Turn on thread page Beta

Loughborough vs. Aston watch

ReputationRep:
    Well guys I have gotten offers of AAB from both these unis for Accounting and Management and Accounting and Financial Management respectively, both pretty much the same courses and I'am genuinely stuck on which university I should choose as my firm (East Anglia insurance btw).

Basically I really enjoy Cricket and Squash (play for county) and think Loughborough will be the best place to develop my game, my worry is however that I will be unable to get into the main squad. On the whole Loughborough seems to be very well liked by the students who attend but I've also heard rumours about it being a co** fest if you see what I mean. Also can someone possibly tell me if they're any halal shops on campus as I'am a Muslim.

Aston I've heard from friends is a "crummy", "industrial" university in the heart of Birmingham and some of the accommodation is *****. However Aston also seems to be well liked by the students who attend it.

Finally I'am the sort of asian who enjoys kinda Asian events and the company of fellow Asians if you know what I mean. I'am defo not afraid to integrate etc. but all of us enjoy the company of our own people if u see what I mean (so most Brits won't like to go to a uni 99% full of Indians etc.). How many Pakistanis, Indians etc. does Loughborough have?

The course seems to be very good at both unis tbh though I realise Aston probs has a better reputation for business.

I'd really appreciate some help and will +rep the best five responses over the next 5 days. Thank you .
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Visit them both and make a decision, this is really the best thing to do. Since they are both good unis.

Whilst you probably wont get into their 1st team for cricket, since many freshers generally dont get into any 1st teams you could aim for it in 2nd or 3rd year. i would personally choose lougboriugh as its a bit more reputable than Aston, however the male:female ratio would probably steer me more to Aston.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Visit them both and make a decision, this is really the best thing to do. Since they are both good unis.

Whilst you probably wont get into their 1st team for cricket, since many freshers generally dont get into any 1st teams you could aim for it in 2nd or 3rd year. i would personally choose lougboriugh as its a bit more reputable than Aston, however the male:female ratio would probably steer me more to Aston.
    Ahhh.. OK and if you didn't give a damn about the ratio then it'll be loughborough won't it?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Certainly, and despite their unflattering ratio they still do manage to get within top 5 for best student experience in most years, so i suppose you should take the ratio with a grain of salt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    The business school is the real strength of Aston.

The Asian community is certainly larger in Aston, so if that's important to you that would be the safer bet
    Thank you , would you say that there's a substantial difference between the Aston and Loughborough business schools or merely a small one? Also the Asian community is relatively important but not extremely and as long as Loughborough has a noticeable Asian community then it'll be fine. Do you know more about this please?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Inzamam99)
    Thank you , would you say that there's a substantial difference between the Aston and Loughborough business schools or merely a small one? Also the Asian community is relatively important but not extremely and as long as Loughborough has a noticeable Asian community then it'll be fine. Do you know more about this please?
    Well i can somewhat answer for Loughborugh, which does have a good size Asian population seeing as its very near to Leicester, this is what a friend who currently studies at loughborough has told me.

ReputationRep:
    Loughborough's business school is really highly rated too =)

We have a really large asian population too, and there's an islamic society. We also have international thursday which is a night out at the union aimed at getting everyone from different backgrounds together.

I don't think we have Halal shops on campus but there are a few in town. Generally you go food shopping in town anyway, campus is slightly more expensive.

Think the best advice is to just visit them. I had my heart set on Aston.... till I viewed Loughborough.

In terms of sport, there's so many opportunities to get involved and the level suitable for you and then work your way up. There's all the different strings, theres interhall IMS.

I think the three biggest pluses of Loughborough are...
    + Sport. Obviously we're the best =p We have the england cricket training centre something thingy.
    + Union. On campus union... 3 "rooms"/"nightclubs" in one building, a great night out most nights, really close to all the residence, most cheap too.
    + Halls of residence. We have like 13/14 or something. Aston has like 2 or something, and there are really expensive and looked rubbish. (okay i did view aston in 2005 so probably has changed...) Hall spirit is massive at Loughborough and a big part of the "experience". Inter-hall sport is really big and there's a massive choice of what accommodation you want!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diminutive)
    Loughborough's business school is really highly rated too =)

We have a really large asian population too, and there's an islamic society. We also have international thursday which is a night out at the union aimed at getting everyone from different backgrounds together.

I don't think we have Halal shops on campus but there are a few in town. Generally you go food shopping in town anyway, campus is slightly more expensive.

Think the best advice is to just visit them. I had my heart set on Aston.... till I viewed Loughborough.

In terms of sport, there's so many opportunities to get involved and the level suitable for you and then work your way up. There's all the different strings, theres interhall IMS.

I think the three biggest pluses of Loughborough are...
    + Sport. Obviously we're the best =p We have the england cricket training centre something thingy.
    + Union. On campus union... 3 "rooms"/"nightclubs" in one building, a great night out most nights, really close to all the residence, most cheap too.
    + Halls of residence. We have like 13/14 or something. Aston has like 2 or something, and there are really expensive and looked rubbish. (okay i did view aston in 2005 so probably has changed...) Hall spirit is massive at Loughborough and a big part of the "experience". Inter-hall sport is really big and there's a massive choice of what accommodation you want!
    That's really useful, thank you. Loughborough has a slight edge now in my mind over Aston. By "really large", do you mean 10 people or genuinely quite big?

