Determining the gender of a foetus is banned in India? watch

• View Poll Results: What do you think
    Your reasons for having an abortion shouldn't matter, even this
    23.40%
    I am Pro-Choice but I would have an issue with this
    76.60%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    "Pro-choice" has nothing to do with knowing the sex of your foetus.
    I know that. What I meant is that I was confused by your interpretation of "rights". No one has the right to know the gender of the child, yet they ultimately have the right to decide the fate of that child? You would think of she has the right for the latter then knowing the gender is a minor issue in comparison. You're essentially arguing that the development of the foetus is no one's business except whether or not they want to terminate it. Am I reading that right? Please correct me if not, and if you could maybe try to explain this to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    I know that. What I meant is that I was confused by your interpretation of "rights". No one has the right to know the gender of the child, yet they ultimately have the right to decide the fate of that child? You would think of she has the right for the latter then knowing the gender is a minor issue in comparison. You're essentially arguing that the development of the foetus is no one's business except whether or not they want to terminate it. Am I reading that right? Please correct me if not, and if you could maybe try to explain this to me
    There are two separate issues which are not really related to each other. I think people have the right to an abortion. Therefore it'd be wrong to deny someone an abortion, whatever their reason. I don't think it's a person's right to know the sex of their foetus. Therefore I don't care if someone denies them that knowledge in order to prevent massive gender imbalances in a country where that's a problem.

They're only related inasmuch as they are both about foetuses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    For someone who identifies them-self as 'Pro-Choice', it's strange that you're claiming one doesn't have the right to know the gender of the child, and yet you clearly believe in the right to terminate the pregnancy?
    I don't think they're saying it's wrong to know the gender of the baby. I think what they're saying is its not a basic human right to know. You cannot change the gender of the baby, you will find out regardless, and it shouldn't play a factor in the love a child receives, so it's not really a big deal if parents don't have this option. In an ideal society, whether you knew the gender of the baby wouldn't make a big difference, and so can't really be regarded as a human right.

Whereas whether a mother is or isn't allowed to abort a child could possibly be considered a right, depending on your point of view.

-----

I'm not sure where I stand on this. Its difficult. Is it really best to force a family into having a child that they were quite prepared to kill? I can't imagine it would be a great life growing up knowing your parents would have gladly aborted you if they had known your gender sooner.

Would it be better to allow the family to have sons that would receive more love and care, rather than daughters who would grow up hated and resented by their own parents?

In extreme cases, it could even lead to parents murdering children. I'm not suggesting this would be the norm, but we know it's happened before. It's hard to assess what the effects would be.

ReputationRep:
    I strongly agree with banning the tests.it's wrong to do it on a gender basis.:mad: whatever be ur opinions on abortion but im pretty sure if it was me i wouldn't want to know whether I was having a girl or a boy.and i wouldnt abort it until it should really be done.

ReputationRep:
    Female foeticide is a massive problem in India, particularly north Indian villages and small towns. While I am pro-choice, I think in cases like this it is an excuse to let sexism and resulting systems like dowry and not sending girls to school prevail.

ReputationRep:
    If you're too poor, then don't have kids. Have some restrait.

I agree with banning the test, but it will make little or no difference.
    I only agree with abortion when it is absolutely necessary. Therefore I would see it as wrong to destroy a baby for a "cosmetic" reason, such as its gender and physical capabilities.

This is want happens when advanced technology comes into the hands an underdeveloped and desperate nation. It is abused.

Plus, a disproportionate gender ratio is damaging for India's development. The reason that India has this problem is its own fault.

It seems to me that, rather than inventing laws that they cannot enforce, they should put their efforts into the hard job of giving women more rights so they can work and support families, as well as getting rid of the dowry. I'm not saying its going to happen overnight, but its something they need to think about for the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WizardandRattle)
    When indians embrace the female race and treat them as equals such as we europeans do. Only then can they be trusted not to destroy female babies.
    Lol... yep they are a different race. :rolleyes:

OP - your poll doesn't include an option for people like me:

Pro-life; against most abortions unless the mother's health is threatened; and very much sickened by the high abortion rate for female foetuses in India so agrees with this law.

