Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    I reckon you should read some of the really classical books, like the Aeneid or the Odyssey.
    :yes: I made the mistake though of trying to read The Illiad beforehand, took me.. 3 attempts to read that! But yes, The Odyssey is good - how about The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath)? Is that considered a 'classic'?

ReputationRep:
    The Outsider is ridiculously easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    My favourite book is Tess of the D'Ubervilles by Thomas Hardy - I think it's quite easy to read xx
    Tess annoys me simply because I think I would have loved it if I wasn't doing it in school and therefore have analysed it to death. It is growing on me, so maybe if I come back to it in a year with a non-annotated copy I will like it more!! :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChopinNocturne)
    Tess annoys me simply because I think I would have loved it if I wasn't doing it in school and therefore have analysed it to death. It is growing on me, so maybe if I come back to it in a year with a non-annotated copy I will like it more!! :o:
    Haha I was like that with William Blake, Marlowe and Dickens xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    Haha I was like that with William Blake, Marlowe and Dickens xx
    I've only just dared to read Jane Eyre again (one of my favourite books before GCSE coursework!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yemisdate)
    The Outsider is ridiculously easy
    this.

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich (Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn) is short too !!

if you're female, maybe A Room Of One's Own by Virginia Woolf...if you're a guy, best not. :mmm:

Jane Eyre was waaaay too long :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    Alexandre Dumas, "The Three Musketeers". Very fun! Memories of being 11 and not knowing f-all how French names are pronounced, must have sounded like a right idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Margaret Attwood - Handmaid's Tale
    Reading that as we speak Very good book ...

I'd also recommend A Room With A View by E.M Forster

ReputationRep:
    Anything by Hardy is good, fairly easy but very well written.

ReputationRep:
    1984,Brave New World, Farenheit 451, Cats Cradle and Dracula are all really easy books to get into, some may not have the same "classic" status as Pride and Prejudice or Tess but theyre a hell of a lot less dull and good starting reads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yekim_8)
    Animal Farm by George Orwell.
    This, this an oh so this.

You couldn't ask for an easier to read classic.

Personally, I love Dumas. I find him incredibly easy to read.

ReputationRep:
    the catcher in the rye. very easy to read and an awesome story if you like symbolism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    I reckon you should read some of the really classical books, like the Aeneid or the Odyssey.
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Jane Eyre's a pretty easy to read classic. You might also want to try Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, David Copperfield...

ReputationRep:
    The Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marlene Dietrich)
    The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald
    Hugely second this, I love this book - great story and unbelievably easy to read

Also recommend Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, another easy read with a good plot

ReputationRep:
    1984 - George Orwell
    Animal Farm - George Orwell
    Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
    Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
    To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee (probably my favourite on the list)

oh and catch-22 by joseph heller if you want something that doesnt take itself too seriously

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xelarose)
    Reading that as we speak Very good book ...

I'd also recommend A Room With A View by E.M Forster
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'm doing Handmaid's Tale for my A2 English Lit coursework . I also recommend other books/plays I've done at school:

The Colour Purple - Alice Walker
    The Crucible - Arthur Miller
    Broken Glass - Arthur Miller
    A View from the Bridge - Arthur Miller

ReputationRep:
    The Great Gatsby, and anything by Dickens is pretty easy.

ReputationRep:
    Animal Farm is a must then if you like Orwell try 1984, and then if you like the ideas discussed in 1984, try anthony burgess's 1985.

I also really enjoyed Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee.

And To Kill a Mockingbird, just get past the first few pages and you'll read it in no time.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.