Turn on thread page Beta

Have you added your parents on facebook???? watch

• View Poll Results: Have you added your parents on facebook???
    Yes
    38.49%
    No
    23.03%
    I am going to..
    2.63%
    I never will
    46.71%

ReputationRep:
    It sounds funny when people say i deleted my mom and dad lol lol

ReputationRep:
    No...neither of them are on it.

ReputationRep:
    Haha no, both of them are on it though.

ReputationRep:
    my parents don't have one. I won't let my mum get one until i live far, far away.

ReputationRep:
    My Mum added me.

ReputationRep:
    God no, they wouldn't want me to. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doodahdoo)
    It just seems a bit immature to not let your parents on facebook, but I do want to hear reasons because as I've said, I'm genuinely interested in why people don't, hence why I asked.
    I don't want my mum ringing up every time there's a photo where I look at all tipsy and saying 'You are being careful when you drink, aren't you?'
    I don't want them reading every whiny thing I post and texting to ask if I'm alright, or what's wrong or whatever.
    I don't want to get a phonecall every time I swear telling me how 'mortified' she is.
    I don't want her going through my friends list asking 'Who's this? Who's that? I thought you didn't like them?'.
    I don't want her reading what people comment on my wall because it's nice not living at home and having her know where I go and who I'm with every time I leave the front door.

Don't see how it's immature tbh, some people don't mind sharing every detail with their parents and some do.

Like I said in my first post they don't have a facebook, but that is what would happen if they did.

ReputationRep:
    No I think my parents both have facebook accounts but they never use it, if they added me I would probably accept. Though I have a few friends whose parents always comment on their statuses and their friends' statuses, which I think is a bit weird.

ReputationRep:
    My parents don't have Facebook, thankfully. I doubt they'll get it either. If they did, I'd add them but they'd be on limited profile because my mum is tres nosy xD

ReputationRep:
    I have added my mum on facebook. I actually encouraged her to get it. Basically I bought her a netbook when my dad died, in order to allow her to contact my brother and I when we're not available for phone calls so she felt less lonely. I have put my privacy settings up for her because tbh what she doesn't know doesn't hurt her, I'd rather her not know about some of my drunken antics and tbh she'd probably rather not know about some of them or see some of the pictures, but it's useful for her, and she loves it. So it was the best thing I could have bought her.

ReputationRep:
    My parents don't have fb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism)
    I don't want my mum ringing up every time there's a photo where I look at all tipsy and saying 'You are being careful when you drink, aren't you?'
    I don't want them reading every whiny thing I post and texting to ask if I'm alright, or what's wrong or whatever.
    I don't want to get a phonecall every time I swear telling me how 'mortified' she is.
    I don't want her going through my friends list asking 'Who's this? Who's that? I thought you didn't like them?'.
    I don't want her reading what people comment on my wall because it's nice not living at home and having her know where I go and who I'm with every time I leave the front door.

Don't see how it's immature tbh, some people don't mind sharing every detail with their parents and some do.

Like I said in my first post they don't have a facebook, but that is what would happen if they did.
    I suppose I'm quite lucky in that my parents trust me (and I haven't given them reason not to), and they listen to me if I tell them things.
    When my parents first joined facebook, there was a sort-of "are you ok? Are you drinking too much?" type-thing, but that quickly died out after they could see that I wasn't being ridiculous.

I guess it's just that my parents and I have always been open and honest, and if I have given them reason to doubt me, I've always made up for it and earned their trust - so it seems strange to keep them out of my life. I'm not taking intimate details, but I have enough respect for them and they for me for facebook not to be a problem. I'm a big advocate in being open and honest with parents, though, so perhaps I'm just too biased.

ReputationRep:
    My parents don't have facebook and if they did, I wouldn't add them! I've got my cousins and my brother on my FB but that's different, I've also got my best mates Mum on FB. :woo:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2010
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.