I remember reading these signs at hospitals in India - that the gender will not be disclosed, even to the middle-class, modern and secular or Islamic / Christian families who won't be aborting, especially not on the grounds of gender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CommonPeople)
    If you're too poor, then don't have kids. Have some restrait.
    You have no idea about life as a poor Indian villager. To these people, an extra child is an extra means of income - often the difference between one extra child and one fewer is that the family will have enough to eat with the next child, than without. It's very sad but absolute poverty can push even the best people to sad extremes.

It's is nothing to do with not having the restraint.

This is want happens when advanced technology comes into the hands an underdeveloped and desperate nation. It is abused.
    Oh really? So abortions haven't been performed for thousands of years then? Because I'm sure they have - and ancient practices were employed to predict the gender from external pressure etc. and calculated guesses were made. It is deeply engrained in some of these cultures and is nothing to do with "new technology" entering a "desperate nation". :rolleyes:

It seems to me that, rather than inventing laws that they cannot enforce...
    It has been enforced pretty well if you ask me. There have been huge crackdowns on back-street abortionists and whilst the problem still exists, the law has been a good thing. It shows that the practice will not be tolerated.

(Original post by Tsukuyomi)
    The stupid thing, about all of this is that, if everybody aborts their baby because she is female, what will happen next....... will these folks start having sex with the same sex
    The stupid thing is you are another arrogant person who knows nothing of the culture behind the problem and yet still feels qualified to barge in with your stupid opinions.

Do you think these poor villagers consider the vast demographic effect 50 years down the line? Or do they predict their own financial ruin as they have to pay the dowry to have their daughter married off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    You have no idea about life as a poor Indian villager. To these people, an extra child is an extra means of income - often the difference between one extra child and one fewer is that the family will have enough to eat with the next child, than without. It's very sad but absolute poverty can push even the best people to sad extremes.

It's is nothing to do with not having the restraint.

Oh really? So abortions haven't been performed for thousands of years then? Because I'm sure they have - and ancient practices were employed to predict the gender from external pressure etc. and calculated guesses were made. It is deeply engrained in some of these cultures and is nothing to do with "new technology" entering a "desperate nation". :rolleyes:

It has been enforced pretty well if you ask me. There have been huge crackdowns on back-street abortionists and whilst the problem still exists, the law has been a good thing. It shows that the practice will not be tolerated.

The stupid thing is you are another arrogant person who knows nothing of the culture behind the problem and yet still feels qualified to barge in with your stupid opinions.

Do you think these poor villagers consider the vast demographic effect 50 years down the line? Or do they predict their own financial ruin as they have to pay the dowry to have their daughter married off?

Well for one, I'm sure I don't have any idea what it is to be an Indian Villager, but I don't condone killing babies. I don't think that lack of money justifies murder. Justice should be the same the world over. I'm not trying to deny that it happens, but I'm not going to say, "Poor them, let them kill all the babies they want!". Plenty of babies are killed after they are born, do you agree with that too?

As for technology, you sound incredibly ignorant. I do not remember saying "Abortions have not been used until very recently". Don't twist my words. I said, 'advanced technology' referring to how modern abortions are widely available, effective and safe. The system has been abused in India, its the reason this whole thread exists, so don't try to deny that. Do you think that if current abortion techniques weren't available then it would be happening on such a scale that is it? It would be happening yes, but not to this extent.

You contradict yourself. You justify abortion by talking of the poverty in Indian villages, yet mock me for calling it a 'desperate nation'. How odd. Perfectly content with their poverty, are they?

Enforced pretty well? You just said that modern abortions had nothing to do with the problem. Surely then cracking down on the back-door abortionists would have no difference? Obviously not.

However, I agree that it sets a good example to the public, but instilling a feeling of shame isn't going to relieve these people of they're problems. It isn't going to fix the heart of the matter.

ReputationRep:
    Abortion is a path to the dark side.

ReputationRep:
    Some people can't even have children and would do anything to have a child regardless of gender. I think it's sad that these potential babies' lives are being destroyed for a reason so stupid.
    Firstly people need to realise that females and males are more or less equal.
    Secondly they need to scrap that dowry idea.
    And then finally, life will work out just fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRealDarthVader)
    Abortion is a path to the dark side.
    Regardless of your gender, and of mine, I will have sex with you.

