Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Pride and Prejudice (Y)

ReputationRep:
    Wuthering Heights is surprisingly easy, and pretty unputdownable. Yeah, we all know how it ends, but still, I was surprised at how much I liked it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gutterflower_19)
    Wuthering Heights is surprisingly easy, and pretty unputdownable. Yeah, we all know how it ends, but still, I was surprised at how much I liked it.
    I hated wuthering heights after having to analyse it for GCSE english coursework, it was awful. and to add to it the question was something along the lines of "how is the reader made to feel empathy for the characters" which i couldnt really answer since i found most of the characters, especially heathcliffe and cathy to be awful people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RaspberryHaze)
    So basically I need to expand my range of reading and think classics are a good place to start and so i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for classic books that aren't too 'heavy' a.k.a. not something like war and peace :p:

Thanks
    The five people you meet in heaven

ReputationRep:
    I found "1984" (Orwell) and "Frankenstein" (Shelley) easy reads. Good books too! =)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde - Stevenson (easiest book to read since the very hungry caterpillar :p: )
    1984 - Orwell
    Animal Farm - Orwell
    Silas Marner - Eliot
    The Odyssey - Homer

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this is considered a classic but A brave new world by Alduous Huxley is SOOOO good, and not too long. Really eye-opening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    I've always though that Lolita is reasonably easy to plough through.
    I'm sure she is. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffDee)
    Not sure if this is considered a classic but A brave new world by Alduous Huxley is SOOOO good, and not too long. Really eye-opening.

Brave New World is great :P If Orwell had Soviet Russia with 1984 et al. then Huxley had America. Thats what you get with BNW. I thoroughly recommend it.

For my own suggestions how about "Ulysses" by James Joyce? :P *runs away*...okay thats a little too dense.
    Personally I'd stick with something like most people have already suggested, orwell, wilde, austen, huxley , hardy if you wanted etc.

On my own , I'd suggest "Darkness at Noon" by Arthur Koestler. Best book I've ever personally read. The character and more importantly the mind of Rubashov (a partisan) during the period of the Moscow Trials is nothing short of astounding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artymess)
    I hated wuthering heights after having to analyse it for GCSE english coursework, it was awful. and to add to it the question was something along the lines of "how is the reader made to feel empathy for the characters" which i couldnt really answer since i found most of the characters, especially heathcliffe and cathy to be awful people
    That's the problem with the books you do at school, you end up hating them. I'm sure I'd adore Pride and Prejudice if it wasn't for doing it for GCSE...
    It's weird but one of the reasons I loved Wuthering Heights was because it's so hard to empathize with Cathy and Heathcliffe - the only thing they have going for them is the fact that they apparently are hopelessly in love with each other.

ReputationRep:
    Chaucer :yes:

:teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gutterflower_19)
    That's the problem with the books you do at school, you end up hating them. I'm sure I'd adore Pride and Prejudice if it wasn't for doing it for GCSE...
    It's weird but one of the reasons I loved Wuthering Heights was because it's so hard to empathize with Cathy and Heathcliffe - the only thing they have going for them is the fact that they apparently are hopelessly in love with each other.
    agreed. its probably harder to enjoy it after you've been forced to read and study it. i'd rather read for my own entertainment than to keep exam boards happy

ReputationRep:
    Wise Children is quite readable.

As is Dracula.

ReputationRep:
    The Great Gatsby or the Catcher in the Rye.

ReputationRep:
    The Bell Jar is pretty easy to read. As are Orwell's but people have already mentioned them :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yekim_8)
    Animal Farm by George Orwell.
    I agree with that one! Oh and someone said Jane Eyre and thats good too. Oh and so are any Jane Austen ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    My favourite book is Tess of the D'Ubervilles by Thomas Hardy - I think it's quite easy to read xx
    Yeah, that. I read it when I was 13 and thought it was a pretty easy classic, so I don't think you would have a problem with that. You could also try Jane Eyre, that's quite easy as well.
    Personally I wouldn't go for Austen, I've never actually managed to finished any one of her books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .pushing.charlotte.)
    the catcher in the rye. very easy to read and an awesome story if you like symbolism
    yeah i think im gonna start on this one because i seem to be the only person not to have done it at GCSE :p:

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Does Sherlock Holmes count as a classic?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Mikimoto)
    Does Sherlock Holmes count as a classic?
    I was debating this in my head...the OP should read them either way though :yep: great recommendation

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.