Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RTom)
    There are some pretty big gaps in the spec that were not in the January paper; so while I agree with what someone else said and you have to prepare for anything I reckon that -

- Energy Transfer - they always like to throw a calculation at you and this didn't come up in January
    - Speciation
    - Calvin Cycle, there was little on the Jan paper on photosynthesis full stop, so this has looks possible
    - More global warming maybe? Exam boards like to be seen as contemporary
    - Time of death indicators
    - Passive / Active Immunity

Off the top of my head anyway.
    Thanks for that...=D It gives me an idea on areas that need the extra reading... If anyone has anymore ideas on what might come up please share.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the old syllabus specification?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minz123)
    Thanks for that...=D It gives me an idea on areas that need the extra reading... If anyone has anymore ideas on what might come up please share.
    Well, you know that there will be the Core Practicals in as well; good bet might be the effect of temperatures on a named organism. Don't think that was in Jan or the Spec paper.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, they can bring any core practical from Unit 1, 2 or 4.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got HIV and TB questions to practise?... I've only got two... one from specimen paper and the other from jan 2010 :-s

ReputationRep:
    I need practice on PCR and DNA profiling V_V

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reem02)
    really?... so we got only one new spec paper to practice?
    lol
    Ya, and none if you do the unit 5s!

ReputationRep:
    How's revision going for everyone?

Does anyone by any chance have the answers to these questions/exam-style topic tests:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...1&d=1273478174

They were posted by jonathan3909 in the 6BI05 thread.

I was just doing them as revision for unit 4 and wanted to check how I had done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughboy)
    Lol, I didn't make any past paper or specimen. All credit goes to Edexcel m'dear
    Nopes, They made those for the exams, and make us struggle to get hold of it (even have to resort to illegal downloads)

ReputationRep:
    It's my job to spread all past papers!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, hows dendrochronology carried out..do we chop down trees thousands of years old to count the rings for age and check ring shapes for climate determination??

ReputationRep:
    Actually, they can bring any core practical from Unit 1, 2 or 4.
    Are you being serious???? ok say that was the case, I doubt they would, considering it would be a waste of a question... wouldn't they rather ask us about the heaps of information in the two topics we are actually being tested on???

I'm actually hoping the paper is based more around topic 6 than topic 5... biodiversity, climate change etc feels like a complete memory test...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shuvo_roy)
    Hey, hows dendrochronology carried out..do we chop down trees thousands of years old to count the rings for age and check ring shapes for climate determination??
    Did't ever think of it like that but that is what it sounds like... :eek:
    Doesn't sound so amazing any more, peat bogs and frozen isotopes it is then...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minz123)
    Are you being serious???? ok say that was the case, I doubt they would, considering it would be a waste of a question... wouldn't they rather ask us about the heaps of information in the two topics we are actually being tested on???

I'm actually hoping the paper is based more around topic 6 than topic 5... biodiversity, climate change etc feels like a complete memory test...
    That's what we thought but in our first ever A2 practical paper [written alt] we got beetroot!

ReputationRep:
    What would you say for this for 2 marks??

The bacterium Mycobacterium tuberculosis causes a disease called tuberculosis (TB). TB can be a disease of the lung (pulmonary TB) or other parts of the body (non-pulmonary TB). In some cases, this can cause death.

(a) Explain how this bacterium causes TB. (2)

ReputationRep:
    And these questions...my answers are in italics (old edexcel questions);

2. Virus-infected cells are usually quickly destroyed by the human immune system. An infected cell presents a piece of viral peptide on its surface, held by a special cell
    surface protein. T killer cells with the correct receptor bind to the presented peptides.
    The T killer cells then kill the infected cells.

(a) Explain how killing virus-infected cells helps to control the infection of the human
    body. (2)
    Prevents infected cell producing new viruses and expelling them out, therefore preventing them from affecting healthy cells. It also kills virus within the cell.

(b) Suggest one disadvantage of T cells killing infected human cells. (1)
    ? Decreases the number of human cells

A person infected with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) produces up to 109 new
    HIV particles every day. On average, each new virus contains one mutation.

(c) Explain how a mutation of HIV could lead to the viral peptide presented by the
    infected cell being unrecognised by active T killer cells.
    ???(4)

(d) Suggest one reason why some mutations of HIV reduce the rate of production of
    new virus particles. (2) (dnt think this is needed for new syllabus :-s)

(e) Explain the role of T memory cells. (2)
    Allow quicker immune response to be triggered by having receptors which are already antigen-specific, due to that antigen being encountered before. Remain in the blod to allow a more efficient response.

ReputationRep:
    (b) Describe the role of macrophages in:

(i) non-specific immunity (3)
    (ii) specific immunity. (3)

Don't they take part in phagocytosis in both?

ReputationRep:
    hey guys could you hel[p me decide whether I should resit this unit or not?
    I got 109 111 and 51 in AS
    then in unit 4 I got 114

then lets say i get 30 from 6b and 100 from unit 5 .... will I get an overall A ?
    I checked it out myself but just want some confirmation...
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Those amazing marks! You should not resit anything. The only low one is 30/60 for 6B, but you don't have your final grade for it yet.

@pingu:
    1) non-specific: phagocytosis, engulf, endocytosis, lysozome fusing, phagocytic vacuole, digestion of engulfed pathogens etc

2) specific: engulfs pathogens by phagocytosis, processes antigens of pathogens, presents antigens [becomes an antigen presenting cell], binds to and activates T Cells, binds to B Cells.

GOD GOD GOD. I'm so worried about this mother-effing paper

ReputationRep:
    Those amazing marks! You should resit anything. The only low one is 30/60 for 6B, but you don't have your final grade for it yet.

@pingu:
    1) non-specific: phagocytosis, engulf, endocytosis, lysozome fusing, phagocytic vacuole, digestion of engulfed pathogens etc

2) specific: engulfs pathogens by phagocytosis, processes antigens of pathogens, presents antigens [becomes an antigen presenting cell], binds to and activates T Cells, binds to B Cells.

GOD GOD GOD. I'm so worried about this mother-effing paper
    Thankss!

I knowww... I know nothing from topic 5 :0 Took me a day to re-revise just immunity stuff :-s

If anyone wants a quick look, unit 4 examiners report;
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/29420796/E...miner-s-Report

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.