Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was really wowed i hadn;t seen Gatsby up until the very last post. It is excellent though.
    The last tycoon by Fitzgerald is pretty decent too. And find his short stories online or in a library, Winter Dreams, or Diamonds as big as the ritz.
    A clockwork orange by Anthony Burgess. I'll admit it's not the easiest book to read at first. but you do become completly understanding of the 'nadsat' by the second chapter.
    Hard Times by Dickens.
    Brave new World By Aldous huxley, - An AMAZING read. and easy to grasp.

ReputationRep:
    To Kill A Mockingbird
    or
    Jane Eyre

I suggest that you never read Wuthering Heights; overrated and a load of old poopy.

(Original post by RaspberryHaze)
    So basically I need to expand my range of reading and think classics are a good place to start and so i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for classic books that aren't too 'heavy' a.k.a. not something like war and peace :p:

Thanks
    Picture of Dorian Gray is pretty easy to read. Great book as well. If you want to read some Tolstoy, maybe get you set up for War and Peace, you could his other novel - Anna Karenina, which is excellent.

ReputationRep:
    Animal Farm is so easy to read but somewhat disappointingly short! I thoroughly recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    To Kill a Mockingbird. Definitely.

So clever and has a real air of youth and naivity about the narrative. I love that book so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    I was debating this in my head...the OP should read them either way though :yep: great recommendation
    Mmm. They're usually included in those classic series, but either way they should definitely be read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RaspberryHaze)
    So basically I need to expand my range of reading and think classics are a good place to start and so i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for classic books that aren't too 'heavy' a.k.a. not something like war and peace :p:

Thanks
    A Room with a view or Passage to India - E.M.Forster

The Outsider - Albert Camus & Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka (Both quite short, but well famously interesting)

The Awakening - Kate Chopin, also quite short.

ReputationRep:
    Just posting to subscribe, some great ideas here :hifive:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Colbert)
    Just posting to subscribe, some great ideas here :hifive:
    You can also subscribe to a thread without posting by using thread tools at the top of the page, just in case you want that option in future

Just realised you've been here since 2008 so probably already know that...I feel a little silly now :sigh: but I'll leave this post just incase...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    You can also subscribe to a thread without posting by using thread tools at the top of the page, just in case you want that option in future

Just realised you've been here since 2008 so probably already know that...I feel a little silly now but I'll leave this post just incase...
    No need to feel silly

I did not know this so thank you muchly :yes:

ReputationRep:
    The Catcher in the Rye is very easy to read and such a good book!

I've also read Gatsby and would recommend it but not as much as Catcher. Wouldn't really recommend Tess of the D'urbervilles (sorry to those who have!)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Colbert)
    No need to feel silly

I did not know this so thank you muchly :yes:
    Ah ok :giggle: glad to be of help

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend:
    -Jane Eyre
    -He Knew He Was Right
    -David Copperfield
    -Pride and Prejudice
    All very good and not too hard to read!

ReputationRep:
    Dubliners by James Joyce is a very good collection of short stories.

(Original post by cubismdream)
    Dubliners by James Joyce is a very good collection of short stories.
    Good thing you didn't say Ulysses by James Joyce. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Wow I'm definitely going to try and read books on this thread.
    Dracula - Bram Stoker is fairly easy to get into (I loved it especially because I still adore fantasy novels and am still attached to my Harry Potter :p: so this was like the perfect 'classic' for me )
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain is supposed to be an easy read
    Animal Farm - George Orwell - read that in Year 8 and it's good although I never will like reading a story about animals :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie.Alice)
    Brave new World By Aldous huxley, - An AMAZING read. and easy to grasp.
    I don't know if it's just me, but I found Brave New World really tedious and I would probably go as far as to say it's one of my least favourite books. I haven't met many people who've read the book, so I don't know what the general response to it is, but I personally struggled through it and found it quite dull...!

I would recommend Of Mice and Men and The Catcher in the Rye, as they're both quite short and not too difficult to read, but are nevertheless very interesting and moving (imo). Also, not sure if it's considered a classic, but I would recommend The Thirty-Nine Steps - quite easy, gripping and action-packed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    Good thing you didn't say Ulysses by James Joyce. :p:
    Haha, definitely.

(Original post by mrs_featherbottom)
    I don't know if it's just me, but I found Brave New World really tedious and I would probably go as far as to say it's one of my least favourite books. I haven't met many people who've read the book, so I don't know what the general response to it is, but I personally struggled through it and found it quite dull...!

I would recommend Of Mice and Men and The Catcher in the Rye, as they're both quite short and not too difficult to read, but are nevertheless very interesting and moving (imo). Also, not sure if it's considered a classic, but I would recommend The Thirty-Nine Steps - quite easy, gripping and action-packed.
    I'm Bob Loblaw, nice to meet you. Please take a look at Bob loblaw's law blog.

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    I'm Bob Loblaw, nice to meet you. Please take a look at Bob loblaw's law blog.

:awesome:
    Bob Loblaw is possibly one of the best names ever. And basically everything else from Arrested Development is amazing, too (except for that awful storyline with Rita)!

Obligatory AD quote: 'Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist.'

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.