Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey can anyone explain how are we supposed to find the volume of air in the 4th question part a of the sample paper ??? The mark scheme has only 4 points, it doesn't explain anything ...

ReputationRep:
    Good luck all!!! Hope it is easier than the jan phy 4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arya123)
    hey can anyone explain how are we supposed to find the volume of air in the 4th question part a of the sample paper ??? The mark scheme has only 4 points, it doesn't explain anything ...

Measure water in measuring cylinder, put that into the conical flask - you now know the volume of the conical flask. Then, add water - subtract the volume of water from the volume of the conical flask...you have the volume of air. As for the frequency, adjust it until you hear the highest amplitude.

I hope that made sense.

ReputationRep:
    In the sample paper, where you have to comment critically on the measurements (first question), what do they mean in the markscheme by "no zero error"? How are you supposed to know if the student checked for zero errors?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xtian)
    In the sample paper, where you have to comment critically on the measurements (first question), what do they mean in the markscheme by "no zero error"? How are you supposed to know if the student checked for zero errors?
    hahaha
    btw I have a feeling that this question is coming tmrw
    just memo it :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unamed)
    Measure water in measuring cylinder, put that into the conical flask - you now know the volume of the conical flask. Then, add water - subtract the volume of water from the volume of the conical flask...you have the volume of air. As for the frequency, adjust it until you hear the highest amplitude.

I hope that made sense.
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xtian)
    the 'no zero error' bit is a very unconventional answer, according to my teacher.
    Anyway, in order to say 'no zero error' Edexcel wants us to assume that the instrument had a number value before the experiment started (rather than 0) ; which is stupid...

I think, if it did come up, just stay stuff like no repeats, not to the precision (for the length), different units...
    i.e the conventional stuff. The markscheme they will use will change in order to benefit us: they're not going to mark you down if you say something right that's not on the mark scheme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unamed)

I hope that made sense.
    btw - a syringe tells you the volume of air if you compress the air, and block the opening

ReputationRep:
    Damn u ppl realize the exam is 2m!! =O
    i feel like everyone just gave up on the exam =P
    my advice..memorize the sample paper =P =P
    GD LUCK TO ALL =D

ReputationRep:
    Here's the drill -
    Total questions - 4
    Total marks - 40 might be 50.
    Q1 always tests on AS knowledge and might bring in some core practicals.
    Q2 always diagrams and statistical.
    Q3 always graphs and testing.
    Q4 the big one. At this point you piss your pants.

Cheers and good luck.

ReputationRep:
    btw - Oscillations is a MUST MUST, it's Edexcel's favorite topic for practicals.
    What I expect is the first question will be on electricity (resistivity) and then a bit on oscillations (Guitar strings quite possibly), maybe a few capacitance graphs or analysis and specific heat capacity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samydude)
    btw - a syringe tells you the volume of air if you compress the air, and block the opening
    Yes, but that's slightly impractical for the practical (hah!) that was being discussed - you can't measure air and then put it back into the conical flask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samydude)
    Here's the drill -
    Total questions - 4
    Total marks - 40 might be 50.
    Q1 always tests on AS knowledge and might bring in some core practicals.
    Q2 always diagrams and statistical.
    Q3 always graphs and testing.
    Q4 the big one. At this point you piss your pants.

Cheers and good luck.

btw - Oscillations is a MUST MUST, it's Edexcel's favorite topic for practicals.
    What I expect is the first question will be on electricity (resistivity) and then a bit on oscillations (Guitar strings quite possibly), maybe a few capacitance graphs or analysis and specific heat capacity.
    I guess we'll have to wait till tomorrow to see if you were right with the 1st part!

As for oscillations - what do you think will come, pendulum or resonance-type? [when they have a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field which creates a standing wave]
    And if the last question is on specific heat capacity, I will be the happiest person in the world [I mean, SHC is IGCSE stuff]

ReputationRep:
    so q4 is kinda like create an experiment blah blah blah sort of thing...im just gonna memorize the sample assessment..wth, its only 10% =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dimi3)
    so q4 is kinda like create an experiment blah blah blah sort of thing...im just gonna memorize the sample assessment..wth, its only 10% =P
    Yep. It's the only question that exists in the old syllabus. - in all the practical papers, it was always the last question.

It's only 10%? Wow, I learn something new everyday!

ReputationRep:
    Guysss how did you doo today!!!???????????/

ReputationRep:
    I messed up on the kinetic energy question.. Pissed off. :mad:
    Other than that it was a nice paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancing.barefoot)
    I messed up on the kinetic energy question.. Pissed off. :mad:
    Other than that it was a nice paper
    Your gonna just be penalised once! Don't worry you will do awesome!

ReputationRep:
    Got messy with the first question..
    First did averaging including 0.77.. but then decided to assume it's an outlier.
    Got Nichrome and 32swg.

Didnt expect any question on Particle Physics and Astronomy, so didnt study anything on it (as there were no Suggested Experiments on this topics in syllabus).
    Though the questions about Hubble's Law didnt ask much about the topic itself, as about the slope and unertainty.
    I've lost one mark there for the first 'Red Shift' question.
    The rest was just fine. Didnt get any difficulties with Nuclear Decay nor Kinetic Energy.

ReputationRep:
    what did you say on the "how do you think the astronomer will find the speed? "
    Also how much did you find the percentage uncertainty of the kinetic energy?I found about 4-5%
    At the astrophysics question the percentage difference i got was about 10%,large.
    The gradient i got was 63-67 i cant remember...

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 23, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.