Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Even A* students now face college rejections watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle7026312.ece

The issue is...
    When will applicants realise that applications are not solely assessed on their grades, but PSs and recommendations count as well?

ReputationRep:
    Exactly; grades aren't the be all and end all. Particularly for competitive courses, top grades aren't enough. People can get five rejections for subjects like English or History - generally that's because they've (stupidly, in my opinion) applied for five absolutely top universitiies.

ReputationRep:
    The guy applied for four of the most competitive English courses in the country... what a tard. He should have known it was a huge risk. Anyway, part of thing this year was that alot of colleges were reluctant to predict A* grades, since they had no experience of how it worked.

ReputationRep:
    I'm highly sceptical that your personal statement or reference play any significant role in admissions at all. Everyone who gets top grades like him will have a perfect reference, and I'd imagine extremely few write poor personal statements. Some tutors at top universities have even admitted that they don't read applicant's personal statements, or when they do, they place practically no importance on them at all. It makes sense really, seeing as the student has been studying for 3 years to gain the necessary qualifications to go to their university of choice, to not place much/any emphasis on a 4000 character essay which they (most likely) have had a lot of help on from teachers and parents.

As for the A*, I personally wish I'd pestered my teachers to predict me it instead of just As in order not to stand out from the crowd, but just appear "normal", because I feel like this year it's been massively over-predicted, especially when it's been pointed out time and time again that getting an A* this year isn't the same as getting >90% last year (with the introduction of "stretch and challenge" questions and a more synoptic element to most subjects). The whole system needs a reform, really.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps this Rob bloke should have been a member of TSR and it would have saved him going to a newspaper to complain about 'unfair' admissions. :rolleyes: Did he think he was entitled to places or something?

ReputationRep:
    'Robert Kehoe was rejected by Cambridge despite a prediction of three A*s and an A'

lol

and so are many other people....

ReputationRep:
    what a fool
    he applied for 5 top Unis
    ever heard of a thing called strategy? :rolleyes:

Tis because he's clearly a twerp.

ReputationRep:
    I hate stories like this. Loads of people get rejections across the board, clearly where he applied just had better applicants than him.

ReputationRep:
    lol. I saw an article in the paper about some girl who got rejected from Durham and there was a massive outrage because she got AAAAB at AS. I was like, yes well, you won't be the first and you won't be the last to get rejected with those grades.

ReputationRep:
    How does this one guy count as a news story? Along with thousands of others, I'm in a similar situation grades-wise - and I have been turned down by LSE, Bristol and Cambridge. It does just seem like a lottery at times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotalPoliticsNerd)
    How does this one guy count as a news story? Along with thousands of others, I'm in a similar situation grades-wise - and I have been turned down by LSE, Bristol and Cambridge. It does just seem like a lottery at times.
    Me and her are prime examples.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    Wel he's still waiting to hear from Leeds which I guess is his safety. It's unlucky, I know good grades don't give you a right to a place anywhere but if you have good grades and good predicted grades you naturally hope for a place at a good uni.

ReputationRep:
    I dont feel any pity for this guy at all. Some part of his application must have been very wack and arrogant people who dont spread their risks when picking their choices. My guy must have thought that he had a god given right to get into a top uni

ReputationRep:
    I'm another example, I really wanted to do Optometry but I had BBC predicted grades (with Critical Thinking not counting) so I decided to give it a go in hope of getting one of the low end offers like Anglia Ruskin or something, but aswell as an offer from Anglia Ruskin I somehow got an AAA offer from Aston while one of my mates with higher predicted grades got rejected from Aston. With a ******** of retakes and working harder than ever, hopefully I can get 3 A's.

ReputationRep:
    This is utterly ridiculous. A* grades haven't even been awarded yet, so to be predicted one or more gives no exact indication as to whether one will achieve it or not.

What's more, did this person just expect to waltz into Cambridge (or wherever else) just because he had good grades? For a subject like English, an applicant needs to do more than simply match the entrance grade criteria.

I hate these kind of articles. It just further shows how out of touch the modern media is with further and higher education today.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...nal-statements

This makes a very good point - personal statements are totally unverifiable and good very easily be a complete load of bull.

Robert Kehoe is applying for English - first off, he is predicted 3A*s and 1 A at A2 level, but got 4 A's at AS level. Of course he has. Cambridge are going to believe that he has gone up 3 grades in that many months and yet is still among the academic elite chosen to study one of the most competitive courses in the country. They are going to completely trust his teachers, and they are just going to ignore the fact that his predictions failed to show in the AS's. (In case you cannot tell, I am being sarcastic) Also, if it is English he is applying for, his samply essay was probably worse than other, more successful applicants. He probably has done very little in the way of extra curricular activities, being at a grammar school. (And I should know, as I am currently at one!) His overall UCAS application probably wasnt as strong as his predicted grades led reactionary journalists to presume it was, and it was on those grounds that he did not get into his courses of choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skadoosh)
    This is utterly ridiculous. A* grades haven't even been awarded yet, so to be predicted one or more gives no exact indication as to whether one will achieve it or not.

What's more, did this person just expect to waltz into Cambridge (or wherever else) just because he had good grades? For a subject like English, an applicant needs to do more than simply match the entrance grade criteria.

I hate these kind of articles. It just further shows how out of touch the modern media is with further and higher education today.
    Exactly, half the people I know seem to be predicted straight A*s at my college. The fact the article is solely bothered by the fact he's predicted 3 A*s and an A, thinking that it's an elusive, rare set of grades to be predicted, is just naive.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    this is quite funny actually (yes i do feel slightly bad):laugh:

I guess he thought that he brought himself a uni place at cambridge, since he goes to a grammar school. Or well, he didn't think of "what if?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saintjimmyz)
    Robert Kehoe is applying for English - first off, he is predicted 3A*s and 1 A at A2 level, but got 4 A's at AS level. Of course he has. Cambridge are going to believe that he has gone up 3 grades in that many months and yet is still among the academic elite chosen to study one of the most competitive courses in the country. They are going to completely trust his teachers, and they are just going to ignore the fact that his predictions failed to show in the AS's. (In case you cannot tell, I am being sarcastic)
    Ignore that - I had forgotten that they had not actually started to award A*s yet - my mistake. My other points still stand though.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.