Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredbraty)
    yess they wanted maximum,but the formula they gave us was for the maximum speed.also, the points were few so it shouldnt require any other work.
    How did you find the K.E that high?
    yess you should divide by 71.dont worry though you wont lose a lot.
    Really? but why did they want the uncertainties in the previous parts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joann79)
    Really? but why did they want the uncertainties in the previous parts?
    for the very last question where you should find the percentage uncertainty for the kinetic energy.

ReputationRep:
    for the very last question where you should find the percentage uncertainty for the kinetic energy.
    I guess i really messed that question up

How much do you think id lose marks?

ReputationRep:
    Can you state what you answered in that whole question please?

ReputationRep:
    Got v =0.58ms^-1, E=0.16J.

Didnt have any problems with the scale.. Used scales of 2 and 5.

ReputationRep:
    Can you state what you answered in that whole question please?
    dont worry.There's always upgrade in physics exams.Also unit 6 doesnt affect the overall grade much.

Sure i will write what i remember.
    well i think at first i asked the uncertainty of height which is the uncertainty of the ruler,i.e the smallest division,1mm.
    Then it asked for the uncertainty of the time.I did the half range value.i.e (max-min)/2 and it was >0.5 so i accepted it.
    Then it asked for the max mean square speed.I used the formula and on the denominator i used the mean value for time which was 3.03 as i can remember.The speed i got was 0.58 but i didnt add any uncertainties.I sont think we should but i might be wrong.
    Then for the kinetic energy,it said the total kinetic energy,so i added the kinetic energy of mass1 + K.E of mass 2.I did not do 0.5x(m+M)xu^2 since the two bodies are not attached to each other.
    For the last part,the percentage uncertainty of K.E=4x %unertainty of u.And percentage uncertainty of u=%uncertainty of h + % uncertainty of t.I got something like 4%?But i am not sure,it might be from another question.
    Oh!And the kinetic energy i found it to be 0.16J.

Hope it helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yadas)
    Got v =0.58ms^-1, E=0.16J.

Didnt have any problems with the scale.. Used scales of 2 and 5.
    same here yadas.but i used a scale of 2.5 so that the graph would be bigger.

ReputationRep:
    dont worry.There's always upgrade in physics exams.Also unit 6 doesnt affect the overall grade much.

Sure i will write what i remember.
    well i think at first i asked the uncertainty of height which is the uncertainty of the ruler,i.e the smallest division,1mm.
    Then it asked for the uncertainty of the time.I did the half range value.i.e (max-min)/2 and it was >0.5 so i accepted it.
    Then it asked for the max mean square speed.I used the formula and on the denominator i used the mean value for time which was 3.03 as i can remember.The speed i got was 0.58 but i didnt add any uncertainties.I sont think we should but i might be wrong.
    Then for the kinetic energy,it said the total kinetic energy,so i added the kinetic energy of mass1 + K.E of mass 2.I did not do 0.5x(m+M)xu^2 since the two bodies are not attached to each other.
    For the last part,the percentage uncertainty of K.E=4x %unertainty of u.And percentage uncertainty of u=%uncertainty of h + % uncertainty of t.I got something like 4%?But i am not sure,it might be from another question.
    Oh!And the kinetic energy i found it to be 0.16J.

Hope it helped.
    Thank youuu so much it really helpedd!! i really hope is an eco or somthing for the speed if i got it wrongg

Oh well as you said it doesnt affect. Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone get for the percentage error in KE?

To find the error in velocity, I did percentage error in time plus percentage error in height. Then I multiplied that by two to find percentage error in KE. Would that be right? Gave me around 17%, which doesnt seem to be what other people got..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancing.barefoot)

To find the error in velocity, I did percentage error in time plus percentage error in height. Then I multiplied that by two to find percentage error in KE. Would that be right? Gave me around 17%, which doesnt seem to be what other people got..
    K.E=0.5*m1*v^2+0.5*m2*v^2
    so the %uncertainty of K.E=4*%uncertainty of u.
    yess for %uncertainty of u=%uncertainty of h + %uncertainty of t
    how did you find the K.E?Did you do 0.5*(m+M)*v^2?or 0.5*m1*v^2+0.5*m2*v^2 ?
    maybe that's why you found it differently.

ReputationRep:
    Thank youuu so much it really helpedd!! i really hope is an eco or somthing for the speed if i got it wrongg

Oh well as you said it doesnt affect. Thanks again
    sure

ReputationRep:
    how do you use the two columns in the radioactivity question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wooper)
    If velocity is less than 1 m/s, then kinetic energy should be less than 1J (mass was about 1 kg?). But using GPE and conservation of energy, we get mgh = 1 kg*10 m/s^2*1 m approximately, which is 10 J. What is going wrong here? Maybe we used the wrong units somewhere, e.g. mm instead of m? :confused:
    the masses were in grams..the height was in mm,so reasonable:yep:
    Can you remember what the masses were? Were they 0.930 kg and 0.030 kg? The height was 885 mm. I can't remember which mass was dropping. If it was the lighter one, using mgh gives energy = 0.03 * 9.81 * 0.885 = 0.26 J. If it was the heavier one, mgh = 0.93 * 9.81 * 0.885 = 8.07 J.

I got 0.584 m/s for the velocity, giving energy = 0.5 *(0.93+0.03)* (0.584)^2 = 0.16 J.

Where is the energy going?

There cannot be friction or air resistance, because using s=0.5(u+v)t where u = 0, gives v = 2s/t , i.e. 2h/t, which is the formula given.

ReputationRep:

I did that too, but got 20%, probably because I took the uncertainty in the time to be 0.3 and you did 0.26?

In the percentage uncertainty of the diameter, I used half the range (0.02mm) rather than the precision of the micrometer (0.01mm) and got 7%. Anyone else?

And in the last questions I got around 0.05mm^-1 for mu, but were we not supposed to include units, since it asked for the value?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wooper)
    Can you remember what the masses were? Were they 0.930 kg and 0.030 kg?
    exactly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AyonFazal)
    you subtract the background radiation to calculate A
    and the other column you do ln(A/minute^-1)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AyonFazal)
    One would be the corrected Activity, A (i.e. Recorded Count - Background count), and the other would be ln A.

Silly me only realised the background count value when I had a minute left :facepalm: didn't have time to correct my graph

(Original post by Xtian)
    And in the last questions I got around 0.05mm^-1 for mu, but were we not supposed to include units, since it asked for the value?
    I doubt they are fussy about that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xtian)
    I did that too, but got 20%, probably because I took the uncertainty in the time to be 0.3 and you did 0.26?

In the percentage uncertainty of the diameter, I used half the range (0.02mm) rather than the precision of the micrometer (0.01mm) and got 7%. Anyone else?

the unertainty in time is the half range value wich comes out to be >0.5 s,i think.
    yess i got about 7% i think.
    yess it was 0.0506666

ReputationRep:
    the unertainty in time is the half range value wich comes out to be >0.5 s,i think.
    yess i got about 7% i think.
    yess it was 0.0506666
    Hmmm are you sure it was >0.5? I think the range was 0.52, and half of that is 0.26.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

i got about 17% too

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.