Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone draw the graph on the comprehension? This is how I did it but im not sure if it is definitely right.

Name:  SCAN0001.JPG
Views: 61
Size:  48.7 KB

Im not sure if it was 10^6 that was on the p-axis but for some reason I remember it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smurphy10)
    How did everyone draw the graph on the comprehension? This is how I did it but im not sure if it is definitely right.

Name:  SCAN0001.JPG
Views: 61
Size:  48.7 KB

Im not sure if it was 10^6 that was on the p-axis but for some reason I remember it.
    That's what I did in the end, initially I drew a curve through the left edges of the lines, but I rubbed it out... it ended up looking a bit of a mess but I intended it to look like yours :p:

For the second part of that question is it just: n (number of trains per day) is directly proportional to p (number of passengers per year)?

ReputationRep:
    This may sound really dumb but on the last question (first paper) i did it all in degrees how many marks do you reckon id get for it?

ReputationRep:
    somehow managed to mess up the very first question on the first paper and also only got the one root at the end cos i was bein stupid
    managed to figure it out whilst doing the comprehension which really annoyed me lmao
    but yeh messed up first and last on comprehension as well.
    stupid stupid mistakes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanT)
    For the second part of that question is it just: n (number of trains per day) is directly proportional to p (number of passengers per year)?
    Probably. Sound better than my answer 'As n increase, p increases' :embarrassed:. Overall I didn't do good on the comprehension, and thinking back on it now I made some stupid mistakes. Good job I (hopefully) did very well on the first paper.

Actually, I didnt label all of the values on the p-axis. I labeled (10^6), but not (2*10^6) or (3*10^6), but the length of the values are correct. This is how I really did it...

Name:  SCAN0001(Edit).jpg
Views: 48
Size:  50.3 KB

Will I lose marks for this?

ReputationRep:
    Probably. Sound better than my answer 'As n increase, p increases' :embarrassed:. Overall I didn't do good on the comprehension, and thinking back on it now I made some stupid mistakes. Good job I (hopefully) did very well on the first paper.

Actually, I didnt label all of the values on the p-axis. I labeled (10^6), but not (2*10^6) or (3*10^6), but the length of the values are correct. This is how I really did it...

Don't you have to consider the inequalities in the graph? I did the graph but marked the end points of each line by either an empty circle or a filled circle, depending on the inequality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toby_ling)
    Don't you have to consider the inequalities in the graph? I did the graph but marked the end points of each line by either an empty circle or a filled circle, depending on the inequality.
    I dont think so. In the written booklet was a similar graph to mine, so I just used that as a guide.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think so. In the written booklet was a similar graph to mine, so I just used that as a guide. Also, ive been taught that solid lines represent greater/less than or equal to, and dotted lines (------) represent greater/less than.
    Which graph was this? I can only remember there being one graph (speed v carbon emissions). Besides, lines have nothing to do with what I'm saying. I wish I had the paper in front of me - it'd make things much easier to explain.

On that note, does anyone have the paper? If you do, do you mind uploading it? :o:

ReputationRep:

I just did the midpoint of the range and drew a line of best fit. :x

ReputationRep:
    Which graph was this? I can only remember there being one graph (speed v carbon emissions). Besides, lines have nothing to do with what I'm saying. I wish I had the paper in front of me - it'd make things much easier to explain.

On that note, does anyone have the paper? If you do, do you mind uploading it? :o:
    Somebody in the other thread ("Official OCR MEI C4....") claims to have it. Daff2000, I think, but it hasn't been uploaded.

ReputationRep:

Thats exactly what I did for the graph :wink2:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did the same graph too. I was thinking to do a histogram at first, but then I re-read the text and noticed that they had a 'step' like graph for the same variables in the question.

ReputationRep:
    For the binomial expansion question does 1/64 ring a bell for the x^2 coeficient. I usually make stupid mistakes on those questions so was wondering if anyone else got the same answer. I can only remember the third term. Obviously the first term was 1.

