Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for some help with my student finance for next year. I'll be a 5th year medic so entitled to NHS bursary and limited student loan.
    My household income is usually <£15k so I normally get tuition fee loan, maintenance loan of around 3k and maintenance grant of around £2,700.
    This year I'm not entitled to the grant if I apply for the NHS bursary which would only be around 2k, and I'd also only get the a loan of £1800 from student finance, which I'm not sure I can live off for a year
    Is there any way I can have the NHS pay my tuition fees, but reject their maintenance bursary and go for the usual loan/grant I get from the student loans company instead?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smile88egc)
    I'm looking for some help with my student finance for next year. I'll be a 5th year medic so entitled to NHS bursary and limited student loan.
    My household income is usually <£15k so I normally get tuition fee loan, maintenance loan of around 3k and maintenance grant of around £2,700.
    This year I'm not entitled to the grant if I apply for the NHS bursary which would only be around 2k, and I'd also only get the a loan of £1800 from student finance, which I'm not sure I can live off for a year
    Is there any way I can have the NHS pay my tuition fees, but reject their maintenance bursary and go for the usual loan/grant I get from the student loans company instead?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks
    If you are an undergraduate medic on a standard 5 year course, then from the 5th year onwards, they will pay your fees.

See this medical financial support page for more information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    If you are an undergraduate medic on a standard 5 year course, then from the 5th year onwards, they will pay your fees.

See this medical financial support page for more information.
    The OP knows this, he wants to know if he can have just the tuition fee part paid and not get the maintenance bursary (instead, getting maintainence loan + grant from SFE)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chriscpritchard)
    The OP knows this, he wants to know if he can have just the tuition fee part paid and not get the maintenance bursary (instead, getting maintainence loan + grant from SFE)
    If Student Finance knows you are eligible for the NHS bursary, they expect you to apply for it (and therefore not be eligible for a full loan and will receive no maintenance grant). The OP will have to ring Student Finance to see whether the combination of funding they have suggested is possible.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies so far, I rang student finance today and the woman I spoke to seemed to think it was possible. I think my best bet is just to wait till the NHS get their bursary info out for this year and then give both parties a ring and check what is available.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.