts my guard up as to what else might be wrong in it.

ReputationRep:
    If you want, I could maybe convince my physics teacher to go over the paper with me, and I could upload you what he comes up with?

He loves test papers, lol.

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping I get high 50's or low 60's in this paper so that I can get a B. Ugh

I'm the only one on here who found this hard? It's cause I didn't revise properly...

I'm on the edge now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by havinghoops)
    If you want, I could maybe convince my physics teacher to go over the paper with me, and I could upload you what he comes up with?

He loves test papers, lol.
    That would be awesome if you could!!

ReputationRep:
    what did people get for the energy of the alpha particles.....5.26Mev?
    i got that

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 27, 2015

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.