Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Taking a year out before applying for Cambridge Masters watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am about to complete a BSc in Psychology and Neuroscience from the University of Keele and will graduate in July 2010. I am on course to receive a 1st. I would like to progress to Masters study at Cambridge but do not wish to do so until the 2011-2012 academic year. In the meantime I plan to take a year out to live in Spain where I will teach English and work on improving my own Spanish.

However, I am 30 years old and wonder how taking 'a year out' at my age will seem when it comes to making a Masters application. I have very good reasons for not having gone to university when I was younger (this is my first degree which I commenced in 2007) but I wonder if the desire to have fun abroad for a year (even with my noble ambitions above) won't look a little strange in the eyes of Cambridge admissions tutors.

Is there anyone who has been or knows of someone who has been a similar situation who can advise me?

Cheers
    Andy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrAJFarmer)
    I am about to complete a BSc in Psychology and Neuroscience from the University of Keele and will graduate in July 2010. I am on course to receive a 1st. I would like to progress to Masters study at Cambridge but do not wish to do so until the 2011-2012 academic year. In the meantime I plan to take a year out to live in Spain where I will teach English and work on improving my own Spanish.

However, I am 30 years old and wonder how taking 'a year out' at my age will seem when it comes to making a Masters application. I have very good reasons for not having gone to university when I was younger (this is my first degree which I commenced in 2007) but I wonder if the desire to have fun abroad for a year (even with my noble ambitions above) won't look a little strange in the eyes of Cambridge admissions tutors.

Is there anyone who has been or knows of someone who has been a similar situation who can advise me?

Cheers
    Andy.
    I know plenty of people here in their late, late twenties and early thirties, and the occasional person in their forties/fifties. I doubt your age will be an issue.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Makes no difference. Graduates come from a variety of backgrounds and are a variety of ages so it won't matter in the slightest.

ReputationRep:

Cheers
    Andy.
    Hi, Andy. I have to concur fully with the other posts. If it provides you with any comfort, I shall be venturing to Cam this autumn to do an MPhil after working in a profession (the law). I get the strong impression that at postgrad level applicants, and indeed those ultimately selected, come from a rich diversity of backgrounds.

My take on your situation would be as follows (1) your 'age': irrelevant; (2) your Spanish ambitions: make you, if anything, more interesting. I would suggest you go for it if that is your heart's desire! Very best of luck.

ReputationRep:

Cheers
    Andy.
    Do not worry so much! Ironically, your age might actually work in your favour as mature students are considered "non-typical" students, though I am not sure how much of an issue that is at postgraduate level since funding is removed and social issues become less prevalent with regards to politics... Anyhoo, on a postgraduate open-day visit I met a PhD student who was in his late forties and had spent - if I remember correctly - thirteen years in South Korea teaching English, and was researching something to do with second-language acquisition in South-East Asians.

In summary, there are loads of reason people take one or more years out before doing a postgraduate degree, and the ones who go onto further study are typically: those being funded; those who love their subject and do not care being bankrupt (hihi); and those who want to avoid reality. What would look better: someone taking a year out for honest reasons and building other skills and making money or an apathetic undergraduate who wants to avoid the real world?

ReputationRep:
    I take my hat off to you for going back to university at your age.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you try to apply this year? Even though you have a low chance of admission (I'm not sure about this), you can have a first hand experience of the admission process and interview etc, so that you know what quality they are looking for. You can better equip yourself during this year off and it further enhance your chance next year.

If fortunately they offer you a place, you can consider finish the course before going to Spain. It's one year anyway. The application fee is cheap and there is no harm to have a try.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.