Turn on thread page Beta

Interrailing.. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    'eyy :cool:
    I'm an 18 year old girl and thinking of going interrailing with my boyfriend, this Summer :rolleyes:
    As I have never been abroad without my family, would you suggest my first trip to be a one country thing? As I'm scared 30 days continuous in the whole of Europe might be a little daunting..
    And how easy is getting around?? As said before, I have no experience travelling... nor has my boyfriend. I'm scared we'll get there... have no idea where to go or what to do... and have a rubbish time
    & finally, if I do choose a one country pass, which country would you suggest?

Thank you :yep: any help would definitelyy be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    A one-country pass doesn't really seem worth it to me - you've got the whole of Europe available to you, you can have a really interesting and varied time travelling over the whole continent. I'm going with a few friends over Easter. We're planning to aim for Athens, so we spend 4 days getting there, and 4 days getting back, with a night in Athens. It means we see much more, but we still have an idea of where we're going. If you work out a rough idea of where you might want to go, you can look into the relevant places and see whatever you want to.

ReputationRep:
    Go for Multi-country, you'll be a tad paralyzed at first and then you'll get into it. By the time you've finished you'll know the drill: Get into Country, Go to ticket Office, sort out net set of tickets, find hostel, SLEEEEEEEEEEP, explore for 5 days, go get train, repeat.

I had no idea what I was doing before I went, but we knew where we were staying every night and so all we had to worry about was getting to each city on a certain day.

ReputationRep:
    hmm im kind of the opposite to these guys i guess, last summer i got a one-country pass for italy and went round it with two of my friends- i had the best time, we flew out there then went to rome, then a gorgeous island off of naples, then back to rome via pompeii, then to florence which was beautiful, then bologna, then a lovely lovely town called monterosso in the north of italy (god i loved it there), then over to venice and ended in milan!

the first reason i would go for a one country thing on your first time is the length of the journeys- our longest journey was between monterosso and venice, we basically had to cross italy at the fattest part, and it took about 7 hours i think, and we got a eurostar train for part of it (which you have to pay a subsidy for)- we were knackered after it (i know thats a bit pathetic, it was all the changes!). i can see how you'd get used to long travelling days but with the one-country pass you're not going to be stuck on a train for a day, you can be out exploring! also, you don't have to go so far that you have to do night trains, which we preferred to avoid (yes, our interrail trip was a little cushty).

secondly, i think for the first time interrailing one country is good as you can work out how their train system works (each country's a little bit different) and be comfortable doing it...to be honest i think for the first time, going country to country would be a bit of a mind f**k for me.

i know im the opposite to these guys, but i had the best time in italy, got to go to some brilliant cities and got to vary it between sights and beaches too! also the price for a one country for a month is much cheaper i think! if you were going to go for one country italy is brilliant, though i can see why you'd want to go further afield and hit up eastern europe...

i plan to do a month multi-country pass soon to go round a lot of eastern europe, but im so glad i did the one-country first. hope this helped.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.