The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Good Apollo
The only other thing I can think of is that you may have really good GCSEs?

I said in the first post that I had pretty poor GCSEs, a couple of A*, 4 A, 3 B and a C.
He looks like an utter cock, maybe that's the problem.
Bhumbauze
He looks like an utter cock, maybe that's the problem.

HAHAHAHAHA:toofunny: I thought he looked a bit strange.
People like him have to know that even with good grades, you can still get rejected!

I don't know why he's getting an article written about him when there are thousands of other applicants getting rejected with even better grades :erm: Life goes on!

This UCAS system is really a lottery sometimes.....we just send it off and hope!
Reply 84
somebody call this kid a WHAAAAAMMMBULANCE. He wasn't what they were looking for in a student, no need to go to the paper about it.
Reply 85
A levels & GCSEs may need to get harder/ Universities should open up a few more spots/ all universities should have there own admission tests.

That's what i reckon needs to be done.
domino0806
You can't get A*s at AS level.. :rolleyes:

TylerDurden
Can't get A* at AS level..

saintjimmyz
Ignore that - I had forgotten that they had not actually started to award A*s yet - my mistake. My other points still stand though.

Need I say more? Although my original post and that one were on seperate pages, so you guys may not have seen this second one.

ChemistBoy
eh? Most grammar schools I know (including the one I went to) had a fantastic array of extra-curricular activities compared to most other state schools I've seen.

You are right there, but in my experience there are two types of people at grammar schools: those who have the time for extra curricular activities and work experience, and those who prefer to focus on their grades. Judging by the faith this guy seems to have in his grades, I would guess he is the second type. However that is just an educated guess based on sweeping generalisations.

On the subject of university entrances, a friend of mine was initially rejected from studying medicine at cambridge, warwick, durham, hull and another university despite straight A*s at GCSE and very very high As at A level, and vast amounts of work experience, and high level sporting coaching awards. He took a gap year, did more work experience, had a part time job, even volunteered to teach in a school in africa for 3 months. He made the same set of applications the next year, and was offered places at all of his choices.

Just something to think about...
Reply 87
It really gets on my wick when people moan on about the fact that of course anyone can get a Cambridge rejection but you'd think one of the others would have made an offer etc etc. In terms of applications per place the likes of Durham and Warwick are more competitive than Cambridge, and also they're judging by their own criteria, not waiting around to see who Cambridge don't want. Most of the people they will have been rejecting will have perfect grades - it's nonsense to bleat about not getting an offer from any super-competitive uni.
Reply 88
megaduck
It really gets on my wick when people moan on about the fact that of course anyone can get a Cambridge rejection but you'd think one of the others would have made an offer etc etc. In terms of applications per place the likes of Durham and Warwick are more competitive than Cambridge, and also they're judging by their own criteria, not waiting around to see who Cambridge don't want. Most of the people they will have been rejecting will have perfect grades - it's nonsense to bleat about not getting an offer from any super-competitive uni.

I agree with you in that there are other universities apart from Oxbridge that are extremely competitive. I believe that most people think that Oxbridge is more competitive (even though it doesn't have the most applicants per place compared to other universities) because the standard of candidates that apply to Oxbridge is perceived to be higher than other universities.
Reply 89
What it must be like, to be up your own arse so much you complain to the media because you got rejected from an elite uni. You may be an outstanding student, but so were the 1000 others who applied for the course.
Reply 90
Zungie
What it must be like, to be up your own arse so much you complain to the media because you got rejected from an elite uni. You may be an outstanding student, but so were the 1000 others who applied for the course.

Not really if someone has excellent qualifications they have earnt them and deserve that place. The system is fair but that doesn't mean it is free from making mistakes in the case of minority of candidates.
Reply 91
afridi10
Not really if someone has excellent qualifications they have earnt them and deserve that place. The system is fair but that doesn't mean it is free from making mistakes in the case of minority of candidates.

I was also illustrating the point he must have personality flaws too. Intelligence has no indication on someone's personality.
Reply 92
afridi10

Just because someone has excellent qualifications and has earned them, who hasn't, it doesn't mean they deserve a place. What Zungie said still stands, other applicants are just as qualified as he is.
Reply 93
afridi10

Where's the mistake here though? The lad applied for a course where only a small minority of applicants get offers, and he didn't get any offers (or rather he hasn't yet). It would only be a mistake if the unis hadn't realised how good his qualifications were, or if people who didn't meet their criteria as well got offers and he didn't. As it is, chances are the people who got offers met the criteria (and that's all the criteria, not just the grades) better than he did, as competition is so tough. No mistake at all.
Reply 94
I know Robert Kehoe. He's in the same year as me at the same school. I am predicted 3 A*s and an A and I got rejected from Oxbridge as well but I just accepted that fact and moved on.
Reply 95
Gemini92
I know Robert Kehoe. He's in the same year as me at the same school. I am predicted 3 A*s and an A and I got rejected from Oxbridge as well but I just accepted that fact and moved on.

Do you know whether it was the school who contacted the press, or himself? :biggrin:
Reply 96
doivid
Do you know whether it was the school who contacted the press, or himself? :biggrin:

I'm not sure but I think it was him. The school wouldn't make that much of a fuss.
Reply 97
Found out that it was him that contacted the media not the school.

Latest

Trending

Trending