Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why is there such a hatred toward people who use laptops in lectures?

I mean, surely its more practical to write notes and keep them filed?

But people seem to avoid it like the plague to avoid getting tagged a geek.

Is it just my Uni? Or do other people experience this?

ReputationRep:
    No-one really uses them in our lectures to be honest. I've only seen people with them a few times in over 3 years. We have to do a lot of diagram drawing though which would be a pain.

ReputationRep:
    It's the annoying clicking of the keys that annoy people.

ReputationRep:
    I do it. I don't think a tiny pink Eee PC is that geeky...

ReputationRep:
    People who do it in my uni, just use it for facebook i've noticed...frankly I get distracted as I watch what they're up to instead of listening about motherfooping microorganisms.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's not as practical as printing off lecture slides and annotating them. Plus chances of you getting distracted are pretty high.

ReputationRep:
    I have nothing against people who use laptops in lectures and use them to take notes, I avoid sitting behind them though as I get distracted by their screens. People in my lectures who use laptops usually just end up on facebook or playing games though...

ReputationRep:
    No one in my class does it. I've seen a few people over the years, but it's a tiny minority. I would finding using a laptop very distracting - scribbling notes down as the lecturer talks is much easier.

ReputationRep:
    I see a few people with notebooks and nobody seems to mind or say anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    I've never once seen people with them in lectures. I imagine they'd just be distracting.

ReputationRep:
    about half of the people in my classes use netbooks for note taking. The frenzied key tapping is quite amusing to watch. Personally I hate taking notes on netbooks, outlining is near impossible on Word at high speeds and you'd have to go back and reformat your notes anyway after the lecture. I prefer to draw arrows, create archaic short-cut symbols and kill some trees

ReputationRep:
    Lectures are for listening and taking in what the lecturer is saying. I don't see how you can absorb the information if you're frantically trying to keep up with your typing. You'll end up with notes and that no sense and no memory of the lecture.

No one ever tried to take laptops into lectures during my time at uni. I think it's one of those ideas people think is an amazing idea before they go to uni, and then when they're actually in a lecture they realise it'd be fairly pointless. It's impractical and only ends up annoying other people.

The tapping noises are annoying as hell. Thankfully no one at my uni does it.

Not that there would be much point anyway seeing as everything ends up on Blackboard :/

ReputationRep:
    The tapping is too distracting and can be quite loud. The screen is very distracting for people sitting behind.

ReputationRep:
    I use one, mainly as I can type faster than I can write

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.