Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    most of H.G Wells books are alright, the time machine, war of the worlds etc. Also, 1984 by George Orwell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gutterflower_19)
    That's the problem with the books you do at school, you end up hating them. I'm sure I'd adore Pride and Prejudice if it wasn't for doing it for GCSE...
    It's weird but one of the reasons I loved Wuthering Heights was because it's so hard to empathize with Cathy and Heathcliffe - the only thing they have going for them is the fact that they apparently are hopelessly in love with each other.
    I disagree, I really liked doing all the books I did at school because I uncovered things that I never would have on my own and got really in depth with them. But I did have a really good teacher so that probably played some part in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biffyclyro27)
    I disagree, I really liked doing all the books I did at school because I uncovered things that I never would have on my own and got really in depth with them. But I did have a really good teacher so that probably played some part in it.
    Yeah, the teacher you have can make or break a subject for you, i think. I just found that analysing the books i did at gcse and a level killed them...halfway through an english degree though, so it can't have been that bad. The only texts i studied at school that weren't absolutely destroyed for me by analysis-overkill were probably To Kill A Mockingbird and Hamlet.

Put it this way, i never want to hear anything about Death of a Salesman EVER again.

ReputationRep:
    Great Expectations.

ReputationRep:
    Bonjour Tristesse - I loved it - only about 100 pages or so.

ReputationRep:
    Animal Farm by George Orwell

ReputationRep:
    Eugene Onegin is worth reading :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    Eugene Onegin is worth reading :yep:
    Wow, someone actually mentioned it And yes, hell it is.

Sienkiewicz is quite readable, too.

By the way, OP... War and Peace only looks heavy.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.