Turn on thread page Beta

Even A* students now face college rejections watch

ReputationRep:
    LOL GUTTED.

Why do the papers fail to realise nobody gets in to Cambridge on grades alone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Not my point at all (just disagreeing with the claim that grammar schools have poor extra-curricular activities). Don't be so effing patronising I suspect I was sat in my Oxford interview when you were still wearing shorts.
    Didn't mean to be patronizing, apologies - didn't read the one you were responding to properly. Just a general point over which I find there's much confusion, most people I talk to being under the impression that Oxbridge care about extracurriculars.

ReputationRep:
    Lulz, youve got to rail consistent 100% ums's to be impressive. A's/A*'s dont mean squat. Plus a good PS and reference are necessary

ReputationRep:
    I am aware that top universities might reject people with very high grades. But being rejected by 4 and only got the very last choice left is completely different and a bit unfair imo, I do feel sorry for him. And stop saying his ps is bad, noone knows that for sure.
    He should have applied to Warwick then, I heard all people got the grades were given offers :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afridi10)
    For medicine? She must be really good at music then. I got told by a medical student that the professor basically hinted that the main criteria is being really good at one extra curricicular e.g. He was amazing at basketball, this year a girl got interview and she plays football for a premier league team. There are people with better work exp, ps, insight of medicine, grades who have been rejected.
    yeah for medicine. And she's not musical either. I think grade 2 guitar might have been the highlight of her musical career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy12691)
    I am aware that top universities might reject people with very high grades. But being rejected by 4 and only got the very last choice left is completely different and a bit unfair imo, I do feel sorry for him. And stop saying his ps is bad, noone knows that for sure.
    He should have applied to Warwick then, I heard all people got the grades were given offers :woo:
    I think that's for maths.

The fact is that even if his PS is perfect, no one applies to Cambridge, UCL, Warwick and whatever the other one that wasn't Leeds was and expects to not get rejections. It's competitive, if you don't have a realistic low-risk choice that's a bit silly really.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by andy12691)
    He did...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    He did...
    (Original post by d123)
    I think that's for maths.

The fact is that even if his PS is perfect, no one applies to Cambridge, UCL, Warwick and whatever the other one that wasn't Leeds was and expects to not get rejections. It's competitive, if you don't have a realistic low-risk choice that's a bit silly really.
    Oh he did apply for Warwick... my fault

His choices are Cambridge, UCL, Warwick, Durham and Leeds then? I'm honestly not very surprised when he applied to those places. It's probably a bit risky in most people's opinions, but I think he would expect to get at least 1 from his 4 top choices. I know a lot of people with much worse grades still got conditional offers from one of them, so he must be very unlucky, and I do feel bad for him about it.

I think he would take a year out and reapply if he ended up with 3A*s+ 1A at the end of the year, going to Leeds with those grades is a bit crap tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Damn, he doesn't appear to be on Facebook, so we can't troll him :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Only read page 1 but I know at least in my case that I was never prepared for university, probably in part as I am in my mid twenties and was told by my teachers who were snobs(treated council estate kids like scum and kids from "good" families as geniuses" that I would fail in life and be lucky if I get a minimum wage job.

Left school with mainly grade 1's(100% in many of my exams!) and had no idea university really existed as went to college, it was only a few years later that I went to a local uni part time and asked for a reference to get one from school saying I was a poor student and got low grades! how is grade 1's poor when it is the highest grades!

On that subject I feel people from lower class families have more problems writing a PS due to lack of moral support so have an unfair disavantage so need some training in writing one.

ReputationRep:
    Is it wrong to think he looks incredibly snobby and arrogant? :p:

But, I dont know ... something doesnt seem right with that article. There must have been something in his application that just wasnt good. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Damn, he doesn't appear to be on Facebook, so we can't troll him :sigh:
    You can always set up a group mocking him :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saintjimmyz)
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...nal-statements

This makes a very good point - personal statements are totally unverifiable and good very easily be a complete load of bull.

