Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what is a reasonable estimate of what to expect to budget each year for living costs (excluding fees)?

Also, will this increase after the first year when moving out of university halls into private acommodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoodleVibe)
    Does anyone know what is a reasonable estimate of what to expect to budget each year for living costs (excluding fees)?

Also, will this increase after the first year when moving out of university halls into private acommodation.
    The cost of halls varies from just over £2000 a year up to... over £6000, I think(see here for the fees for next year). You have a wee bit of control over that in terms of stating if you want catered or self-catered, ensuite or not, shared or not... but in the end, it's not easy to predict.

In halls, you only really need to pay for food on top of what's provided, and phone calls. You can set up a resnet account to make outgoing calls from your room phone, but I just relied on my mobile and getting people to call my room phone. I'm on pay-as-you go, so I was probably paying about £5/month for that.

The university says that the average rent outside of halls in St Andews is about £90/week, but this will usually be for a longer period of time, potentially the whole year, rather than just the academic year. My rent is about £295/month, which is just over £70/week, and the lease is for just under 9 months.

For living outside of halls, bills are difficult to predict, and it depends how long you want phone/internet contracts for. I'm in a house of 4 people. Our phone line is about £12/month and includes free evening and weekend calls. The internet is about £17/month. Gas and electricity costs are about £80-90 per month, but that will depend on the house.

Basically, I'm paying quite a lot more than when I was in Fife Park, but it will still be significantly less than DRA.

Food... I'm self-catered. How much you spend depends on your diet. I don't think I'm getting through more than £25/week at the moment, but I'm not sure. Buying ready meals or always from Tesco will push costs up. My parents give me £1000/year for food and it works out ok.

To be honest, giving an overall budget is quite difficult. There are a lot of very variable things to consider. If you stated some more preferences and stuff, it might be easier to give a more accurate idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    The cost of halls varies from just over £2000 a year up to... over £6000, I think(see here for the fees for next year). You have a wee bit of control over that in terms of stating if you want catered or self-catered, ensuite or not, shared or not... but in the end, it's not easy to predict.

In halls, you only really need to pay for food on top of what's provided, and phone calls. You can set up a resnet account to make outgoing calls from your room phone, but I just relied on my mobile and getting people to call my room phone. I'm on pay-as-you go, so I was probably paying about £5/month for that.

The university says that the average rent outside of halls in St Andews is about £90/week, but this will usually be for a longer period of time, potentially the whole year, rather than just the academic year. My rent is about £295/month, which is just over £70/week, and the lease is for just under 9 months.

For living outside of halls, bills are difficult to predict, and it depends how long you want phone/internet contracts for. I'm in a house of 4 people. Our phone line is about £12/month and includes free evening and weekend calls. The internet is about £17/month. Gas and electricity costs are about £80-90 per month, but that will depend on the house.

Basically, I'm paying quite a lot more than when I was in Fife Park, but it will still be significantly less than DRA.

Food... I'm self-catered. How much you spend depends on your diet. I don't think I'm getting through more than £25/week at the moment, but I'm not sure. Buying ready meals or always from Tesco will push costs up. My parents give me £1000/year for food and it works out ok.

To be honest, giving an overall budget is quite difficult. There are a lot of very variable things to consider. If you stated some more preferences and stuff, it might be easier to give a more accurate idea
    Thanks. Sorry, I forgot to give much information! I'm looking to go catered accomodation for the first year and I wouldn't want an ensuite and would be happy to go shared. I'm trying to keep costs to a minimum. Everwhere else living costs have been around £6,500 a year and I'm wondering whether St Andrews will be much more expensive overall?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Sorry, I forgot to give much information! I'm looking to go catered accomodation for the first year and I wouldn't want an ensuite and would be happy to go shared. I'm trying to keep costs to a minimum. Everwhere else living costs have been around £6,500 a year and I'm wondering whether St Andrews will be much more expensive overall?
    If you share a room, have no ensuite, and are catered, your accommodation will cost way less than £6,500. Somewhere around £3,800 - £4,200 would be my estimate. If you have a single room it won't be much more expensive.

Andrew Melville hall is an example of catered, non-ensuite accommodation...go and look at the price of that on the link Imperceptible posted. £6500 is way too high though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    If you share a room, have no ensuite, and are catered, your accommodation will cost way less than £6,500. Somewhere around £3,800 - £4,200 would be my estimate. If you have a single room it won't be much more expensive.

Andrew Melville hall is an example of catered, non-ensuite accommodation...go and look at the price of that on the link Imperceptible posted. £6500 is way too high though!
    £6500 was an estimate for everything I'd need to live off, not just accomodation. Does that still sound too high?

ReputationRep:
    £6500 was an estimate for everything I'd need to live off, not just accomodation. Does that still sound too high?
    Depends on how much you like to go out, what other leisure activities you'll spend money on, what societies and clubs you'll join (they all cost money) and what textbooks you'll buy.
    It's easy to spend hundreds of pounds a year on textbooks alone...

