Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    TBH that kid did get owned pretty hard...10 A*s, four As at AS, predicted grades. Plenty of people get rejected by Oxbridge with similar but you would have thought he would get into Warwick or Durham. I'm guessing that he had something somewhere in his application that hurt him like a really irrelevant PS or just poor interview skills.

ReputationRep:
    How is this newsworthy, ffs. I got 4 rejections last year, and was predicted 3 high A's, had a good reference, personal statement etc. Did I go bleating to the press? Just get on with it. Tbh, I can have even more right to feel aggrieved; I got three rejections second time around, after a gap year. Just deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivanka)
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle7026312.ece

The issue is...
    When will applicants realise that applications are not solely assessed on their grades, but PSs and recommendations count as well?
    Well a lot of it depends on PS and references.. Lots of students can gain top grades so its difficult to divide the best from the good.

(Original post by saintjimmyz)
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...nal-statements

This makes a very good point - personal statements are totally unverifiable and good very easily be a complete load of bull.

Robert Kehoe is applying for English - first off, he is predicted 3A*s and 1 A at A2 level, but got 4 A's at AS level. Of course he has. Cambridge are going to believe that he has gone up 3 grades in that many months and yet is still among the academic elite chosen to study one of the most competitive courses in the country. They are going to completely trust his teachers, and they are just going to ignore the fact that his predictions failed to show in the AS's. (In case you cannot tell, I am being sarcastic) Also, if it is English he is applying for, his samply essay was probably worse than other, more successful applicants. He probably has done very little in the way of extra curricular activities, being at a grammar school. (And I should know, as I am currently at one!) His overall UCAS application probably wasnt as strong as his predicted grades led reactionary journalists to presume it was, and it was on those grounds that he did not get into his courses of choice.
    You can't get A*s at AS level.. :rolleyes:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    he should have read this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...g_5_Rejections

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saintjimmyz)
    He probably has done very little in the way of extra curricular activities, being at a grammar school. (And I should know, as I am currently at one!)
    eh? Most grammar schools I know (including the one I went to) had a fantastic array of extra-curricular activities compared to most other state schools I've seen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Times Online)
    Among those who have been turned down is Robert Kehoe, 18, a grammar school pupil from Lincolnshire, who says he has been rejected by Cambridge and three other universities despite being predicted to win three A*s and an A.
    'Win'? Is he hoping to get his A-levels with a giant mechanical claw?

ReputationRep:
    Since when is this news? This has always been the case, 3 predicted A*s doesn't guarantee you Cambridge Entry ffs.

And I hate all this 'OMG the sky is falling" sensationalist news. I've gotten 4 offers for Russell-Group unis and my AS-levels were hardly glowing - it's the same as it always was, it depends on the course, and your personal merit.

ReputationRep:
    This is nothing new, people with great predictions were being rejected by Cambridge when I was at that stage over 10 years ago. That is the nature of competitive applications. Obviously a slow news week in the education section so they go back to dragging up the same old chesnuts each year.

ReputationRep:
    He probably came off as an arrogant prick who felt the world owed him something. Who goes whining to the press?

ReputationRep:
    Good. Getting an A* shouldn't mean automatic university entry.

There are a tonne of things which make up a good candidate, and grades is only one of them.

ReputationRep:
    "His application to read English has been rejected by Christ’s College, Cambridge, by two other colleges at the same university and by Durham, Warwick and University College "

:lolwut: When were you ever able to apply to more than one college in Oxbridge? Even then, didn't he know it's massively disadvantageous to do so than just applying to one?

EDIT: Unless he was pooled to two colleges? That still doesn't add up....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    "His application to read English has been rejected by Christ’s College, Cambridge, by two other colleges at the same university and by Durham, Warwick and University College "

:lolwut: When were you ever able to apply to more than one college in Oxbridge? Even then, didn't he know it's massively disadvantageous to do so than just applying to one?
    Probably was pooled?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people were wrongly predicted a lot of A* this year. I'm surprised how generous tutors were.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivanka)
    Probably was pooled?
    I thought about that, but when you get pooled you only get pooled to one normally. (Unless for small subjects)

ReputationRep:
    Oh boo hoo! OBVIOUSLY he doesn't know how to write a personal statement, or is secretly a rebel-child (but i doubt it if the teachers are giving him predictions like that).

If someone didn't get a job, they wouldn't go whinning to press, so why is this any different?You don't always get exactly what you want, no matter how hard you try, that's life! You just have to try again, or settle for the next best thing.

ReputationRep:
    i feel for the guy. to get the grades he's got has obviously required not only a lot of hard work and dedication but also intelligence, and he rightfully deserves to be given the chance to further his education at a leading uni. you cant expect to get in everywhere, but the position he is in at the moment, with his grades, seems really ridiculous, and i too, would be very upset if i were him

ReputationRep:
    meh

screw predictions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purpleduck)
    i feel for the guy. to get the grades he's got has obviously required not only a lot of hard work and dedication but also intelligence, and he rightfully deserves to be given the chance to further his education at a leading uni. you cant expect to get in everywhere, but the position he is in at the moment, with his grades, seems really ridiculous, and i too, would be very upset if i were him
    **** happens. English is and has always been an exceptionally popular course. All the universities he has applied to will have their inboxes overflowing with applicants with predicitions of the very top grades. Clearly, having been rejected from many of his choices, he is missing something or has just been incredibly unlucky (I'm going for the former).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    I thought about that, but when you get pooled you only get pooled to one normally. (Unless for small subjects)
    Someone at my school was pooled and had additional interviews at 2 other colleges for physical natural sciences.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.