+ does anyone remember what the first question was? Maby it was the binomial one, i can't remember at all.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by treemantris)
    What did you put for the last question on the comprehension?

B.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I thought the paper was a bit half and half for me, some part of C4 I completely quite quickly but I'm usually slow in exams so as usuak I was rushing a bit on the last question.

I have 2 questions to ask though:

- For the partial fractions question, the second part, where it said "Hence show that it satisfies this differential equation" or somethin like that, I can't really remember, how did people attempt that? I tried splitting the variables than differentiating seperately, but I couldn't quite get my ideas together.

- In the Comp. paper, how did people attempt Q2. with the "find lowest value" I tried dy/dx to get the gradient function and make it equal to 0, but the numbers were ridicously long, and I couldn't quite reach the end of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparklyblue171)
    Hi everyone, I thought the paper was a bit half and half for me, some part of C4 I completely quite quickly but I'm usually slow in exams so as usuak I was rushing a bit on the last question.

- For the partial fractions question, the second part, where it said "Hence show that it satisfies this differential equation" or somethin like that, I can't really remember, how did people attempt that? I tried splitting the variables than differentiating seperately, but I couldn't quite get my ideas together.

- In the Comp. paper, how did people attempt Q2. with the "find lowest value" I tried dy/dx to get the gradient function and make it equal to 0, but the numbers were ridicously long, and I couldn't quite reach the end of that.

Partial fractions, the thing simplified to two sides on of which was x^2 and the other was a third of the partial fractions bit in part (i). So you could integrate the partial fractions from before, just had to remember to times through by 3 (which incidently helped as (3)(\frac{1}{3}x^3)=x^3 ).

As for the comp, that was the right way to go about it, and the quadratic (with many many many many 00000s) cancelled out quite nicely to give integer solutions.

ReputationRep:

- Partial fractions - after you separate the variables and integrate, you get 1/3 on both sides, and so that cancels to leave behind what you need for the final answer. Then it's simply a case of tidying up and taking the constant out so that A = e^c.

- Comp - Yup, dy/dx was the way to go. You get an awful looking derivative but if you use the quadratic formula, you get the value of x = 100.

How did you guys answer the second part of the graph question? (Describe the relationship between p and n.)

I managed to write a short story for that one mark. Whether or no I'll be awarded that one mark is most annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the numbers where quite long, so instead of factorising I just used the quadratic formula to find the positive root. If you had a graphical calculator you could have used that as a last resort to plot the graph and find the minimum point. It was a 6 mark question I think, so most of the marks will have been for your workings, and since you attempted to differentiate it and make equal to zero I'm sure you still managed to pick up a few marks.

How did you guys answer the second part of the graph question? (Describe the relationship between p and n.)

I managed to write a short story for that one mark. Whether or no I'll be awarded that one mark is most annoying.
    I thought that was worth 2 marks? I just wrote that as the annual passengers increase, so does the number of daily trains being run. For every 500000 extra yearly passengers over 1 mil, 1 extra train is added.

(Original post by petkenator)
    For the binomial expansion question does 1/64 ring a bell for the x^2 coeficient. I usually make stupid mistakes on those questions so was wondering if anyone else got the same answer. I can only remember the third term. Obviously the first term was 1.

+ does anyone remember what the first question was? Maby it was the binomial one, i can't remember at all.
    I think i got -1/64 for the x^2 coefficient. First question was to combine two fractions into one. I think i got 2x/((1+x)(1-x)) for that one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by treemantris)

I thought that was worth 2 marks? I just wrote that as the annual passengers increase, so does the number of daily trains being run. For every 500000 extra yearly passengers over 1 mil, 1 extra train is added.

Sorry, 2 marks it was. That's exactly what I put by the way.

ReputationRep:
    I stole the phrase out of the booklet:

"the graph is a "step-wise" graph and increases in one step every (NUMBER) of P increase"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.