With all that in mind, I'd say £5500 would be enough yes - provided you get quite cheap accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    I would say personally, that's way higher than it need be! Last year I was in a single catered room in Uni Hall. I was living off of my student loan solely as my parents cannot afford to give me a penny towards uni at all, and I didn't have time for a part-time job as I had a ridiculous timetable (serves me right for doing both a science and a language....). Basically at the end of the year I had quite a bit of my loan left... and that was what £5400 or whatever the max was last yr.

It does depend on you though. Ie sports can be expensive (I didn't do any last year, this year I do 2, but that's counterbalanced by cheaper accomm), how you like hall food/ how often you decide to buy your own food on top of hall, textbooks, how often you go out/how much you spend on a night out, etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Do you calculate for a whole year or an academic year (i.e. 9 months)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie_c)
    I would say personally, that's way higher than it need be! Last year I was in a single catered room in Uni Hall. I was living off of my student loan solely as my parents cannot afford to give me a penny towards uni at all, and I didn't have time for a part-time job as I had a ridiculous timetable (serves me right for doing both a science and a language....). Basically at the end of the year I had quite a bit of my loan left... and that was what £5400 or whatever the max was last yr.

It does depend on you though. Ie sports can be expensive (I didn't do any last year, this year I do 2, but that's counterbalanced by cheaper accomm), how you like hall food/ how often you decide to buy your own food on top of hall, textbooks, how often you go out/how much you spend on a night out, etc etc.
    You've settled my mind with this... I've been worried about affording catered halls on loans alone (and I don't particularly fancy going to self-catered in first year) so thank you! Did you feel very restricted though, or was it just not much of a problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Histrionics)
    You've settled my mind with this... I've been worried about affording catered halls on loans alone (and I don't particularly fancy going to self-catered in first year) so thank you! Did you feel very restricted though, or was it just not much of a problem?
    I'm glad
    I really enjoyed catered halls, it's a great atmosphere! And I really do think that they are great for 1st year as there are so many more opportunities to meet a lot more people (meal times, hall events etc etc), and therefore find a group who you really get on with/have things in common with etc. Plus, having the food cooked for you is a great help with the transition between home and uni, and is a good half-way point between living at home and being independent. And it takes a lot of stress off of you when you're getting used to uni, new way of learning etc. Well that's waht I found anyway! I'm now in self-catered, and also absolutely love it, but I am so glad I was in catered last year, was amazing fun, and met some of the best friends I could have ever wished for

Also, meal times aren't too restrictive, generally maybe a 1.5-2 hour timeslot that you can go for each meal (I think, can't remember properly though), and if you can't make lunch for any reason, you can sign up the day before and they'll make you a packed lunch that you pick up at breakfast. If you miss meals for whatever reason, there are also kitchens on every floor. Cleanings fine too, there'll be one day a week that the cleaner will come to your room to hoover etc, and you're just meant to make sure it's reasonably tidy for them.

I def recommend catered for 1st year

ReputationRep:
    What would be actually cheaper in St. Andrews; catered or non-catered? Is someone with 1+ yr of experience at St. Andrews able to say something about this? My self-cooking abilities are weak, so leaning towards catered. On the other hand, would self-cooking not be cheaper (although catered seems cheaper as it is mass-buying of goods)?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by T1123580)
    What would be actually cheaper in St. Andrews; catered or non-catered? Is someone with 1+ yr of experience at St. Andrews able to say something about this? My self-cooking abilities are weak, so leaning towards catered. On the other hand, would self-cooking not be cheaper (although catered seems cheaper as it is mass-buying of goods)?
    Depends on which self catered residence you were to get (ie. cheaper if you live in Albany, more expensive if you live in DRA/New Hall/FPA). Also depends on how many meals you would miss in catered (For example, loads of people always miss breakfast cause they don't have time/it's too early or/and don't go back for lunch).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I think I will go catered, although it's 6500 pounds / year. There is a gap of 3000 pounds with self-catered, but I'm sure it's more convient.

ReputationRep:
    What are the options for a 1st year undergrad who wants a self-catered, non-ensuite room?

Also, how far is the Computer science department from Fife Park & Albany?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by HayThereMardyBum)
    What are the options for a 1st year undergrad who wants a self-catered, non-ensuite room?

Also, how far is the Computer science department from Fife Park & Albany?
    You've answered your own question there.. the only options for standard self-catered are Albany and Fife Park. Fife Park is probably a 10-15 minutes walk from CompSci, and Albany is probably more 20-25 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecosse_14)
    You've answered your own question there.. the only options for standard self-catered are Albany and Fife Park. Fife Park is probably a 10-15 minutes walk from CompSci, and Albany is probably more 20-25 minutes.
    Apologies. I thought there would be more of that criteria. Thanks for the info.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.