Turn on thread page Beta

Is this normal for a UCAS application for medicine? watch

ReputationRep:
    (can mods make this anonymous cos I don't know if she uses this site)

My neighbour is applying for Medicine this year at the following Unis:

Nottingham - rejected (but has been offered other course, inc a form on Biomedical Sciences)
    Brighton & Sussex - not heard
    Bristol - not heard
    Something I've forgotten - not heard

(Biomedical Sciences) Sheffield - accepted

As you can see she hasn't heard back from 3 unis - is this normal? Do you think it is at all likely that she will get an acceptance from any of these?

She is predicted 3 As, got 7A* 3As and 1B and had a strong - if not exceptional - PS, and a great reference. I know Medicine is competitive but still - this seems a bit harsh! Or am I just being naive?

And if you were her would you take the Nott or Sheffield offer or just reapply in a year?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    normal.

ReputationRep:
    tis normalll

ReputationRep:
    Normal. I think only one medicine applicant at my school has any offers yet, the others are still waiting.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's normal. My friend has had interviews from Aberdeen and one other uni (I can't remember), but has only heard from Aberdeen. She applied to 5 unis.

ReputationRep:
    Normal.

ReputationRep:
    kk thanks! just she's like a sister to me and I wanted to make sure everything would be ok - it just seems like a long time to me! You've reasurred me a little, good.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely normal, people from my school haven't heard from a few places.

ReputationRep:
    Interviews run up into March. She still has some time yet

How much work experience does she have? A lack of it is a very strong dealbreaker with all the unis, even if everything else about the applicant is great. If she didn't get anywhere this year I'd suggest taking a year out and getting some more work experience before reapplying. It could be a fun break and she wouldn't have to dedicate the whole year to her application, and I've heard stories of people doing just this and it making all the difference when they reapply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt7)

How much work experience does she have? A lack of it is a very strong dealbreaker with all the unis, even if everything else about the applicant is great. If she didn't get anywhere this year I'd suggest taking a year out and getting some more work experience before reapplying. It could be a fun break and she wouldn't have to dedicate the whole year to her application, and I've heard stories of people doing just this and it making all the difference when they reapply.
    Just saw there that you've got FOUR offers!! congratulations
    Well done!

ReputationRep:
    Normally takes medicine offers awhile to arrive, my friend got contacted by one Uni which said they weren't releasing offers 'till April. (Before I'm quoted: No, at this moment in time I cannot remember which university)

ReputationRep:
    lool your 'neighbour'.

ahhh, but nice avatar, macca.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Normal, but by now she has a greater chance of not getting in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    lool your 'neighbour'.

ahhh, but nice avatar, macca.
    In case you hadn't noticed my sig - I'm currently in the first year of doing GCSEs. Now, if I hadn't even got my GCSEs yet I wouldn't be concerned at all about not getting any offers for medicine! And medicine - seriously, waaay to much blood! English is the way to go! :P

ReputationRep:
    It's normal, a large amount of people at my college have heard nothing yet. It just takes different unis different amounts of time to get back to you
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Chilledice)
    It's normal, a large amount of people at my college have heard nothing yet. It just takes different unis different amounts of time to get back to you
    Although the later it gets chances do begin to decrease significantly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt7)

your application must have been pretty average...

just to reiterate its normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookWormShanti)
    In case you hadn't noticed my sig - I'm currently in the first year of doing GCSEs. Now, if I hadn't even got my GCSEs yet I wouldn't be concerned at all about not getting any offers for medicine! And medicine - seriously, waaay to much blood! English is the way to go! :P
    Said the girl on the medicine sub-forum :rolleyes:

So you'll be doing GEP, then ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    Although the later it gets chances do begin to decrease significantly.
    If you say so, I wont ask you to cite your sources :sly:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Chilledice)
    If you say so, I wont ask you to cite your sources :sly:
    I dont really need to, by now most early-mid march interview places have been given.

Thus not many remain.

Its simple maths really.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 24, 2010

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.