ReputationRep:
    Aston has a brilliant reputation for things like Business and Finance and there are a lot of Asians there. It sounds like you would feel more comfortable there to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Well i can somewhat answer for Loughborugh, which does have a good size Asian population seeing as its very near to Leicester, this is what a friend who currently studies at loughborough has told me.
    That sounds very good then. As I've said Loughborough's defo gained an edge now over Aston. Are there any disadvantages to the place?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure really, can't say i've ever carried out a survey on everyones ethnicity

I know Islamic Society... http://www.lufbra.net/society/islamic/.... is really quite big... one of the bigger societies (like a couple of hundred people). Ignoring the websites being rubbish, all the websites of all the socities are generally rubbish because we are far too busy being awesome =p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    Aston has a brilliant reputation for things like Business and Finance and there are a lot of Asians there. It sounds like you would feel more comfortable there to be honest.
    Do you reckon? I only mind the Asian population to an extent that there should be a noticeable number- enough to interact with if you get what I mean. I know Aston has a better business reputation but is it really THAT much better than Loughborough's or about the same?

ReputationRep:
    Loughborough ftw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diminutive)
    I'm not sure really, can't say i've ever carried out a survey on everyones ethnicity

I know Islamic Society... http://www.lufbra.net/society/islamic/.... is really quite big... one of the bigger societies (like a couple of hundred people). Ignoring the websites being rubbish, all the websites of all the socities are generally rubbish because we are far too busy being awesome =p
    What a ***** website haha but as you said they're probably too busy being awesome :woo: .

ReputationRep:
    Generally, people tend to say they like their own university, so I wouldn't take this factor into consideration.

The two universities are a complete contrast to each other. I am currently at Aston (as a result of clearing and not meeting my grades) and I am applying again through UCAS, so make of that what you will.

I think Loughborough is a more favourable atmosphere; as a proportion the people attending the university are far more respectable as people in general. Aston is rife with urban youths whose daily lives consist of weed, alcohol and causing havoc across the university.

The accommodation at Aston is horrendous, especially if you choose to stay on campus. However, the private parties, in particular 'UNITE' have very good accommodation outside the university. Loughborough on the contrast has a very good accommodation.

I would say the majority of the population at Aston are asians, so if this is a priority to you then your requirement will be easily satisfied. There is an abundance of ethnic food and shops surrounding the university, so finding halal meat would be as easy as finding sand in the desert.

Birmingham has an excellent and very diverse nightlife, the amount of bars and clubs in the city is colossal. Loughborough, however, is lacking tremendously.

Sport at Aston is OK, however, inevitably it will be no match for what Loughborough would be able to offer.

As above, visit both of the universities, that will be the best way to make an informed decision.

ReputationRep:
    So guys anyone also know the level of sports at Aston particularly Cricket and Squash. Are they popular, how many people take part, good facilities? etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_LiNk_x)
    Generally, people tend to say they like their own university, so I wouldn't take this factor into consideration.

The two universities are a complete contrast to each other. I am currently at Aston (as a result of clearing and not meeting my grades) and I am applying again through UCAS, so make of that what you will.

I think Loughborough is a more favourable atmosphere; as a proportion the people attending the university are far more respectable as people in general. Aston is rife with urban youths whose daily lives consist of weed, alcohol and causing havoc across the university.

The accommodation at Aston is horrendous, especially if you choose to stay on campus. However, the private parties, in particular 'UNITE' have very good accommodation outside the university. Loughborough on the contrast has a very good accommodation.

I would say the majority of the population at Aston are asians, so if this is a priority to you then your requirement will be easily satisfied. There is an abundance of ethnic food and shops surrounding the university, so finding halal meat would be as easy as finding sand in the desert.

Birmingham has an excellent and very diverse nightlife, the amount of bars and clubs in the city is colossal. Loughborough, however, is lacking tremendously.

Sport at Aston is OK, however, inevitably it will be no match for what Loughborough would be able to offer.

As above, visit both of the universities, that will be the best way to make an informed decision.
    That's really helpful thanks , I'am not really the nightlife kind of person to be honest and Loughborough does seem to have enough Halal shops and excellent Cricket and Squash. An important factor is though: Is Aston's business school really much better than Loughborough's or only slightly?

ReputationRep:
    Do you reckon? I only mind the Asian population to an extent that there should be a noticeable number- enough to interact with if you get what I mean. I know Aston has a better business reputation but is it really THAT much better than Loughborough's or about the same?
    Probably not that much better. Visit each and see how you feel at each place.

ReputationRep:
    An important factor is though: Is Aston's business school really much better than Loughborough's or only slightly?
    I would argue Loughborough's is better recognised. Aston's illustrious business reputation stems from post-graduate education, in particular MBA's, not undergraduate.

In summary, in my opinion, Loughborough provides a more favourable ambiance to go to university, regardless of preferences.

ReputationRep:
    Being from Birmingham I could tell you that Aston is certainly renowned but deemed 'not all that' simply because as you describe it, very crummy. I have seen it, it looks like a college, it is good for Business, but Loughborough is an up and coming university, and in time it will overtake Aston in terms of reputation.

All in all, I would say probably both depending on career prospects.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.