(Original post by LetoKynes)
    Uhh.. you forgot to mention what subject you're talking about :confused:
    Are you doing phy6?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LetoKynes)
    Uhh.. you forgot to mention what subject you're talking about :confused:
    Oops! Sorry! It's Physics 6!!

ReputationRep:
    @zillyitem90 - so true...we international students have a HUGE disadvantage....n above all our teacher r infact realli confused..... n in my case d physics n chem teacher of my school (who were teaching us) left d school in arpril n we started unit 5 of phy n chem on 1st FEB....so basically i m doomed!!

ReputationRep:
    the specs pretty vague about what exactly is going to come in the examination... chem and bio are more to the point though if you ask me. And yeah being an international student does muck it all up a little bit... i mean the coursework probably woulda been easier i guess neway i used this A2 practical guidance TSM for my AS unit 3 written alt exam and will do the same for the A2 exam on 19. Its like an implementation guide really unfortunately i dont have the actual imp guide

ReputationRep:
    These are some of the resources that I have been able to find. I will add more if I find
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Unit 6 Exemplar.pdf (549.1 KB, 658 views)

ReputationRep:
    well i got this somewhere... dont remember where. the links mine though:yep:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zuontm...assesm-TSM.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Hei. In our school we have been practicing with these papers. Its the edexcel physics practical papers. The last question, you can do it. Well, from the others you will get an idea how the paper is. I have attached the 2009 and 2008 June paper. You can get the others from http://www.freeexampapers.com/Dndex....NzL0VkZXhjZWw=
    The syllabus code is 6735

6735%202A%20June%202009.pdf

6735%202B%20June%202009.pdf

6735-2A%20Physics.pdf

6735-2B%20Physics.pdf

ReputationRep:
    I m dreading it!!

Lets be friends!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelikgrrl)
    Hei. In our school we have been practicing with these papers. Its the edexcel physics practical papers. The last question, you can do it. Well, from the others you will get an idea how the paper is. I have attached the 2009 and 2008 June paper. You can get the others from http://www.freeexampapers.com/Dndex....NzL0VkZXhjZWw=

6735-2A%20Physics.pdf

6735-2B%20Physics.pdf
    do you have more of these papers!!
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsbefriends92)
    do you have more of these papers!!
    thanks
    The link is right there, from there you can get them Sorry!!! I don't have time to upload one by one. Our school gave the hard copy.

ReputationRep:
    Are any formulas given to us?
    Cause, I was told things like Young Modulus could come up, and others, and some formulas I don't remember from last year.

ReputationRep:

6735-2A%20Physics.pdf

6735-2B%20Physics.pdf
    heyyy thesee are real good, but any chance you can post the answers to go with them please??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrDé)
    Are any formulas given to us?
    Cause, I was told things like Young Modulus could come up, and others, and some formulas I don't remember from last year.
    The formula sheet is their in the back of 3B so I am assuming it will be there in 6B too :/ I am hoping it is there..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unamed)
    Notes: [they're not super-useful]

random errors:
    • Unpredictable changes in measurements
    • can be effected by the environment
    • nearly always human [parallax] error
    • can be reduced by repetition and averages
    • correct readings will always be between the limits after repeated experiments
    • use better instruments
    • scatter results about value.

Systematic errors:

• same change between measurements (+/-2)
    • Affected by flaws in instruments
    • human error only when instruments wrongly used.
    • cannot be reduced without changes in instruments (recalibration etc)
    • accuracy reduced
    • results in all readings being too large or too small

Uncertainties in some instruments:

• Stopwatch: 0.2 secs
    • Metre rule: 1mm
    • Vernier caliper: 0.1mm
    • Micrometer: 0.01mm

You want to measure the length of a wire. The reading is between 374mm and 375mm. You judge it is closer to 374mm. Since you can only judge it to the nearest mm (the smallest on the ruler). You write: l

length of wire: 375mm +/- 1mm
    To reduce the error, use a different instrument.

Error is shown by number of sig figs and the +/- signs.

eg. A voltmeter might read: 1.25v +/-0.01v. This implies voltage between 1.24 and 1.26

Actual uncertainty therefore would be:
    1mm for the rule
    0.1 for the voltmeter
    0.01mm for the micrometer
    This can also be written as % uncertainty using the following formula:

uncertainty in the instrument/reading *100

1/375*100= +/-0.26%

Combining uncertainty:

In some cases we have to combine the uncertainties:

1. Adding or subtracting uncertainty: add together their absolute uncertainty to obtain the absolute uncertainty.
    2. Multiply or dividing uncertainty: add together their % uncertainty to obtain % uncertainty
    3. Raised to the power n: Multiply % uncertainty by n to obtain the % uncertainty.

Examples:
    1. Finding R using a voltmeter and an ammeter if the reading on the voltmeter is 2.45v and the ammeter is 0.96A:

V=2.54 +/-0.01v
    % error = 0.01/2.54*100 = 4%

I= 0.96A +/-A
    0.01/0.96*100= 1%

combined error: 4%+1%= 5%

r=v/i

2.54/0.96 =2.56 +/- 5% ohms

2.% uncertainty in multiple readings: range/2*100

eg. 1.96mm, 1.94mm, 1.98mm, 1.95mm, 1.97mm

(1.98-1.94)/2*100 = 2%

3. % difference:
    difference/average*100

Used to compare your answer to examiner's or manufacturer's.

You find the density of plasticine to be 1.8g/cm3
    The manufacturer gives the density as 1.6g/cm3

The % difference: 1.8-1.6/[(1.8+1.6)/2] * 100= 11.8%

If you found the % uncertainty= 5%
    5% of 1.8= 0.1
    your density= 1.8+/- 0.1

your density is between 1.7 and 1.9 g/cm3
    The manufacturer's density is 1.6g/cm3 which is outside your range.
    Therefore, it is a different plasticine.

And that's about it. I hope that made sense!
    wow this helps.
    thanks a bunch!

ReputationRep:

6735-2A%20Physics.pdf

6735-2B%20Physics.pdf
    Do you know where to get the marking scheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AyonFazal)
    wow this helps.
    thanks a bunch!
    your welcome! If you happen to have the Salters-Horners book, look at the back, there's some pretty useful stuff there too! [although it's a slightly better version of what I wrote]

I think this paper should be all right, it's less physics and more measurements..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unamed)
    your welcome! If you happen to have the Salters-Horners book, look at the back, there's some pretty useful stuff there too! [although it's a slightly better version of what I wrote]

I think this paper should be all right, it's less physics and more measurements..
    I'm worried!!! :o:

Do you have any more tips/hints/resources?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughboy)
    I'm worried!!! :o:

Do you have any more tips/hints/resources?
    You shouldn't be!

Not really. You should go over the unit 5 (2A/B) papers from the old syllabus - try doing the practicals.. because, essentially, that is what our paper is! If you can't do the practicals, think of what you would do..
    If you're still in school, get your teacher to set up practicals from one of the papers (it's amazingly useful if you set them up yourself and then answer the questions). If that's not possible, do the last question in those papers!

Oh and what sarboom put up is useful!

ReputationRep:
    What experiments might be useful to study? Any ideas..i hope its not like unit 6 chem(may 2010) which was the biggest disaster after 9/11 :P

ReputationRep:
    Fab thread, thanks for the links/notes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.