Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I need to know how big the Flip-down tables are in National Rail trains, specifically First Great Western if possible, but any experiences are welcome. Are they big and strong enough to support a 13" Macbook?

I've got a 4 hour trip each way so I would like some entertainment with a laptop :cool: although there were no table seats available so had to settle for a normal one.

So if anyone has any experience with how big the flip down tables are, please post them, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Couldnt you put it on your lap?

ReputationRep:
    should be big enough...
    you could always have a jacket on your lap and put the laptop on it...

ReputationRep:
    They're nowhere near big enough to hold all of the macbook, not sure about strength..

In the past I've just balanced my macbook on my knees!

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thank you guys. Will leave you rep when possible.

ReputationRep:
    It'll also be hard to keep in on the table with the lid properly open. The way the chair in front curves means you'd have to keep the lid 'at an acute angle' for want of a better phrase. The tables aren't very good for keeping big things on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Push)
    Hello,

I need to know how big the Flip-down tables are in National Rail trains, specifically First Great Western if possible, but any experiences are welcome. Are they big and strong enough to support a 13" Macbook?

I've got a 4 hour trip each way so I would like some entertainment with a laptop :cool: although there were no table seats available so had to settle for a normal one.

So if anyone has any experience with how big the flip down tables are, please post them, thank you!

Slightly too small to be secure, but if you're sitting underneath, your knees could provide some support.

Trying to sit with a laptop on a train at one of those seats is a pain. I just read a book instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amenhotep)
    Slightly too small to be secure, but if you're sitting underneath, your knees could provide some support.

What about seats with a full-sized table in front of them - they're quite common.
    lately the carriages with tables seem to be 1st class only in my experience anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex p)
    lately the carriages with tables seem to be 1st class only in my experience anyway
    No it's just that the table seats have run out, These Great Western trains look quite spacious to be fair. If the worst comes to the worst, I'll use a table seat if nobody is sitting there for as long as possible, then move when they come on board. http://firstgreatwestern.co.uk//Imag...ss-seating.jpg

ReputationRep:
    I would go for a table seat if I were you. As long as the train isn't too busy they're not too hard to come by. Alternatively, book a seat and make sure to request a table seat when you do so.

ReputationRep:
    There's loads of them on FGW trains.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    There's loads of them on FGW trains.
    dunno who fgw is tbh. i rarely use anything but portsmouth to waterloo

ReputationRep:
    dunno who fgw is tbh. i rarely use anything but portsmouth to waterloo
    First Great Western.

ReputationRep:
    You can't really say.
    If its a HST then you should be fine.
    But any other train, and you won't know untill you get on it. Different class trains have different tables, and since FGW usually mix the classes they use on their routes, you won't know until you get on the train. Also, some trains don't have the tables at all.
    Just book your tickets online and specify a table seat. If one is available, you should then get one.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Get a seat with a table if you can. Generally long journey trains have many of these.

ReputationRep:

I edited my post to delete that bit, because I missed it in the OP.

Not for me, they've (tables) been very common, both on trains with and without first class sections.

ReputationRep:
    I was using my 13" macbook on a fgw flipdown table today and it was absolutely fine. The table itself is quite small but theres a useful pullout contraption to extend the table and support laptops

wouldn't be much good for anything much bigger but for something that size its perfect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will504)
    I was using my 13" macbook on a fgw flipdown table today and it was absolutely fine. The table itself is quite small but theres a useful pullout contraption to extend the table and support laptops

wouldn't be much good for anything much bigger but for something that size its perfect
    that is only on the FGW high speed trains though (the long fast trains). For the smaller and slower rolling stock fgw use on most of their routes, the tables are only good for small netbooks really. I'm on a FGW train from bath to worcester at the moment, and the flip down table is barely enough for my 8.9" aspire one (I'm actually using it on my lap instead).

ReputationRep:
    I don't know who it is who makes a mess of the flip down tables. can't say i ever have. it's horrible for everyone else.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.