The Student Room Group
Reply 1
daisycrazy
Hey Guys,

I wanted to know about the chances of gettign into Post-Grad Medicine and what degrees they accept except Biomedical Sciences...and what grades or points are needed to get into Post-Grad Med....thanks in afdvance for your responses. =)

It depends where you apply. I believe it was 13:1 for birmingham last year. Its been as bad as 65:1 for kings and as low as 1:5 for warwick i think. I've been trying to find the statistics myself but no luck.

They accept biomed science and you really need a 2:1 or a 1st if you can but some places, i think four will accept a 2:2.
Reply 2
sorry misread your post. They will take any health related science (all of them), some will take any science and some will take any degree. Although my guess is youre more likely to get in with a biomed or biochem degree or even neuroscience or something like that, related to healthcare.
The only degree accepted for post-graduate medicine courses is of course a medical degree.

For graduate entry medicine some medical schools will insist on a life-sciences degree, but many will accept a degree in any discipline, providing you can demonstrate a good background in biology/chemistry, either through GAMSAT or by taking these two subjects at A level.
Reply 4
daisycrazy
Hey Guys,

I wanted to know about the chances of gettign into Post-Grad Medicine and what degrees they accept except Biomedical Sciences...and what grades or points are needed to get into Post-Grad Med....thanks in afdvance for your responses. =)

It all depends on where you apply. If you're applying with a science degree, I don't think A-levels come into it, but you'll still have to get the required mark(s) on their grad medicine entry test (whatever they use as they're all different).

You also need a shed load of experience, a very good personal statement and some luck. I know of some people who have applied each year for 7 years before getting in! Also the majority of graduates actually start the undergrad 5 year course as the 4 year courses are just SO competitive to get into.
Reply 5
thanks guys for the response...sorry to bug u again..but does it matter which uni u get the degree from...or just the grades you get at the end of your degree?
Reply 6
daisycrazy
thanks guys for the response...sorry to bug u again..but does it matter which uni u get the degree from...or just the grades you get at the end of your degree?

Where you did your degree is the least of your worries :smile:
Reply 7
daisycrazy

No not at all.

This chap got offers from three medical schools with a degree from UEL. Says it all really. Get the grades, where you went doesn't matter.
Reply 8
Im so surprised at the number of graduate entry thread now on the medicine forum, when I was considering this...there were hardly any threads

For the some of the universities you need to have A levels with at least a BBB or BBC. But most universities do not consider A levels and instead expect you to get a 2:1 or 2:2.

Have a look at this website http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/

It tells you what degrees, A level grades and degree classifications they want.

For my degree...I think most universities accept it except Oxford and 3/4 others :frown:
Reply 10
Thank You soo much again for all the responses....Im gona go into Biomedical Sciences with a good feeling now...and work hard to get a good degree and then apply for Grad Med...thanks again guys =)

Did you help out at the openday by any chance as i was talking to a guy that said he was on here??

apotoftea
Where you did your degree is the least of your worries :smile:

The uni dont seem interested which fits with them not considering alevel
brokenangel
Did you help out at the openday by any chance as i was talking to a guy that said he was on here??

Nope...afraid not! But how did you find the open day?
graemematt
Nope...afraid not! But how did you find the open day?

It was ok id like to come down and go into town before i apply as it seemed to be a bit isolated other than that it was interesting and appealing. Also truethfully whats the parking situation like & where do you live as it doesnt seem to have halls for 1st year :confused:
brokenangel
It was ok id like to come down and go into town before i apply as it seemed to be a bit isolated other than that it was interesting and appealing. Also truethfully whats the parking situation like & where do you live as it doesnt seem to have halls for 1st year :confused:

There are halls for 1st years, but only about 40 students get in them/year. Its luck of the draw, but the university will find you other accomm not too far away if you dont get into halls. Also, remember that from the 1st semester, some teaching will be in hospitals and you will need to travel, so being on campus doesnt have a huge advantage over living in Coventry or Leamington really :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending