Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steviebwoy101)
    So what did you do in the end?
    i realised, for me, that the negatives will far outweigh the positives. every first year in a job is hard, and medicine is a learning curve! and now iv applied

ReputationRep:
    if you're worried about lifestyle etc then GP will probs be best option, postgraduate exams wise I woulnd't stress too much I'm speaking for GP exams don't know about the rest but it is mostly clinical based, so you answer questions about what you see during training

hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schoolstudent)
    don't bother
    have a nap instead...then decide on a different subject at uni
    something INTERESTING where the information you're given can really be thought about and connected in interesting ways e.g. physics. i'd imagine (and from what i've seen of textbooks/what i've i've heard) that medicine is just memorising dead, boringly-connected facts facts and knowledge. physics will give you the chance to really think-each new idea you learn about will open up new possibilities. seriously, your thoughts will be far more entertaining if you don't do medicine. physics feels far more "living" to me...it opens up worlds of thought and interesting questions.
    I don't understand how you can think that the human body and improving people's quality of life is boring.

I actually can't think of something more interesting than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gildartz)
    If you really hate the working hours then maybe look into dentistry?
    :teehee: I'm surprised no dentist has had a go at you for that yet.

(Original post by schoolstudent)
    then decide on a different subject at uni
    something INTERESTING where the information you're given can really be thought about and connected in interesting ways
    You've just described medicine. I don't know if there is any more interconnected subject, particularly at clinical level, that forces you to think on your feet and link between fields as varied as biochemistry, anatomy and physiology, through to even include subjects such as sociology.

(Original post by Jessaay!)
    I know, and he was certainly right, but honestly for at least the first couple of years you don't learn about how little we know, but rather how much we do :p:
    Really? That's completely different to us. Most lectures for us when you really break down how something works it turns out that at the most fundamental levels we don't understand how, we're just explaining the consequences of that first mystery.

Or we get a footnote of something that was discovered last month and completely disproves the theory behind of half of what our lecture was on.

I am constantly amazed by how little we actually know about ourselves.

(Original post by nurse207)
    I would say medicine is more interesting at uni level because you dont really learn many more interesting concepts in physics beyond alevel.
    You learnt concepts like string theory and quantum mechanics at A Level? That's pretty advanced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    :teehee: I'm surprised no dentist has had a go at you for that yet.

You've just described medicine. I don't know if there is any more interconnected subject, particularly at clinical level, that forces you to think on your feet and link between fields as varied as biochemistry, anatomy and physiology, through to even include subjects such as sociology.

Really? That's completely different to us. Most lectures for us when you really break down how something works it turns out that at the most fundamental levels we don't understand how, we're just explaining the consequences of that first mystery.

Or we get a footnote of something that was discovered last month and completely disproves the theory behind of half of what our lecture was on.

I am constantly amazed by how little we actually know about ourselves.

You learnt concepts like string theory and quantum mechanics at A Level? That's pretty advanced.
    it's cause they know it's true :cool:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.