Determining the gender of a foetus is banned in India? watch

• View Poll Results: What do you think
    Your reasons for having an abortion shouldn't matter, even this
    23.40%
    I am Pro-Choice but I would have an issue with this
    76.60%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    What on grounds do you think abortion therefore is reasonable?
    I know many women have abortions that are for social rather than medical reasons, I do not like it but I do not think I should impose my will on women.

ReputationRep:
    The law doesn't make it illegal to abort babies, only to disclose the sex of the baby. You can still abort your foetus, you will just have to do so without knowing whether it's a boy or a girl .

You can argue about whether this infringes on someone's rights or not (it's actually difficult to say that it does, really. I don't know what "natural" right obliges someone to tell you that), but the aim of this law - to prevent a disastrous demographic timebomb from exploding in your country - justifies it, in my view.

ReputationRep:
    If you're too poor, then don't have kids. Have some restrait.
    Not as simple as it sounds. Children are often seen as extra earning hands in poor families in India.
    This is want happens when advanced technology comes into the hands an underdeveloped and desperate nation. It is abused.
    Female foeticide has been heavily prevalent in rural India long before "advanced technology" came in. In fact, it is most prevalent in rural north India, where technology is actually less widely available, but education rates are low and practices such as dowry still exist. The emergence of female foeticide and its prevalence has nothing to do with "advanced technology coming into the hands of an underdeveloped and desperate nation".:rolleyes:

Plus, a disproportionate gender ratio is damaging for India's development. The reason that India has this problem is its own fault.
    I agree with this, the problem is a result of sexism and superstition passed down through generations.

It seems to me that, rather than inventing laws that they cannot enforce, they should put their efforts into the hard job of giving women more rights so they can work and support families, as well as getting rid of the dowry. I'm not saying its going to happen overnight, but its something they need to think about for the future.
    This isn't some specific brand new law, it is an exception introduced to an existing law(over abortion) to prevent abuse. Recently, laws have actually been introduced(and in many cases well-executed) to curb domestic violence, while anti-dowry laws have seen a strong increase in their enforcement in recent years.

ReputationRep:
    In some parts of Britain, its hospital policy not to tell parents the sex of a foetus. I think this is more common in areas with a high % of ethnic minorities. Its probably to do with preventing gender based abortions.

ReputationRep:
    The Dowry should so be on the male, to balance the 'negative' effects of having a girl.

However, as this is not likely to happen, gender-based abortion should be banned in India. That is not an ideological question, but a purely pragmatic one. As we can see, female are certainly a rare breed in India, and what usually happens when you have a big, young, poor, unmarried (ie sexually frustrated), male demographic? Political turmoil and upheaval. We don't want that, so better get those chaps access to women and marriage!

Of course, there's also the more commonly voiced arguments against such abortions, but this is just for a pragmatic POV.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care one way or another really. What I do think is that focusing on this issue is trying to treat the symptom, not the cause. If India really wants gender equality they should be concentrating on education and the huge levels of violence against women.

ReputationRep:
    Where's the poll option for pro-lifers?

It's pretty bad, we don't want to have a skew like China or Yemen.

One of the good things the Indian government has done

ReputationRep:
    I agree with what some people here are saying here about the sex ratio. If the figures on how many female foetuses being aborted are true, eventually you're going to end up with a very imbalanced sex ratio, think of all the problems that will cause. For this reason, I feel it should be banned.

ReputationRep:
    Is India's selective abortion attitude against female foetuses really that different to Britain's stance against the "disabled"? Given that people have aborted foetuses with acute forms of disability, many of which can be rectified through corrective surgery, I don't think Britain, being the abortion capital of western Europe, can point the finger.

ReputationRep:
    I assume that the reason girls are unpopular is because they can't help with the manual labour?
    Ultimately there's an underlying sociological problem in India, one that will take some time to sort out.
    I guess the underlying moral position here as well is one of playing god over nature, which frankly I have no problem with, after all most of our society IS NOT natural. However if this is used to abort children rather than just to have some unnatural knowledge then it is wrong, I only agree with abortion under extreme circumstances and early as well. But of course who is to say that the family won't kill the child or send it to an orphanage and try again for a boy if they're so desperate for a boy? There's a lot of different things going on here. So no it's not right if it will lead to an abortion for that reason, but it's fine if it won't.

ReputationRep:
    Lets be honest, there is hardly gonna be a shortage of people in India any time soon. If you can have an abortion because of how it will affect your life when the baby is born, and you could cope easier with having a boy, and the liberals have already established it's fine and dandy to kill your baby what is the problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    I know many women have abortions that are for social rather than medical reasons, I do not like it but I do not think I should impose my will on women.
    This reasoning is just to evade criticism from radical feminists. We impose our ethics and morals in other walks of life so why is pregnancy so different? The woman is carrying the baby yes, but I can argue for bodily sovereignty for non-problematic drug usage. Can't see why I can't have the monthly speck of cocaine since it's not harming anyone else. The same will apply if I have a hot sister and we don't care about committing incest. But pro-choicers who have an issue with India make me laugh. Many of these people will happily abort a child when it is not convenient for them, or if the foetus suffers from a disability. So why is gender so different?

ReputationRep:
    Read OP and vote please

ReputationRep:
    Well normally I would be against the government making restrictions like this. I can understand the position of banning abortion altogether, or only allow it for health reasons. But if it's to be allowed in general, then ideally the government wouldn't interfere like this.

However in this case it is actually causing a significant problem in society. So maybe it's for the best until they sort out the problems with their culture.

ReputationRep:
    Need more votes

ReputationRep:
    The hospital I was born in had this same policy; it was in a very Asian area of London and they had a lot of Asian mothers aborting female babies, so they put a blanket ban on gender-determination unless for family health reasons (for example, if haemophilia runs in the family.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakePearson)
    Where's the poll option for pro-lifers?
    This is exactly what I thought!!! I strongly believe that the only time abortion should EVER be allowed is if the mother's life will be directly threatened as a result of the pregnancy. How can we decide which baby's can live and which cannot, we are not God. I agree, however, that gender selection, using IVF, should be STRICTLY REGULATED and only used to stop a serious genetic disorder from being carried on. However, abortion should not be allowed if a genetic abnormality is found in the foetus as no doctor can say the severity with which a child will be affected by any given disability or how their quality of life will be untiul they're born.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.