Turn on thread page Beta

Should I text him and say I like him? watch

Hi, basically this guy and me went to prom together in the summer. We went a few times in the summer but once we got back to 6th form, we just drifted apart. We were never a couple but everybody thought we went together really well.

I see him every Tuesday as that's when I meet up with him and his mates with my group. It's usually for an hour-ish and we don't really speak but we have great group convos.

Anyway, I texted him earlier saying "Happy Valentines day =) x" and he texted back saying "Happy valentines day to you too!". I'm wondering whether I should text him and say "I like you " or something, or just leave it?

It's been ages, but sometimes I feel there's still something there. We're both funny, outgoing people but we've both never had a relationship and we were very shy when we're together, in the summer.

Help!

*we went out a few times in the summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi, basically this guy and me went to prom together in the summer. We went a few times in the summer but once we got back to 6th form, we just drifted apart. We were never a couple but everybody thought we went together really well.

I see him every Tuesday as that's when I meet up with him and his mates with my group. It's usually for an hour-ish and we don't really speak but we have great group convos.

Anyway, I texted him earlier saying "Happy Valentines day =) x" and he texted back saying "Happy valentines day to you too!". I'm wondering whether I should text him and say "I like you " or something, or just leave it?

It's been ages, but sometimes I feel there's still something there. We're both funny, outgoing people but we've both never had a relationship and we were very shy when we're together, in the summer.

Help!

I think you should tell him that you like him, otherwise how is he going to know how you feel? Although, if you tell him and he doesn't tell you he likes you back, how will you feel? If it's going to devastate you or make you extremely upset, maybe you should forget it.. but otherwise go for it! What do you have to lose? x

(Original post by KandyKouture)
    I think you should tell him that you like him, otherwise how is he going to know how you feel? Although, if you tell him and he doesn't tell you he likes you back, how will you feel? If it's going to devastate you or make you extremely upset, maybe you should forget it.. but otherwise go for it! What do you have to lose? x
    1) I could, and if it doesn't work, then I don't have to see him for another two weeks (because we have half term + an day off next tuesday)

2) He's from the link boys school round the corner, and his group of mates are close-ish with my group of mates from my girls school. I don't wanna make it drift apart or become awkward, but at the same time, I kinda just wanna get it off my chest.

ReputationRep:

Help!
    I wouldn't reply like that personally.

Just ask him if he's busy over the next week, and whether he wants to do something sometime.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely think you should tell him but maybe not by texting him. Isn't it better to say such a thing in person?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skadoosh)

Just ask him if he's busy over the next week, and whether he wants to do something sometime.
    ^ THIS!
    Saying "I like you " in my opinion just sounds a bit weird, so i wouldn't phrase it like that! But ye, same as above really, just ask if he would like to meet up sometime outside of your group gatherings.
    Good luck !!

ReputationRep:

This approach seems better to me. That way you can gauge how he is around you before telling him how you feel.

ReputationRep:
    1) I could, and if it doesn't work, then I don't have to see him for another two weeks (because we have half term + an day off next tuesday)

2) He's from the link boys school round the corner, and his group of mates are close-ish with my group of mates from my girls school. I don't wanna make it drift apart or become awkward, but at the same time, I kinda just wanna get it off my chest.

Yeah but he must like you though because he went prom with you. You don't just go to prom with people you don't like do you? Personally, I think he likes you, but I don't know as I haven't seen you both together. Like you said, if you tell him you like him, you don't have to see him for another two weeks! And by telling him, it will only be awkward if you make it awkward, if he says no just act normal and speak directly to him instead of waiting on group conversations and just act like nothings happened. If you don't, it will kinda make you seem like your really bummed about the whole situation... x

(Original post by fridaystan)
    I definitely think you should tell him but maybe not by texting him. Isn't it better to say such a thing in person?
    I never get a chance in person. We meet as a group in mcdonalds (it's where everyone from our schools hangs out) and just sit and talk there. It'd be so obvious to everyone else if we just went off, and also, if it went wrong and he didn't like me back, how on earth could I go back to the rest of the group and carry on as normal?

