Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanT)
    Yeah the partial fractions were A = 1, B = -1. I almost got caught out in the second part of that question, nearly forgot to multiply both sides by 3. If they didn't show the answer you needed I probably would have got that wrong :p:
    haha that one, i was like, oh, well erm, i assume i multiply by 3. i had no idea tbh lmao. lukily i remember doing a similar question in a past paper otherwise i wouldve been stuck figuring out wth A was :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skadoosh)
    LOLOLOL.

Honestly that must have been painful. Surely you only finished half an hour ago then?
    Nah, full on blitzed the exam. When we put our hands up, they let us finish and go. So was out before the busses even started getting to school

They said they were going to put me in isolation but changed their minds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Stig's student cousin)
    Also what did people say for why Jenny was wrong? I said the trapezium rule gives an overestimate so using more strips would give a smaller value than the one in part (i) but I thought when a curve was increasing in gradient (as it was) the trapezium rule gave an underestimate.
    thats what i put, the value should go down rather than up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshC)
    erm, i got 0, and another answer, like 62 or something
    Yeah i got 0 and -63 but it said 0<theta<90 so I only wrote 0 but wasnt sure if they're was supposed to be more than 1 answer.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i got 0 and -63 but it said 0<theta<90 so I only wrote 0 but wasnt sure if they're was supposed to be more than 1 answer.
    it ended up being something like 0 = 2tantheta(4 - tantheta), so i dont think it was a negative. And im sure there were two answers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshC)
    erm, i got 0, and another answer, like 62 or something
    Same.

ReputationRep:

I think your right, it was -63, so i added 90 2 make it positive ( i think it was tan2x ) and the other root was 0

ReputationRep:
    What was the vertical vector???? i used (0,0,1)....

ReputationRep:
    yeah I got pretty much what most people are saying here.

any other answers for the last question of the comprehension?

ReputationRep:
    It ended up as 2tan\theta(tan\theta - 2) \implies \theta = 0, \theta = tan^{-1}{2} = 63.43

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A100whoo)
    What was the vertical vector???? i used (0,0,1)....
    You could have used (0,0,2) or (0,0,7) or (0,0,36796765)

The z value didn't matter. you'd still get costheta=1/sqrt13 or whatever it was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanT)
    It ended up as 2tan\theta(tan\theta - 2) \implies \theta = 0, \theta = tan^{-1}{2} = 63.43
    I used the quadratic formula and got -2 as the other root. Ah well I'm sure its only worth one mark, just hope I got most of the others.

ReputationRep:
    Although I couldn't prove Q3 (which now seems so simple :rolleyes: I did do the sketch. Was it an ellipse with 1 on the x-axis and 1/2 on the y-axis?

ReputationRep:
    Vector questions:

ii) to find the angle between the vertical and direction vector, I'm fairly sure you had to use a vertical direction such that (0,0,z) where z is any positive number as it was the line OZ. No matter what value for z you used, you'd notice that when finding costheta, the two values of z should cancel anyway.

iv) last part; you find the angle between normal direction to the plane and direction of AB. I then took this value away from 90degrees.

Again, not 100% on these, but I'm fairly certain they're right.
    How many marks do you think I lost for not taking the angle away from 90?

ReputationRep:
    Although I couldn't prove Q3 (which now seems so simple :rolleyes: I did do the sketch. Was it an ellipse with 1 on the x-axis and 1/2 on the y-axis?
    haha same! i tried working it all out, but gave up and thought, i can still do the sketch, and i got the same as you

ReputationRep:
    i found the paper ok but completely flopped the comprehension im pretty sure i dropped 6 marks atleast for being lazy ¬ ¬ ARGH. How much will this matter?? i was hoping for an A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by treemantris)
    1 I would have thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by treemantris)
    Well, I can't guarantee that that's the correct method as there are some conflicting views on here.

Either way, if you applied you the correct method to find the angle between the normal to the plane and the pipe, but didn't get the correct answer for the angle between the plane and the pipe, I would say it would only be 1 or 2 marks lost max.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshC)
    haha same! i tried working it all out, but gave up and thought, i can still do the sketch, and i got the same as you
    If past paper mark schemes are anything to go by its likely imo that out of the 5 marks, 3 were for the proof and two were for the sketch. I'm hoping by clearly labeled points get me 2/5 tbh.

ReputationRep:

any other answers for the last question of the comprehension?
    I said, nearest 10cm, though my reasoning was a bit of a waffle and I'm not sure its very comprehend-able to someone other than myself.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.