You are freaking awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Surely this is the worst possible thing they could do. It just means that people are more likely to kill their daughters as soon as they've been born, as they do in many places where they can't abort and people did in the past before abortion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoyoxx)
    Some people can't even have children and would do anything to have a child regardless of gender. I think it's sad that these potential babies' lives are being destroyed for a reason so stupid.
    Firstly people need to realise that females and males are more or less equal.
    Secondly they need to scrap that dowry idea.
    And then finally, life will work out just fine
    You're kidding right? You think males and females are "equal" in that country? It's not just society that oppresses women. It's religion too. Even the Holy christian bible says that women are created to serve men. I can't be too sure, but isn't this belief emphasized over there?

Another thing is, most who post here are thousands of times better off than those whom they are judging. I'm no Indian Villager, but I can understand why these people would want to have a son at any cost.
    In poorer countries, where having a roof over your head and a decent meal is a constant problem, children become assets first, then objects of love second. The fact is, males have a better chance of getting a good job in those countries, because of better education, the belief of their role society, strength to do manual labour etc. A household may have the resources to raise a single child, but this could only be economic if this child is a male due to sexism in the country.

I think it would be a better idea if only richer families were banned from finding out the gender of their child. That way, if it is a girl, then they'd have the resources to look after it.
    A poorer family would probably report the death of a baby girl in an "accident" anyway. So I think officials in India should be more tactful on how they go about the banning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hest)
    You're kidding right? You think males and females are "equal" in that country? It's not just society that oppresses women. It's religion too. Even the Holy christian bible says that women are created to serve men. I can't be too sure, but isn't this belief emphasized over there?

Another thing is, most who post here are thousands of times better off than those whom they are judging. I'm no Indian Villager, but I can understand why these people would want to have a son at any cost.
    In poorer countries, where having a roof over your head and a decent meal is a constant problem, children become assets first, then objects of love second. The fact is, males have a better chance of getting a good job in those countries, because of better education, the belief of their role society, strength to do manual labour etc. A household may have the resources to raise a single child, but this could only be economic if this child is a male due to sexism in the country.

I think it would be a better idea if only richer families were banned from finding out the gender of their child. That way, if it is a girl, then they'd have the resources to look after it.
    A poorer family would probably report the death of a baby girl in an "accident" anyway. So I think officials in India should be more tactful on how they go about the banning.
    I agree with this post, but I don't think Yoyoxx was actually wrong. I think by "people" she meant society and religion as a whole. All she said was that the above system was wrong and should be changed, which is a reasonable statement. She wasn't saying genders are equal in India, she was saying they should be. & She didn't actually reference the test anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    If you think that abortion before how ever many weeks, because you can't afford a baby is morally acceptable, then why is it suddenly morally unacceptable to have an abortion before how ever many weeks, because you can't afford to have a girl?

Sooner or later there will be so few girls it will be the mans family who is paying the girls family - the clever parent in the village where no girls have been born in a decade should have a girl and then demand payment themselves, instead of having to pay.

I think it is pretty patronising to say that "Indians can't be trusted" to be allowed to determine the gender of a foetus. If they want to, let them. If it is for financial reasons, then market forces will solve the problem. If it is for cultural reasons, then that is their choice.

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculous. This is now just going to mean there will be more abandoned little girls running around India.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    If the people cant realistically afford to have a girl why should they be forced into having one?
    Thats not an issue, they can afford the boy, therefore they should be able to afford a girl. This could lead to situation where a boy cnat find a girl because there are no girls, to put simply. Demographics

ReputationRep:
    I think abortion on the grounds of gender is aborant. I am pro choice but aborting every girl is a terrible reflection on people's attitudes.

Girls are becoming scarce in some parts of India and China due to their one child policy and abortion and infanticide. Its estimated there are more 24 million Chinese men than women and its a similar situation in India. Some men, especially if they are poor will find anyone to marry so they can blame their parents for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    I think abortion on the grounds of gender is aborant. I am pro choice but aborting every girl is a terrible reflection on people's attitudes.

Girls are becoming scarce in some parts of India and China due to their one child policy and abortion and infanticide. Its estimated there are more 24 million Chinese men than women and its a similar situation in India. Some men, especially if they are poor will find anyone to marry so they can blame their parents for that.
    What on grounds do you think abortion therefore is reasonable?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.