Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm not looking forward to the comprehension. I struggle with them, but hopefully it won't be too bad. I need something like 17/100 for an A and 91/100 for an A*, so I'm in a similar-ish position to Tallon-except not quite as good.
    I'm resiting C3 too, but haven't even started to look at it-I'm fairly sure most of it's covered in C4.

...does anyone else feel like they're talking about explosives?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffincrumbs)
    I'm not looking forward to the comprehension. I struggle with them, but hopefully it won't be too bad. I need something like 17/100 for an A and 91/100 for an A*, so I'm in a similar-ish position to Tallon-except not quite as good.
    I'm resiting C3 too, but haven't even started to look at it-I'm fairly sure most of it's covered in C4.

...does anyone else feel like they're talking about explosives?
    I hate the comprehension, I find them very tricky, but all my friends find them really easy :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Not looking forward to this, especially the comprehension. I messed up C3 a bit so I need 89% in C4 to get an A* (1% for an A :p:).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanT)
    Not looking forward to this, especially the comprehension. I messed up C3 a bit so I need 89% in C4 to get an A* (1% for an A :p:).
    I'm the other way round, I got 89% on C3 so need 91% on C4. But strangly I've been finding C4 easier than C3...I started revision quite early. I'm just hoping not to get stressed before I go in an panic in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me please?

For partial fractions, when you state "for mod x <1" Can someone explain how to work it out?

ReputationRep:
    For partial fractions? Do you mean for binomial expansion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanT)
    For partial fractions? Do you mean for binomial expansion?
    Oh yea. sorry :p:

ReputationRep:
    Basically the |x| has to be < 1 otherwise the expansion will diverge. So, as examples...

(1 + x)^n must have |x| &lt; 1
    (1 + 3x)^n must have |3x| &lt; 1 \implies |x| &lt; \frac{1}{3}
    (1 + \frac{x}{2})^n must have |\frac{x}{2}| &lt; 1 \implies |x| &lt; 2

ReputationRep:
    hmm c4 isnt too bad, the comp is total luck what you can get it on..just about testing mathematical understanding (i.e. - comprehension) and intuition, but it doesn't involve having to 'know' or 'remember' anything complex, you could work it out from what you should already know, therefore = simples?
    i need 82% averages on c4 s1 and m1 to get an A
    shocking how badly i messed up c3 and then missed the resit deadline -.-

ReputationRep:
    Ouch about the C3 deadline missing.

It seems to me that all of you guys do futher maths though? And are finding it easy with your STEP papers and m2's....

Like, i'm just doing maths but the same board, ocr mei and C4 is killing me. :eek3: I'm actually going to die tomorrow, past paper prep and all.

ReputationRep:
    I need an average of 75% in c4 and S2 and to be honest, my C4 is looking weak at the moment, i've done each past paper at least twice but i just can't get the hang of it, so i'm going to have to work really hard for S2 (which seem's FAR easier that c3 and c4) in the hope that i can regain the marks i will inevitably lose in C4 lol.

Also, whilst i'm posting here, i may as well ask you about something that's been confusing me. It doesn't come up in every paper but it's to do with solving differential equations and i have an example in my notes but dont understand the jump from 1 step to another (can also be seen in the markschemes of the papers where it shows up)

Basically, we've just split the terms and intergrated both sides to get:

ln (2-y) = -kt + c

then we 'e' both sides to get

2-y = e^(-kt+c)

but then the next step is

2-y = e^-kt x e^c

I dont understand how we've gone from that 2nd step to the 3rd. Can anyone explain this?

ReputationRep:
    Rules of indices

e^{a+b}=e^ae^b

Hope this helps

(That's the jump from step 2 to step 3)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolsihboy)
    Rules of indices

e^{a+b}=e^ae^b

Hope this helps

(That's the jump from step 2 to step 3)
    Ah ha! So simple, i dont know how i missed it lol. Thank you very much, it's been puzzling me for days :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Can't do the comprehension, I can never fully understand the extracts they give

ReputationRep:
    Trigonometry is so ****. So many stupid little rules to remember. This will be where I **** it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FatboyGinger)
    Trigonometry is so ****. So many stupid little rules to remember. This will be where I **** it up.
    Little "cheat" for you if you've not been told (apparently no-one, not even the teacher, had been told this at our school) instead of remembering the double angle formulae, use the formula booklet for the compound angle formulae but set \phi = \theta

so that cos(\theta + \theta) = cos(2 \theta) = cos\theta cos\theta - sin\theta sin \theta = cos^2 \theta - sin^2 \theta
    and then from this use cos^2 + sin^2 =1 to get the other two versions fo cos2theta

Don't know whether that will help anyone, or everyone knew already, but thought I'd throw it out there. Works for sin too:

sin(\theta + \theta)=sin(2 \theta) = sin\theta cos\theta + sin\theta cos\theta = 2sin\theta cos\theta.

ReputationRep:
    looks like you've all finally gone to do some work lol. can someone clarify if we need to know "small angle" stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seeker1)
    looks like you've all finally gone to do some work lol. can someone clarify if we need to know "small angle" stuff?
    I don't think we do and that if it came up it'd be given in the exam as a "you can assume that ..." type thing. I'll check the spec though

edit: not on spec

ReputationRep:
    I don't know for definite but it's never come up in a previous paper....
    Also, just read the specification on the OCR website and small angles doesn't feature.
    Probably best to learn them just in case though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Chanel)
    I don't know for definite but it's never come up in a previous paper....
    Also, just read the specification on the OCR website and small angles doesn't feature.
    Probably best to learn them just in case though!
    nah, no point going over something which isnt in the spec.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 20, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.