Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I achieved 10A*'s, 1A and 1B in GCSE's. Im currently in AS and am studying Maths, Further Maths, History and Philosophy.

I want to be a political leader when I grow up - like Gandhi for example. I was wondering what courses would be good for that kind of all round intellectual stuff?

Assuming money isn't an issue what universities + courses do you think would be good?

Thanks!

EDIT: spelling

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a degree to lead a passive offense against apartheid... Just do something you love.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Well, if you're aiming to emulate Gandhi, Law at UCL would be the obvious choice...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hhioh)
    Hey,

I achieved 10A*'s, 1A and 1B in GCSE's. Im currently in AS and am studying Maths, Further Maths, History and Philosophy.

I want to be a political leader when I grow up - like Gandhi for example. I was wondering what courses would be good for that kind of all round intellectual stuff?

Assuming money isn't an issue what universities + courses do you think would be good?
    For all round intellectual stuff aimed at politics and using the subjects you're doing for A level, I'd say PPE (Politics, Philosophy and Economics). With those grades, I'd thoroughly recommend Oxford as somewhere to try for - good at all 3 subjects, developed lots of political leaders and lots of great all round intellectual stuff like guest lectures, speakers and societies to get involved in.

ReputationRep:
    @Drogue

I heard Oxford is really hard to get into? What would you suggest doing to get a head start?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hhioh)
    @Drogue

I heard Oxford is really hard to get into? What would you suggest doing to get a head start?
    It is, but the main thing used to distinguish between people is the interview, so extra-curriculars and previous achievements are of limited value. Tutors tend to look for potential and motivation, so to evidence these it's good to read around the subject a bit and if you can discuss it with people. Then in the interview don't be afraid to think out loud and to show your enthusiasm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hhioh)
    Hey,

Thanks!

EDIT: spelling
    Yet another thread in which you have confused your tenses...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hhioh)
    Sounds as if Mathematics+Philosophy Joint Honours sounds very much suited to you :p: This is offered throughout universities in the UK (Oxford for instance).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economics_girl)
    Hey! You are applying for PPE too! What was it like?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by hhioh)
    Hey! You are applying for PPE too! What was it like?
    Erm, no. She has applied for PPE, whereas you may be applying for PPE in three years' time. There's a slight difference there...:erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Erm, no. She has applied for PPE, whereas you may be applying for PPE in three years' time. There's a slight difference there...:erm:
    (Original post by economics_girl)
    Nobody cares you irritating ***** (hint: it began with a c).

OP there's a whole range of subjects you could study to become a politician. Politics, economics, PPE, english, history, even sciences. Just do well.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Ejit)

OP there's a whole range of subjects you could study to become a politician. Politics, economics, PPE, english, history, even sciences. Just do well.
    How about reading this before making rash judgements about people who have - understandably - become somewhat exasperated with the OP?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    How about reading this before making rash judgements about people who have - understandably - become somewhat exasperated with the OP?:rolleyes:
    Seems polite and ambitious.

You're right. Kill it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Ejit)
    Seems polite and ambitious.

You're right. Kill it.
    I'm sorry, but I have no patience with people who waste other people's time by inventing a series of wholly fictitious (and contradictory) scenarios and asking for 'advice' which will be outdated by the time they actually need it. If they'll ever need it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, but I have no patience with people who waste other people's time by inventing a series of wholly fictitious (and contradictory) scenarios and asking for 'advice' which will be outdated by the time they actually need it. If they'll ever need it.
    Fair enough.

:o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ejit)
    There is no need to react like that when I simply point out that the OP, by his own admission, has made up a purely fictitious scenario.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't agree more

ReputationRep:
    Law or Politics maybe?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.