Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariame)
    the order was i belive now...(for the flow chart)b cells,

b cells,antibodies,antigens,comple metary receptor.then phagosome/or phagocte or macrophage... i think
    also for the question on the next page i was slightly confused as it was a non-specific response in which no specific antigens are 'looked for' so to speak...
    and the macrophages just engulf anthin' foreign...
    any thoughts.......
    I don't think that's right.

I can't remember what I put but I was pretty confident about it and I don't remember putting all those things.

The last one I'm pretty sure was Lysosome because it says what kills the foreign bacteria after it was engulfed by the phagocyte's cytoplasm (ie. in the phagocytic vacuole).

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swaying Eel)

I can't remember what I put but I was pretty confident about it and I don't remember putting all those things.

The last one I'm pretty sure was Lysosome because it says what kills the foreign bacteria after it was engulfed by the phagocyte's cytoplasm (ie. in the phagocytic vacuole).

The lysosome itself doesnt kill the bacteria, its the digestive enzymes within it that hydrolyses the cell wall.

Also that flagellum question, it was a dodgy question because prokaryotes have them but also animal cells have them but in a more complex form. Plant cells dont have them and i think the question was related to that plant so i just put prokaryote.

ReputationRep:

o.k we all got at least 1 mark:woo: SCORE MAN lol
    But i think we are all getin slightly confused and i'm sort of feuling it, my obsession with this question STOPS HERE!

ReputationRep:
    LYSOSOME/LYSOSYME/DIGESTIVE ENZYME!!!!!
    they will be very strict with which one:eek3:
    **** thats my one mark gone as i cnt remember which one i put!

I really have to get over this NOW:woo: :eek3: :woo: :eek3:

:yep: its true i am going over top with my O.C.D for this question:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahmed_7)
    The lysosome itself doesnt kill the bacteria, its the digestive enzymes within it that hydrolyses the cell wall.

Also that flagellum question, it was a dodgy question because prokaryotes have them but also animal cells have them but in a more complex form. Plant cells dont have them and i think the question was related to that plant so i just put prokaryote.
    I did mean that but I'm too lazy, thank you for your accuracy :p:

And I agree on the flagellum front, slightly off-putting. I put prokaryote too.

o.k we all got at least 1 mark:woo: SCORE MAN lol
    But i think we are all getin slightly confused and i'm sort of feuling it, my obsession with this question STOPS HERE!
    Haha fair enough! Nothing we can do about it now.

edit: woah there mariame calm down :p:

ReputationRep:
    I did mean that but I'm too lazy, thank you for your accuracy :p:

And I agree on the flagellum front, slightly off-putting. I put prokaryote too.

Haha fair enough! Nothing we can do about it now.

edit: woah there mariame calm down :p:
    :shoot:
    lol:p:

ReputationRep:
    For the stupid woodlice one asking about which data it was...did anyone put observation??

ReputationRep:
    yessssssssssss

:yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep:

ReputationRep:
    lol i will never look at woodlice in the same light

ReputationRep:
    The questions were so indirect as well. Plus I pissed that I spent ages revising so much and did it come up? NO.
    Instead bloody woodlice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahmed_7)

Keep in mind that not all prokaryotes have them either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peterejhamilton)
    I didn't exactly see that coming and you can hardly say im bad at biology.

That said, yes, I did get a U. :'(
    lol, i got a U in january as well, even though i got an A last year. i think i was just really stresed out at christmas. when i was revising nothing seemed to be going in!! i actually found the paper impossible and didn't even have time to finish it!
    this time i thought the paper was ok hopefully i've done well!

ReputationRep:
    I figured out the same thing as you in that questions. i thought it was headed towards antigen presenting cells and lysosomes engulfing them.
    I seriously think the paper was messed up, no HIV or TB and it was too centered towards ecology which is propably the worse part of the whole syllabus come on

ReputationRep:
    LYSOSOME/LYSOSYME/DIGESTIVE ENZYME!!!!!
    they will be very strict with which one:eek3:
    **** thats my one mark gone as i cnt remember which one i put!

I really have to get over this NOW:woo: :eek3: :woo: :eek3:

:yep: its true i am going over top with my O.C.D for this question:eek3:
    i put lysozyme. cuz it says

...........releases ________________.

lysozyme is found within a lysosome, and lysozyme is an example of a hydrolitic enzyme. BUT I DUNNO WHICH ONE EDEXCEL WANTS! SO I JUST PUT LYSOZYME.
    im so freaking pissed off. its like we know the answer but just dont know which one to put. i hope lysozyme is correct tho...

ReputationRep:
    and also, i wasnt sure which one to pick... macrophage or phagocyte engulf bacteria?

i just put macrophage.... just to be more specific. same case for lysozyme

ReputationRep:
    Both are correct. It's not like lyoszyme is more correct anyway. As far as I know, lysozymes are only in secretions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughboy)
    Both are correct. It's not like lyoszyme is more correct anyway. As far as I know, lysozymes are only in secretions.
    sorry but i beg to differ. lysozymes are found in mucus, saliva, etc. but they are also one of the components in a lysosome along with other hydrolytic enzymes. lysozymes catalyse the break down of peptidoglycan cell wall.

btw, its not right to say 'release lysosomes' right? cuz lysosomes are vesicles, and the lysosomes empty their enzymatic contents into the phagocytic vesicle.

ReputationRep:
    Oh be quiet. I never said 'release lysozomes' =\

ReputationRep:
    what do u guys think will be 120 UMS or 90%?

ReputationRep:
    i am soo perplexed - i calculated 67 and 63 on both bio papers, but i somehow managed to get a C in both modules?!?!?!?!?

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.