The Student Room Group

Is this normal for a UCAS application for medicine?

(can mods make this anonymous cos I don't know if she uses this site)

My neighbour is applying for Medicine this year at the following Unis:

Nottingham - rejected (but has been offered other course, inc a form on Biomedical Sciences)
Brighton & Sussex - not heard
Bristol - not heard
Something I've forgotten - not heard

(Biomedical Sciences) Sheffield - accepted

As you can see she hasn't heard back from 3 unis - is this normal? Do you think it is at all likely that she will get an acceptance from any of these?

She is predicted 3 As, got 7A* 3As and 1B and had a strong - if not exceptional - PS, and a great reference. I know Medicine is competitive but still - this seems a bit harsh! Or am I just being naive?

And if you were her would you take the Nott or Sheffield offer or just reapply in a year?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
normal.
Reply 2
tis normalll
Reply 3
Normal. I think only one medicine applicant at my school has any offers yet, the others are still waiting.
Reply 4
I think it's normal. My friend has had interviews from Aberdeen and one other uni (I can't remember), but has only heard from Aberdeen. She applied to 5 unis.
Normal.
Reply 6
kk thanks! just she's like a sister to me and I wanted to make sure everything would be ok - it just seems like a long time to me! :smile: You've reasurred me a little, good.
Reply 7
Yeah definitely normal, people from my school haven't heard from a few places.
Reply 8
Interviews run up into March. She still has some time yet :smile:

How much work experience does she have? A lack of it is a very strong dealbreaker with all the unis, even if everything else about the applicant is great. If she didn't get anywhere this year I'd suggest taking a year out and getting some more work experience before reapplying. It could be a fun break and she wouldn't have to dedicate the whole year to her application, and I've heard stories of people doing just this and it making all the difference when they reapply.
matt7

How much work experience does she have? A lack of it is a very strong dealbreaker with all the unis, even if everything else about the applicant is great. If she didn't get anywhere this year I'd suggest taking a year out and getting some more work experience before reapplying. It could be a fun break and she wouldn't have to dedicate the whole year to her application, and I've heard stories of people doing just this and it making all the difference when they reapply.

Just saw there that you've got FOUR offers!! congratulations :smile:
Well done!
Reply 10
Normally takes medicine offers awhile to arrive, my friend got contacted by one Uni which said they weren't releasing offers 'till April. (Before I'm quoted: No, at this moment in time I cannot remember which university)
Reply 11
lool your 'neighbour'.

ahhh, but nice avatar, macca. :smile:
Normal, but by now she has a greater chance of not getting in.
Reply 13
Gizmo!
lool your 'neighbour'.

ahhh, but nice avatar, macca. :smile:

In case you hadn't noticed my sig - I'm currently in the first year of doing GCSEs. Now, if I hadn't even got my GCSEs yet I wouldn't be concerned at all about not getting any offers for medicine! :smile: And medicine - seriously, waaay to much blood! English is the way to go! :P
It's normal, a large amount of people at my college have heard nothing yet. It just takes different unis different amounts of time to get back to you
Chilledice
It's normal, a large amount of people at my college have heard nothing yet. It just takes different unis different amounts of time to get back to you

Although the later it gets chances do begin to decrease significantly.
Reply 16
matt7

your application must have been pretty average... :wink:

just to reiterate its normal.
BookWormShanti
In case you hadn't noticed my sig - I'm currently in the first year of doing GCSEs. Now, if I hadn't even got my GCSEs yet I wouldn't be concerned at all about not getting any offers for medicine! :smile: And medicine - seriously, waaay to much blood! English is the way to go! :P

Said the girl on the medicine sub-forum :rolleyes:

So you'll be doing GEP, then ... :wink:
vas876
Although the later it gets chances do begin to decrease significantly.

If you say so, I wont ask you to cite your sources :sly:
Chilledice
If you say so, I wont ask you to cite your sources :sly:

I dont really need to, by now most early-mid march interview places have been given.

Thus not many remain.

Its simple maths really.

Latest

Trending

Trending