Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

from my ex-boyfriend today.

We went out, but I broke up with him because I just wasn't really ready. Then later I asked if we could get back together and we did. But about a month ago I realsied how different we were and I thought it just wouldn't work in the long term. We didn't like many of the same books, tv programmes or music. And our families were poles apart. Also, I thought he may have acted a bit differently around me compared to his friends (Are these good reasons to end it, do you think? Or do a lot of guys do that? Just wondering)

Anyway, I think he still likes me. We havn't really talked since we broke up. We have a bit, and I think he still wants to be friends too. Not sure if he stills likes me or not, but he probably does.

Anyway, is he lonely and wants to get back together, or is this just an innocent text?

!"Hey *******. I know we havn't met up or talked a lot recently. It's not because I hate you or anything. I just don't know what to say. I hope you know that. I think you do. Sorry if I ever upset you or annoyed you. Anyway, I was just wondering if you could help me; I have no idea what to get ********* for his/her birthday and none of my friends seem that bothered. Thanks. Hope you're having a nice holiday."

Baring in mind this is Valentine's day and we havn't texted each other since we broke up. He's a nice guy and all that. And a real gentleman. He always paid for things and took things slowly when I wasn't comfortable. I just didn't think we'd work longterm.

Anyway, what does TSR think of the text? Is he looking for advice, or for me to offer us going into town and getting something for my friend (his/her birthday party is soon)? Should I reply to the first bit of his text as well? Is it just innocent do you think, or not?

ReputationRep:
    and make a video

ReputationRep:
    hes looking for advice..just talk to him in a non gf way

ReputationRep:
    if it were me, I'd reply starting with "it's ok," and just offer a suggestion of what to get, perhaps be vague. Say that you've been good and say something you did maybe, offering him a little more than cold rejection, but clearly avoiding any ideas of spending time together etc.
    It might be a text that he hopes might start making something more happen, but will accept if not. (hope that makes sense)

btw, I think your reasons for breaking up were perfectly valid, you didnt see it realistically working- thats fair enough. you might want to explain to him though if you havent already, just to make things clear. do it on the phone or in person though, you don't want any misunderstandings.

ReputationRep:
    Innocent but he could be testing the water at the same time, maybe to see how you feel about him?

ReputationRep:
    ur an idiot. and u know it.

What? why am I an idiot? And why do some people reply with stupid things like, "go have sex with him" etc? It's just not funny. Weird. Thanks for the advice though.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe its an excuse to get back into contact with you.. What else would he say? If you're adamant on keeping it friends only, then reply with a friends only approach. Or you could ask him if he is still interested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What? why am I an idiot? And why do some people reply with stupid things like, "go have sex with him" etc? It's just not funny. Weird. Thanks for the advice though.
    Because they're just trolling.

I don't have much advice though. Just say maybe "It's fine, I understand" regarding the first part. Nothing wrong with going into town with him if you're comfortable being friends with him (and vice versa) but otherwise just suggest something if you can think of anything.

ReputationRep:
    I've been in his position before and i am almost certain that he still likes you and wants to get back together with you. Its definitely an excuse to keep in contact with you and the Valentine's thing is subliminal but probably another indication. If you want to be friends then make it clear to him immediately. If you think theres a chance then carry on as normal. Hope this helps

Okay, I'll reply now. But if you were in my position, what would yo think of this text? Baring in mind the timing as well.

ReputationRep:
    Coincidental. He may be lonely but he's planning for a party he's going to. Gotta have something to look forward to.

So you don't think he's interested based on that text?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So you don't think he's interested based on that text?
    He could be yes. Doesnt mean he is though. I'd advise you to talk to him clearly about it so you both know where you stand kinda thing? That way you'll avoid any awkwardness that may arise.

Thats what I'd do anyway.

bump

ReputationRep:
    Just needs a friend by the sound of it. Nothing wrong in that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moh2009)
    Innocent but he could be testing the water at the same time, maybe to see how you feel about him?
    This... ^^^ it doesn't seem to me that he had reason enough to text somebody he doesn't like and being valentine's day etc, it would seem he does like you. But there is a risk of reading too deeply into it.

Only you can be the jusge of whether or not you had reason to dump him, and whether or not you think he likes you still.
    I get the impression that perhaps you still like him?! If you do, I'd give it another shot otherwise just reply as a friend x

ReputationRep:
    Slightly off-topic I guess - but how long is "long term"? I mean, if you both still like each other, there is no reason why you can't have an easy relationship for the short term, so long as you both know that is what it is. You don't have to be considering marrying every person you go out with :-/

why not meet up as friends, and talk about it? or talk over msn, which can be easier since you have time to think & can help not getting embarassed by what you're saying! But be as honest as you can, to him and yourself, and just do what makes you happy

If it wasn't for the timing of Valentine's day, do you think it's innocent? I really am probably the only person he could ask about this mutual friends present. None of his friends really like him/her I think

up

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.