Turn on thread page Beta

I hate myself watch

Announcements

I don't like myself as a person, i'm angry at how i feel for example i can't move on from my ex even though it was months and months ago and we weren't together for that long ( yes i know this is a common problem ). I hate my feelings, I hate the way I look and I wish i was a different person but whenever I've tried to 'reinvent' myself for example when I moved schools I just revert to the same person and of course, i can't control my emotions. I even looked into hypnosis to forget my ex it's destroying me so much. I also hate school and work and wish I could go to sleep and just not wake up again.
    I don't know what to do to improve my self-esteem, any tips?

ReputationRep:
    Cheer up. It's not as if today in particular is going make you feel any worse whatsoever.

(Original post by Skadoosh)
    Cheer up. It's not as if today in particular is going make you feel any worse whatsoever.
    Thats true, but unfortunately if it was as simple as just 'cheering up' I wouldn't be posting anonymously on student room

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't like myself as a person, i'm angry at how i feel for example i can't move on from my ex even though it was months and months ago and we weren't together for that long ( yes i know this is a common problem ). I hate my feelings, I hate the way I look and I wish i was a different person but whenever I've tried to 'reinvent' myself for example when I moved schools I just revert to the same person and of course, i can't control my emotions. I even looked into hypnosis to forget my ex it's destroying me so much. I also hate school and work and wish I could go to sleep and just not wake up again.
    Just try take each day as it comes OP. :hugs:

So, instead of trying to completely alter who you are, set yourself small and more realistic goals that you feel confident you will be able to achieve within a certain period of time. Yes, I know it's terribly cliché of me to say this, but once you've learnt to be comfortable with who you are, your self-esteem will improve as a result, without you changing yourself - because I'm sure you're just fine as you are OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Amour Toujours)
    Just try take each day as it comes OP. :jumphug:

So, instead of trying to completely alter who you are, set yourself small and more realistic goals that you feel confident you will be able to achieve within a certain period of time. Yes, I know it's terribly cliché of me to say this, but once you've learnt to be comfortable with who you are, your self-esteem will improve as a result, without you changing yourself.
    The problem is I don't feel confident i'm able to achieve anything, I know this sounds pathetic but I just have no faith in myself and can't ever find any. The ex problem, cliched as it is, exemplifies this, I've tried almost everything and I'm not emotionally mature enough to deal with things, how sad is that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IDareYou)
    The problem is I don't feel confident i'm able to achieve anything, I know this sounds pathetic but I just have no faith in myself and can't ever find any. The ex problem, cliched as it is, exemplifies this, I've tried almost everything and I'm not emotionally mature enough to deal with things, how sad is that
    It's not even remotely sad OP, because a lot of people go through times like this.

IMO, you need to try and detach yourself from these hurtful situations for a while in order to gain some perspective. You don't need to put yourself in a position of blame, when you should be seeking closure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Amour Toujours)
    It's not even remotely sad OP, because a lot of people go through times like this.

IMO, you need to try and detach yourself from these hurtful situations for a while in order to gain some perspective. You don't need to put yourself in a position of blame, when you should be seeking closure.
    How do you mean detach myself and how do you do it? I can't get anything out of my head ever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IDareYou)
    How do you mean detach myself and how do you do it? I can't get anything out of my head ever
    You need to look forward, rather than to the past... is sorta what I'm getting at here. But, of course, everyone would go about this in different ways. I think what you need is to gain some confidence that, in due course, things will improve for you and that this situation
    won't be the same forever. I tell you what, feel free to PM me and I will happily talk to you more about this when I am next online.

ReputationRep:
    Go out with friends or families..anything to get yourself out the house and take your mind of things...join a club...take a holiday?

:I dont know:

ReputationRep:
    Scream into a pillow and sit in with some friends and drink with them. Get everything off your chest.

Or, get a counsellor and talk through everything, well as much as you can. It's helped me and i've had issues for a long time..i'm not perfect, but hell i've improved.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I am looking forward to, and to the person I will be in the future rather than the person I am now. Take each day as it comes OP (even though that is easier said than done :P)

ReputationRep:
    you need some skillz
    get a list of skillz you want to learn. you could start with the rubik's cube, or guitar or something.

ReputationRep:
    My back hurts from lying in an uncomfortable position, so I know what you're going through.

You just need to straighten yourself out and really stretch yourself and wait for the relief.

ReputationRep:
    It'll get better.

ReputationRep:
    if you want to talk, pm me ok

ReputationRep:
    learn meditation....

ReputationRep:
    also read good meditation books. meditation books

It gets better with age. You're probably born sensitive so you just have to deal with that. After a few knockbacks you will learn compassion and generally your mind will refuse to let you be hurt in the same ways over and over. As in, if you get dumped again it will probably be easier to deal with next time. No one was born perfect and if you want to master your emotions it takes time and experience.

ReputationRep:
    I know this one intimately, I'm sorry to say. And as far as I can tell, the only cure is to force yourself to talk to people and to be with people who make you feel good. Let me tell you, I spent seven years going to bed every night going over all the mistakes I'd made during the day in my head. And then I decided I had to make myself not care as much. It's taken about three years, but I now have friends who are good to me, and enough confidence to make myself leave the house. I'm naturally a shy person, but I know that once I get the shy bit out of the way, I have a lot I want to say to and share with people. Just find out what you want to share with people, and concentrate on sharing it. Reinventing yourself is never an option. Just start to accept your personality as it is. I don't promise it will be easy. There are still a lot of days when I go to bed and try to forget the day that's been, but you have to pick yourself up again. Good luck. x

Thanks so much for your comments guys

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.