Plus, I don't have the balls for it I could, but when his mates are around.. yikes.

Thing is, I'm actually so busy this week.
    If you were to reply, how would you do it?

ReputationRep:
    Texting is such a poor medium to express feelings.

(Original post by KandyKouture)
    Yeah but he must like you though because he went prom with you. You don't just go to prom with people you don't like do you? Personally, I think he likes you, but I don't know as I haven't seen you both together. Like you said, if you tell him you like him, you don't have to see him for another two weeks! And by telling him, it will only be awkward if you make it awkward, if he says no just act normal and speak directly to him instead of waiting on group conversations and just act like nothings happened. If you don't, it will kinda make you seem like your really bummed about the whole situation... x
    Yeah I guess, but he's obviously going to tell his mates and I'm gonna tell mine. If it goes wrong, then when I do speak to them or see them, it'll be "oh heyy... ahem.. so yeah, err hows school and stuff?" and XD They make everything so awkward, seriously.

I'm good at keeping it casual. I dunno. A few months ago (XD) he told my mate that he didn't think I liked him when they told him I did (I dunno why they did that =\) but that was that and it wasn't mentioned again, because I was told about it a few weeks later (which seemed to long ago to bring it back up).

I dunno.
    And now loads of people at my school think he's good looking and it's like

(Original post by ★[яôçкšт☆r]★)
    Texting is such a poor medium to express feelings.
    Yeah it is, but can you imagine if I rang him?

"Hello?"
    "heyy you alrite? etc"
    "yeahh etc"
    "So erm, anyway, I just thought I'd call and err say that err.. I like you, and I just wanted you to know"
    "...oh...er..."

XD

ReputationRep:
    *we went out a few times in the summer

If i received a txt saying i like you..tbh i'd be freaked out. I would prefer, 'are you doing anything special tonight?'

That would make a guy mind go wild with many difficult responses to reply back

He;s on fb chat. :eek:

(Original post by fourdigit)
    If i received a txt saying i like you..tbh i'd be freaked out. I would prefer, 'are you doing anything special tonight?'

That would make a guy mind go wild with many difficult responses to reply back
    Baring in mind that we're 17 - We won't be able to do anything tonight anyway, if you get me. I can only go meet him during the day as he lives so far.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I guess, but he's obviously going to tell his mates and I'm gonna tell mine. If it goes wrong, then when I do speak to them or see them, it'll be "oh heyy... ahem.. so yeah, err hows school and stuff?" and XD They make everything so awkward, seriously.

I'm good at keeping it casual. I dunno. A few months ago (XD) he told my mate that he didn't think I liked him when they told him I did (I dunno why they did that =\) but that was that and it wasn't mentioned again, because I was told about it a few weeks later (which seemed to long ago to bring it back up).

I dunno.
    And now loads of people at my school think he's good looking and it's like
    If alot of girls like him and stuff then you need to tell him quickly. Like everyone else said, maybe you shouldn't be like "i like you" straight away... Maybe start the convo by saying "why did you think I never liked you beforee...?" I know it was ages ago and you don't want to bring it up, but it seems like a good conversation starter....And then like let the convo flow and then be like well, i've always liked you. And another thinggg, you said your good at making it casual, so if he's mates make it awkward just laugh with them and if they're on about it just say yeahh, i liked him but he never liked me, oh well. Laugh with them, then they'll have nothing to go on about That's what I would do anyway.. lol x

ReputationRep:
    Tell him in person!

ReputationRep:
    dont text, meet up with him somehow and tell him on his face

ReputationRep:
    Baring in mind that we're 17 - We won't be able to do anything tonight anyway, if you get me. I can only go meet him during the day as he lives so far.

Oh don't misunderstand me, i don't mean 'that'. I mean meal, restuarant but considering you said live so far, sorry to hear, thought it was somewhat nearby like 30 mins away.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2010
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.