Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    btw - you guys might wanna check this site out, it really really helped me.
    > http://www.practicalphysics.org/
    The new edexcel books are crap.

ReputationRep:
    D'you guys think we'll get asked on AS stuff?

ReputationRep:
    what are the relevant topics on the left-hand side of practicalphysics.org? I can't see any from our course other than electromagnetism, and even that is sort of out of the course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taimoorsohail)
    what are the relevant topics on the left-hand side of practicalphysics.org? I can't see any from our course other than electromagnetism, and even that is sort of out of the course!
    Dude, its just a guideline. Look under energy for Simple Harmonic Motion, and Forces for Centripetal force. It has all the experiments stated in the specification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by y-1234)
    heyyy thesee are real good, but any chance you can post the answers to go with them please??
    (Original post by letsbefriends92)
    do you have more of these papers!!
    thanks
    Sorry I don't have time.. I am doing Bio tomorrow so there is no time to do all. We were given the ans. I think the answers will be there Good luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    Guyz how are youll calculating uncertainty if there is more than one value

for eg 24.1,25.3,25.6 cm (+/-0.01cm)

IS it half range ?

25.6-24.1 divided by 2 ??

ReputationRep:
    According to what I was taught by my Physics teacher, that is correct.
    If you've got any specific instruments though, the uncertainty would be 1/2 the smallest scale measurement. So if a particular instrument measures lengths to a precision of 0.1mm, it's uncertainty would be +-0.05mm.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, lol.

ReputationRep:
    yeah thats the same as calculating the uncertainty of the average of the measurements.
    or is it something to do with the mean deviation from the mean ...

Tip: check and make sure you know how to estimate the uncertainty of a slope on a graph, I am sure it will pop-up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samydude)
    Tip: check and make sure you know how to estimate the uncertainty of a slope on a graph, I am sure it will pop-up.
    As in using error boxes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xtian)
    As in using error boxes?
    Oh, no :eek:
    What's that ?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, no :eek:
    What's that ?
    Basically, when you plot your points on a graph, you can draw the points as crosses (+), the horizontal line indicating the uncertainty in x and the vertical line indicating the uncertainty in y. You can then draw a line of best fit and a line of worst fit (one that just passes through all the crosses). If you calculate their gradients, the uncertainty in the value of the gradient is the difference between your two gradients.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xtian)
    Basically, when you plot your points on a graph, you can draw the points as crosses (+), the horizontal line indicating the uncertainty in x and the vertical line indicating the uncertainty in y. You can then draw a line of best fit and a line of worst fit (one that just passes through all the crosses). If you calculate their gradients, the uncertainty in the value of the gradient is the difference between your two gradients.
    I don't quite understand the line of worst fit...

what's your method for that?

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys Found this on Scribd hope is useful
    i think this should solve the doubts
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf 31414039-Physics-Guidance-notes-on-experimental-work-edexcel-new-spec-AS-A2 (1).pdf (132.6 KB, 9504 views)

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone list down all the experiments for this module? Yeah i have the specification and i did it from it but still....there are some experiments in the active book like Millikan's oil drop experiment but its not there in the specification...so are we supposed to know about it? Somebody help me out...i am so confused!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah for the people who are doing the written alternative*

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all the guys who shared those invaluable materials.

ReputationRep:
    or is it something to do with the mean deviation from the mean ...
    ok.... i'm kinda stumped here... what do you mean by the mean deviation from the mean??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xtian)
    so what you mean is that we draw two lines using the error bars( or boxes as you say) both of which intersect at some point? then the difference between their gradiesnt is the uncertainty? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    oh and btw they have a zip file with almost all the A level core practicals in freeexampapers
    heres the link

http://www.srepapmaxeeeerf.org/A%20L...Practicals.zip

hope it helps :yep:

ReputationRep:
    got this off another thread
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6#post25264525

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 23, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.