Robert Kehoe is applying for English - first off, he is predicted 3A*s and 1 A at A2 level, but got 4 A's at AS level. Of course he has. Cambridge are going to believe that he has gone up 3 grades in that many months and yet is still among the academic elite chosen to study one of the most competitive courses in the country. They are going to completely trust his teachers, and they are just going to ignore the fact that his predictions failed to show in the AS's. (In case you cannot tell, I am being sarcastic) Also, if it is English he is applying for, his samply essay was probably worse than other, more successful applicants. He probably has done very little in the way of extra curricular activities, being at a grammar school. (And I should know, as I am currently at one!) His overall UCAS application probably wasnt as strong as his predicted grades led reactionary journalists to presume it was, and it was on those grounds that he did not get into his courses of choice.
    Can't get A* at AS level..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good Apollo)
    I'm highly sceptical that your personal statement or reference play any significant role in admissions at all. Everyone who gets top grades like him will have a perfect reference, and I'd imagine extremely few write poor personal statements. Some tutors at top universities have even admitted that they don't read applicant's personal statements, or when they do, they place practically no importance on them at all. It makes sense really, seeing as the student has been studying for 3 years to gain the necessary qualifications to go to their university of choice, to not place much/any emphasis on a 4000 character essay which they (most likely) have had a lot of help on from teachers and parents.
    Personally, I disagree. I got rubbish AS levels given what I can achieve and what the universities I applied for require. I decided to apply just for the heck of it, but put my all in my PS. I have 3 offers from unis I'd love to go to. Of course, for courses such as medicine, English or (the traditional) history, I probably wouldn't have been so lucky. However, had I submitted an awful PS, I doubt that the unis would have given me offers.

Also, my reference wasn't perfect. For some reason my Chemistry AS was on there, and it pretty much read, 'Steffi is the retard child of the class...' Only dressed up nicely. Wow, why did I get any offers, actually? :o:

ReputationRep:
    It sounds obvious, but the choice of course is a huge factor. Obviously those applying for courses such as PPE, History etc face intense competition and a large number of Uni's, which is why these 'A*' candidates are being rejected. However, by simply picking a less competitive course it is much easier to get into a 'top' university. I am by no means a top A* student, but I managed to get into Imperial, Durham and UCL for Geology, (even with only 3A*s as GCSE)..... which is why I find it funny when people wonder why they weren't excepted when they apply for a course which is incredibly oversubscribed.

ReputationRep:
    This is silly..
    If people do predict A*s, its usually for the best people in the year.. I scored the highest mark in each subject at AS, which I why I got predicted A*s, and it must have helped with my application, but it was definitely not the only factor.
    Universities look at everything and people ranting about selection need to grow up.
    Schools need to tell their students to make choices that are evenly spread across the league tables, rather than focusing only on the 'elite' universities.
    And I do think personal statements and extra curricular aspects of an application mean a lot more than being predicted A*s anyway. I'm sure the university wants people who are passionate about their subjects, rather than just people who can score high marks at exams.

ReputationRep:
    I’m a little sympathetic to this lad. Even though I’m not saying top grades should get people good places, it’s got to have been disappointing when you come to think about it. I’ve been offered places to study English at a number of fairly reputable universities despite a couple of flaws: a mediocre personal statement, average GCSE grades etc. I wasn’t interviewed either, so the universities offering me a place on this very popular course could only go on my personal statement and my references, with the latter being quite good. I can imagine he was encouraged by his teachers and his parents to apply for these universities and as a high achieving student, this would only have been natural of them to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good Apollo)
    Have you gone to an very poor school? Did any of these universities interview you?
    I went to the 2nd best school (6th form) in Bristol and one of the best boys schools in the country.

None of the courses I applied for required an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    I went to the 2nd best school (6th form) in Bristol and one of the best boys schools in the country.

None of the courses I applied for required an interview.
    Do you mind me asking which school you are studying at? And what is the 'best' school in Bristol you mentioned above? Thanks

Life goes on...

and there's still extra + clearing. Also, wth did he apply to 5 competitive unis? tut tut.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.