Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could this be the start of an abscess? watch

ReputationRep:
    I still have a baby tooth with a filling and the gum underneath it is all swollen and tender. It hurts when I completely close my mouth (when the top tooth touchs the bottom one) and hurts when eating. It's only started today I think but did notice the tooth hurting a bit when eating yesterday.

I've had an absess before and ignored it - my whole cheek swelled up and looked like I had been punched in the face!

Would it be best to see my dentist or doctor if it doesnt go away??

ReputationRep:
    Acute abscesses tend to have throbbing, dull pains either during or right before the infection. It will be extremely tender to bite on and touch. The tooth may feel like it's protruding out the socket a bit and you might hit the tooth first when closing. It might be tender on the gum below it.

If it's a baby tooth you'll either need a pulpectomy (much like a root treatment) or extraction.

See your dentist :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnanimity)
    Acute abscesses tend to have throbbing, dull pains either during or right before the infection. It will be extremely tender to bite on and touch. The tooth may feel like it's protruding out the socket a bit and you might hit the tooth first when closing. It might be tender on the gum below it.

If it's a baby tooth you'll either need a pulpectomy (much like a root treatment) or extraction.

See your dentist :p:
    What exactly do they do in root treatment? I don't really want it taken out - haven't got an 'adult tooth' to grow through.
    I think I was about 10 when I had an abscess last time and can't remember what they did for it! Sure they just gave an injection in the gum or something and the swelling went down!

How do people normally get absess'? because i've got a lot of ulcers at the moment about 7 and a few started bleeding near where the tooth - its not to do with that is it?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Having a lot of ulcers can be a sign that something is not quite right - I'd say seven was quite a lot.

Your pain might be a simple infection that can be treated with antibiotics. It may even be the tooth being pushed out by the new one. Either way don't panic and just make an appointment with your dentist in the morning, explain to them your symptoms if they say there is a wait.

Don't be worrying about root canal quite yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    What exactly do they do in root treatment? I don't really want it taken out - haven't got an 'adult tooth' to grow through.
    I think I was about 10 when I had an abscess last time and can't remember what they did for it! Sure they just gave an injection in the gum or something and the swelling went down!

How do people normally get absess'? because i've got a lot of ulcers at the moment about 7 and a few started bleeding near where the tooth - its not to do with that is it?:confused:
    No, ulcers are generally unrelated to abscesses. You may get a blister on your gum if the infection tracks out and drains the abscess.

Abscesses are infections around the root of the tooth. This can be caused by a number of things including trauma, gum infection but by far the most common is dental decay that is so deep it has infected the nerve of the tooth and caused it to be inflamed and/or die. The infection travels down the root of the tooth and causes an infection around the end of the root. This is probably the case for you since there's already a filling in there. If you had a swollen face the last time then yes, they may have drained with with a needle.

A root treatment involved cleaning and shaping the root canal of the tooth and disinfecting it to eliminate infection.

(Original post by smellysocks)
    Having a lot of ulcers can be a sign that something is not quite right - I'd say seven was quite a lot.

Your pain might be a simple infection that can be treated with antibiotics. It may even be the tooth being pushed out by the new one. Either way don't panic and just make an appointment with your dentist in the morning, explain to them your symptoms if they say there is a wait.

Dental infections are only treated with antibiotics if anaesthesia is a problem or the infection is producing body symptoms :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellysocks)

Will make an appointment tommorow - I've had enough of the dentist though not long had my brace off and had all my teeth polished etc.. grrr
    I woke up this morning with dried blood all over the side of my lips from my ulcers i think so i'm sure it's spread to my tooth or something!!

I always have reacurring ulcers - i've had up to 20 at one time. :/
    My dad had loads at my age too and his dad. I went to doctor bout them ages ago and they said recurring ulcers can run in the family.

read this:

An unlucky 12% of the population suffer from mouth ulcers repeatedly. Usually the problem starts in childhood or adolescence, and seems to get better in the 40s. Typically, the ulcers come in crops of one to five at a time. The mouth is remarkably good at healing, so the ulcers last for only a week or two. Then a few weeks later it may happen again. In 1 in 3 sufferers, it seems to run in the family because of an inherited tendency

ReputationRep:
    Will make an appointment tommorow - I've had enough of the dentist though not long had my brace off and had all my teeth polished etc.. grrr
    I woke up this morning with dried blood all over the side of my lips from my ulcers i think so i'm sure it's spread to my tooth or something!!

I always have reacurring ulcers - i've had up to 20 at one time. :/
    My dad had loads at my age too and his dad. I went to doctor bout them ages ago and they said recurring ulcers can run in the family.

read this:

An unlucky 12% of the population suffer from mouth ulcers repeatedly. Usually the problem starts in childhood or adolescence, and seems to get better in the 40s. Typically, the ulcers come in crops of one to five at a time. The mouth is remarkably good at healing, so the ulcers last for only a week or two. Then a few weeks later it may happen again. In 1 in 3 sufferers, it seems to run in the family because of an inherited tendency
    I can assure you that recurring ulcers are not related to toothache. They can related to a number of physical, medical conditions (B-12/folate deficiency, coeliac's disease, inflammatory bowel disorders, nutritional problems, viral infections). But certainly not toothache... If your dentist says your ulcer is causing an abscess, I'll eat my hat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnanimity)
    I can assure you that recurring ulcers are not related to toothache. They can related to a number of physical, medical conditions (B-12/folate deficiency, coeliac's disease, inflammatory bowel disorders, nutritional problems, viral infections). But certainly not toothache... If your dentist says your ulcer is causing an abscess, I'll eat my hat.

I didn't say recurring mouth ulcers are related to toothache???

I wondered if one of my mouth ulcers bleeding may have spread infection to my tooth or something?

EDIT :

Just typed into google has come up with this -

Possible complications
    Untreated, mouth ulcers can occasionally lead to complications including:

Bacterial infection
    Inflammation of the mouth (cellulitis)
    Tooth abscess.

ReputationRep:
    I had an abcess late last year. My face swelled up and I looked like a hamster!. Anyway I went to the doctor ( dont currently have a dentist and cannot get in anywhere near me) and he gave me a 7 day course of anti biotics which did the trick.

ReputationRep:

I wondered if one of my mouth ulcers bleeding may have spread infection to my tooth or something?

EDIT :

Just typed into google has come up with this -

Possible complications
    Untreated, mouth ulcers can occasionally lead to complications including:

Bacterial infection
    Inflammation of the mouth (cellulitis)
    Tooth abscess.
    *sigh* ok.

Google knows best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qiaodigg)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.